Stay On The Leader

@FFGOP tweets: no x-wing FAQ is planned

1 minute ago, RampancyTW said:

The premise was that it was more diverse than the last couple of years.  Word-for-word how this whole thing started.

My bad. I took those two to be the same.

Fortunately, the best data is for the last 3 regional years (data gets increasingly more sparse the farther back you go after that, or I would have pulled the fat han meta).

My premise was that the current season's meta is more diverse than the last two. You're counter point seems to be, "well, not by much."

I've yet to be show otherwise and I've stated my reasons for believing what I've stated. THEN when data I used (some list juggler) was compared to further reaching data (more list juggler), nothing changed for me.

I will say this, @Tlfj200...  the fact that you came back into this thread after I entered, to respectfully counter point, speaks volumes. That's more than can be said for @Chumbalaya's methods of discussion.

Edited by Sephlar

The longer the frustration with the current meta goes on, the more apparent it is that this community depends on errata or new releases to continue to enjoy the game competitively. 

The game always hits a wall after a few months once the top 1-4 lists are identified. Then all the Johnny’s call for another faq release so they can feel like they have a chance to compete, and Spikes bite the bullet and play the latest  NPE to get their competitive edge, even if they don’t love it because they enjoy winning enough to do so.

My counterpoint is basically the equivalent of "statistically insignificant" (although this isn't a statistical analysis).

Trying to bank on a technicality (which I note doesn't hold when I bother to do the work to separate 'mindlink,' which is far too broad of a category) defeats the spirit of the premise: that the meta is more varied. 

I guess I'm struggling with even if it's technically true (which it isn't), but not effectively significant, what's the point that is trying to be made? Because the varied argument is usually coupled with "everything is fine," or "things now are better than before". 

Take, for instance, an earlier assertion:

2 hours ago, Sephlar said:

I remember regionals that had cuts to top 16's just a little more than a year ago in which 13 of the 16 lists had jumpmasters in them. That kind of similarity in list simply does NOT exist in the current competitive/regional meta at the moment.

Like, if we look at Hanover's top 8... it's basically just a bunch of similar rebel lists. The argument is that functionally, not technically, the meta is more varied, to the point people can feel it. 

I can never attest to people's personal local metas, but... the world-wide meta is about as varied as it has ever been, like @SOTL also noted.

Pretty sure most of the sadness is just due to the fact that we are still basically fighting with or against Pre-Nerf Biggs archetypes most of the time. 

Not even the Great Nerf and the all mighty Harpoon was able to change that. 

A few ships have new names and new abilities but the gameplay is substantively identical to last summer before we were all set "free". 

Don't look to the FAQ to save you. 

It is folly. 

Look to the sky. 

When did the Biggs FAQ drop? Late October? 

For kicks, I just dug up a few of my threads from back in Sept/Oct last year when I first started to think more seriously about competitive X-Wing.  

Not an expert by any means, not now, not then.

Not much has changed really. So in a weird way, everyone is correct? 

October 2017 Meta Ramble 

Lots of stuff back then that I hardly think about now...but Miranda, VCX, Dash, Biggs...its all the same. 

Edited by Boom Owl

The tweet specifies BEFORE WORLDS. I think that's a pretty big qualifier, and justifies their response in my eyes. 

They won't want to rock the boat before worlds; 1. Because everyone has most likely been practicing a 'problem' list, or has been practicing how to beat a 'problem' list for the last few months in preparation. 2. This is the quickest and easiest way for them to collate a large amount of data in order to properly analyze the issue ships/pilots as well as the vacuum nerfing said things will create. You can take that comment with a grain of salt, but they waited until after Worlds to kneecap the Jumpmasters and Biggs.

To be fair, there would be an equal or greater uproar if they did drop an FAQ with errata a week or 2 before Worlds.

8 hours ago, BVRCH said:

To be fair, there would be an equal or greater uproar if they did drop an FAQ with errata a week or 2 before Worlds.

Well, they've done it before, when they took Deadeye away from Jumpmasters.

But yes, this says one isn't planned.  It doesn't say there will never be another FAQ.  It just settles all the feverish speculation that one was due any minute now.

13 hours ago, SOTL said:

Well, they've done it before, when they took Deadeye away from Jumpmasters.

But yes, this says one isn't planned.  It doesn't say there will never be another FAQ.  It just settles all the feverish speculation that one was due any minute now.

Yeah and outrage ensued. We all knew it was for the best, but a lot weren't very happy with the timing.

Exactly. Its simply states there won't be one before worlds, nothing more.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1_J3AIXkNT7tMNSTLjb2zXlXf4r9Ak0nQnWfnChNtv04/edit?usp=sharing

Via Chris Brown Worlds Judge from Worlds Marshal Frank Brooks

Q: If I call Palpatine on my Lightweight Frame roll, what dice can I change?

A: Only the die rolled for Lightweight Frame

Q: Torani attacks a ship and uses her ability on the defender. Can Jostero fire at that ship which took a damage?

A: No, the ship is still the defender and cannot be targetted by Jostero.

Q: When using Flight-Assist Astromech, can I measure then choose not to perform a boost or barrel roll?

A: No, the player must declare their intent to do a boost or barrel roll prior to measuring.

Q: Can you use Juke on the evade given from reinforce?

A: No, Juke happens first.

Q: Miranda with a cruise missile and Jan Ors nearby. How many dice can it roll?

A: This is a hard cap of 5 dice.

Q: Scum Nym runs over a cluster mine. Does the mine explode or not? Does Nym ignore triggering it or just the affect?

A: The bomb still detonates. Only the affect is ignored.

Q: A ship lands on a proximity mine and Rebel Nym prevents it from exploding. Does Nym have to reuse his ability at the beginning of the planning phase because it's a new round?

A: Yes, if the ship is still overlapping the mine, Nym must choose to let it detonate or not.trigger in planning phase

Q: When applying the affect of a tractor beam token, can the boost/barrel roll template overlap an obstacle?

A: Yes

Q: A bomb triggers which could cause multiple nexted affects. What triggers when?

A: Bomb owner chooses who is hit first. Trigger any nested affects using initiative. Then proceed to the next ship hit by the bomb.

Q: Can Lowhhrick give an evade to a ship that is locked and being shot by Omega Leader.

A: No, Lowhhrick causes the ship to do the add, which it cannot do because of Omega Leader.

For people wondering about outstanding rules questions, this was on gold squad podcast. 

About half od those are correct.  Not going into which half lol.

Came into the thread mostly to point out that an FAQ is now inevitable, and had better be issued on release day for the wave, because currently, none of the X-Wings *including the X-Wings IN THIS BOX* can actually USE it.

1 minute ago, thespaceinvader said:

About half od those are correct.  Not going into which half lol.

Came into the thread mostly to point out that an FAQ is now inevitable, and had better be issued on release day for the wave, because currently, none of the X-Wings *including the X-Wings IN THIS BOX* can actually USE it.

It will be on the rules sheet 

1 minute ago, thespaceinvader said:

Yeah, I guess, maybe. It would feel weird to have errata to existing pilots be on the rules sheet in another set though, I hope they do include it in the FAQ.

I agree... I was thinking that, if the future FAQ (that includes this correction) rolls back the dreaded TLT, X-Wing Swarms will be the BOMB!!!