Sign in to follow this  
gmcc

How good is this ?

I'm loving it so far (5 games in). 

It's best to split two core sets with someone else to get the biggest bang for your buck. It seems like this is going to be a good game for choosing a single faction. After the split of two cores, get a heavy, and you should be set until the next releases come out!

Here are two questions; What is your budget and do you plan on playing in tournaments.

the sheer value for building armies makes the purchase of a second core set very good - and I am someone who doesn't like getting repeats of products.

However, and while this could theoretically be fixes with after market purchases, there are grappling hooks, which can be terribly useful, and different grenades in the troop expansions.  These are not found in the core set.  In a tourney setting, you need these cards.     

So, if money is no object, forgo the core for other expansions.   But, know that the core only includes half the dice you need to play, dice are sold seperately, bit at a 5th of the cost of a core.   The core is ar REALLY good deal.  

1 hour ago, That Blasted Samophlange said:

Here are two questions; What is your budget and do you plan on playing in tournaments.

the sheer value for building armies makes the purchase of a second core set very good - and I am someone who doesn't like getting repeats of products.

However, and while this could theoretically be fixes with after market purchases, there are grappling hooks, which can be terribly useful, and different grenades in the troop expansions.  These are not found in the core set.  In a tourney setting, you need these cards.     

So, if money is no object, forgo the core for other expansions.   But, know that the core only includes half the dice you need to play, dice are sold seperately, bit at a 5th of the cost of a core.   The core is ar REALLY good deal.  

hm no i dont plan on go in tournaments yet , since its very new in my country and not many people play it. my budget can go with core and some  more extras.

i dont find the idea of getting 2 cores excting too since i never did it and dont know how good it is , but everyone says i should get one so im like yea.. :S

I got two cores worth of Empire (traded someone my rebel stuff) and 1 speeder bike expansion.  

That let's me play an 800 point empire list, so much fun and has been really cost effective.  

I don't have the AT-ST yet, but with three speeder bikes, I'm having too much fun to go get it.  

Edited by ImperialOfficer

I think players will be better of waiting to get the grappling hooks and new grenades when they become available in the Fleet/Snowtrooper expansions.  This is particularly true if you're swapping core set contents with another player, as I think overall the grenades in the core set are more valuable.

The game is fun and exudes star wars, which is good.  Models are not GW quality, but they're good to paint so the hobby aspect is good.  If you're not into the hobby aspect you'd still need some super glue to get some of the units together, so it's not as accessable as some games out of the box.

My only real complaint about the game play is that sometimes the game feels like it plays itself.  The command system is very reactive as opposed to proactive.  Which means you can be in a situation where you pull a random token and there's really only one move to make.

I was apprehensive about defense dice, but this game does it well.  Probably 2nd only to X-Wing in how they use defense dice.  Definitely better than IA.

I did not get two cores.  Mainly becasue I didn't want 7 extra rebel troopers and 7 extra stormtroopers.  I wanted 3 corps of each and it's fine with me becasue sooooo many corps units are going to be coming via expansion I don't want to have the extra task of painting them, and then just chucking them eventually because like every FFG game Core set units end up getting surpassed in power after a while.

2 hours ago, The Cocky Rooster said:

How do you guys teach the game to friends if you are trading away a whole faction? It limits you to store/tournaments only. 

My buddy and I split a Core and each got one, so we got 4 Corps and 2 Support, but still can field a 4-500 pt learning game with Significant Others or friends interested in learning the game.

I haven’t played more than a few skirmish games, but I like the feel of it. The way damage and cover works it really feels like a Star Wars firefight, with lots of blasters shooting but very little getting hit, until you leave cover and instantly lose a squad! I really want to try a full size game soon.

I bought 1 core, 1 AT-ST and 1 Stormtrooper pack, which is enough to run a rigid 800 point army for my imperials. Not a bad buy in price for a full army and half of another one.