Sign in to follow this  
Crit Happens

Disappointed at lack of Legion at worlds

I understand why Legion isn't having it's own tournament this year as it's still so new, and they still haven't even released the tournament rules yet. But I really expected there to be at least a side event to show off their new game. 

I'll be at worlds, and would love to bring my legion stuff to get a couple games in, but am doubtful that they'll have any spare tables, let alone any terrain available. 

Is anyone planning to bring legion to worlds?

If you go into the OP section of the website, they released the first two operations. One being an escalation over 4 games, the second being 4 games with set conditions, deployments, and objectives as well as some narrative text. I’d say it’s pretty safe to say that this will be close to the tournament structure. We just need rules for tie breakers and pretty much everything else. But I anticipate them having the objectives at the least pre-picked for tournaments. 

22 hours ago, Wiredin said:

@Crit Happens hype much?

It does seem strange not to have it. but IA maybe taking up all the ground game space... maybe once it's death is official there will be more room for Legion at big level events.

There will never be an official death to Imperial Assault. FFG's best game will live on forever

On 4/12/2018 at 8:31 AM, Crit Happens said:

I understand why Legion isn't having it's own tournament this year as it's still so new, and they still haven't even released the tournament rules yet. But I really expected there to be at least a side event to show off their new game. 

I'll be at worlds, and would love to bring my legion stuff to get a couple games in, but am doubtful that they'll have any spare tables, let alone any terrain available. 

My money is on that they have a demo set-up and possibly a side event (not publicized yet). They're pushing this game hard core right now and it makes sense to "sell" it to the top Star Wars gamers in the World right in their very own home. 

On 4/12/2018 at 9:56 AM, Wiredin said:

@Crit Happens hype much?

It does seem strange not to have it. but IA maybe taking up all the ground game space... maybe once it's death is official there will be more room for Legion at big level events.

LOL!!! If anything dies it will be Armada. I personally don't see Legion taking off. It's not novel enough to displace current players from their game of choice. Except Armada. It's very similar in a lot of ways. IA is a totally different game and requires less than half the space of Armada. 

I'm assuming that the lack of it is just due to how new the game is. People are still adapting to the rules and figuring out the tricks for it, that just takes time.

You also need time for the more average painters to finish painting their armies, that goes for appearance in drawing people in to want to get into the game.

Until there is a bigger variety in unit choices, you hit the issue of armies being very same looking for those looking at it. This is something that will be fixed soon due to more releases, but at the moment there isn't enough variety there for it. That's one of the selling points for minis games, but it takes time to get to that point...and it should be about next year.

3 minutes ago, NeverBetTheFett said:

LOL!!! If anything dies it will be Armada. I personally don't see Legion taking off. It's not novel enough to displace current players from their game of choice. Except Armada. It's very similar in a lot of ways. IA is a totally different game and requires less than half the space of Armada. 

IA is dead and buried locally. For the most part, stores are not even carrying it here anymore. I personally am very disappointed because I bought in and really want to run a campaign but there just isn't any interest. I've done the first app mission and love how the game works. Sad it didn't take off here. 

Legion is very strong locally, but it's still in the honeymoon phase. We shall see what it does long term. Armada has a small following it seems. X-Wing is the big Star Wars game locally, and most of the X-Wing players are involved in Legion as well. So we shall see. Legion is a fantastic game, and it's only going to get better. 

38 minutes ago, NeverBetTheFett said:

have you visited your local game store?
the game is doing great having a mix of experienced wargamers and new players. In the NorthEast we have a huge X-wing meta and most of that group are on board with the game. 

The game has a slower start here in my meta, but I think it needs a wave more out. Several people have told me they don't want to get involved till there is more options for side.  Right now the only choice is how many Cores you get. At some point a few more expansions down the road, all those Storm troopers are going to be sitting the side lines. Your best bet is to buy in on wave 2 is the truth FFG has shown me.

So I think it's a bit over the top to expect that FFG would have assembled all the terrain etc for a Worlds level event for Legion just a few weeks after the game is out.

Last year Runewars jumped straight into Worlds, skipping store and regionals. In retrospect I don't know that that was a wise move. Worlds should be the best of the best, it's a little early for that especially for Legion. Least Runewars had been out for ~6 months. 

Tho sure do hope that a side event pops up. More fun at Worlds, that's what it's all about. 

2 hours ago, Hidatom said:

have you visited your local game store?
the game is doing great having a mix of experienced wargamers and new players. In the NorthEast we have a huge X-wing meta and most of that group are on board with the game. 

shhhhh. reading the new expansion announcement for IA. 

I bought a used Legion core for $70 CAD off a guy who said he didn't like it. I regret it. 

13 minutes ago, NeverBetTheFett said:

shhhhh. reading the new expansion announcement for IA. 

I bought a used Legion core for $70 CAD off a guy who said he didn't like it. I regret it. 

Not entirely sure why you are here then?  I mean I am all for devils advocate but this just seems like trolling of the most boring variety.

On 4/13/2018 at 1:39 PM, Darkfine said:

Not entirely sure why you are here then?  I mean I am all for devils advocate but this just seems like trolling of the most boring variety.

I think he somehow interpreted Legion as being anti-IA, for an unknown reason.

He might also be confused because he somehow interpreted text messages for having some sort of aural component.

5 hours ago, Caldias said:

I think he somehow interpreted Legion as being anti-IA, for an unknown reason.

He might also be confused because he somehow interpreted text messages for having some sort of aural component.

I think he is an IA player that is salty at Legion. 

As an IA player, never quite got that. When it was first demo'ed last year I thought it looked to be in a similar vein as IA but still a very different game. Now having actually played it I realize it is in fact a massively different game, even more so than I first thought.

Is all it takes for 2 games to be in competition is for them to both be Star Wars and both have troop miniatures with dice for attack/defense? Because that's about as much similarity as these two games have when you really get down to it

On ‎4‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 1:13 PM, Hawktel said:

The game has a slower start here in my meta, but I think it needs a wave more out. Several people have told me they don't want to get involved till there is more options for side.  Right now the only choice is how many Cores you get. At some point a few more expansions down the road, all those Storm troopers are going to be sitting the side lines. Your best bet is to buy in on wave 2 is the truth FFG has shown me.

I don't see Stormtroopers being sidelined any time soon. It's not because they're an unbeatable monster of a unit, but more because a lot of the game mechanics advantage armies with a substantial number of trooper units and Storm/Rebel troopers are a good cost efficient way to both get some solid dice and the unit numbers you need. As I keep telling people, the game will let you play with only 3 corps, but you really need 4-6 for most missions and to guarantee key activations go off at the right time.

It looks like FFG learned their lessons from X-Wing and want the iconic units to stay relevant.

Edited by MasterShake2