Zaltyre

Time for a New Vault?

Posted (edited)

I know some of you are as disappointed with the apparent abandonment of the Vault by ANA as I am. The Vault is a great resource for creating custom quests, and a platform to share those quests with the community.

I realized some time ago that we really don't need ANA for that. There is enough web development talent here in the community to make a tool serving all the functions of the current Vault-  perhaps even enough to do it better.

I've kept silent about a project like this in the hope that ANA would pick the Vault back up or firmly dissolve it. After this amount of time with NO communication, that hope is gone. I am convinced the Vault is doomed to a slow and quiet decay. Any change will have to be self-effected.

I am aware that such a task would tread interesting copyright ground, so I want to make clear that I'm interested in keeping a project like this legal.

I have some questions I think worth exploring:

-How many of you out there miss an active Vault? Is this a demographic I'm imagining, or is it really significant?

-How many of you would be willing to take steps toward creating an alternate vault? Do you think a project of this type is worthwhile?

-If you're nodding your head in agreement to those first questions, do you have a preferred platform/language to work within?

Edited by Zaltyre

My reply may be less than helpful as an answer to your questions, save for a demographic measurement, but I'm an avid fan of the D2e game, its mechanics, and design with the map tiles, scalability, etc. I own all the expansions & lieutenants and half of the hero/monster packs (storage space always becomes a limiting factor). I've been using the Quest Vault for around a year and am equally frustrated and disappointed at its abandonment in favor of selling new products at the cost of ignoring existing customers. Most recently, I've been recreating the Kindred Fire quests so that I can Overlord the campaign for my group of 5 players/heroes and lacking map tiles and monsters for expansions that are specifically called for is also frustrating.

That being said, I'm a veteran computer tech with a lot of hardware/software experience, but very little programming (and I mean non-existent, like, having used QBASIC in college 15 years ago), but I'm a quick learner and more than happy to help where and how I can. When the time comes, just point me in a direction...

The biggest issue I see is not technical but legal.  Having a tool like this is just waiting to be shut down by ANA for IP violation, and even if that never happens the threat will scare developers away from investing their time.  The work around is as per Valkyrie, to have a local solution that pulls data from the official app.  I wouldn't be against someone expanding Valkyrie and creating an editor mode designed for traditional play export.

Posted (edited)

My two cents...

It's easy to create a 'light' Vault with :
- Map settings
- Quest details input
- export to PDF

What will be more difficult is to have a database to keep all the data for history / later updates

So it's not a technical problem..
Legaly had they being giving support to the current Vault, of course, I think they would have been against any fan project like that ... but as it seems its no more the case ....
But as always it's better to ask before  !

Edited by Felin

Posted (edited)

The autoformatted pdf is a big part of what I'm after, as it's key to taking quest ideas and giving them a polished look.

Memory of previous quest versions is "nice," but not a mandatory feature in my personal opinion.

There are also a number of little features available in the official quest maps not available in the Vault- multiple color unique spaces, crumbling terrain, unique search token markers (really) which would be great to add.

Edited by Zaltyre

Posted (edited)

From my point of view what's missing on the Vault could be easily put in a new tool ...

As in the current Vault .. if only they took the few hours needed ..

:(

Edited by Felin