K13R4N

Harpoons Imp+Scum only

Just a quick thought about if FFg made Harpoons Scum and imperials only? Would it change the meta at all as rebels are dominating so taking the harpoons of rebel nym and Mirranda would make Mirranda a bit worse as she can't use a 5 dice harpoons shot? What do you think would it make a difference in the meta at all? Or could you go even further and say harpoons are scum only, my guess is it would make the gunboat a lot worse but then they can still take concussion missles and it would make sense why kimogila are more expensive as they can take a better missle ? Would either make the Rebel dominance become less dominant?

I suppose if you ONLY want to fight against Ghost+Fenn, with no variance, because almost all the miranda builds are gimped, then be my guest. 
Harpoons aren¨'t even that oppressive on rebels, since they rarely have a good way to trigger the condition in the same round.  Basically they are the cheaper variant of homing missiles (for the purpose of Miranda's alphastrike), and I am sure you could fit those in the list if you wanted to. 

empire have tons of ways to do this (palpatine as a for sure way, vader as another), and their gunboat as the best carrier in the game. 

Look at it another way. What missile-lists have been top tier in the Scum faction? Or would be? To me it seems that timewalk-assajj + sidekick is one of the strongest ways to play scum atm, even stronger than the 3-ship-homing alpha strike lists that seem to be the better of the scum alphas. 

One thought I had is defining Turrets, cannons, bombs, missiles and torps clearly as "secondary" weapons.

Then a HARD nerf stating "You may only equip one type of secondary weapon".

What does this mean?  Miranda can only use TLT.  Or she can only Bomb.  Or she can only run Missiles.  Same for Nym.  But you can still run multiple types of bombs, or multiple types of missiles.  In the case of IG-88's you can still run multiple cannons since it's one type.  It's a very hard nerf on a handful of abusive ships and lays the groundwork for preventing further abusive combos in later releases.

I understand that it's a very aggressive fix, but it's a direct hit on some of the most loathed ships in the game.  It also does nothing to address Ghost Fenn which is a whole different problem. 

I'm of the school of thought that Harpoons should be Resistance only.

1 hour ago, viedit said:

Then a HARD nerf stating "You may only equip one type of secondary weapon".

Torpedoes are worse than missiles, even without harpoons, so you're basically looking at breaking the TLT/missile combo. A nerf to TLT is probably the easiest way to do this, on the whole. So very many ways to do it, too. All of them get the job done.

A homing missile Nu is not a problem. A Harpoon + TLT Miranda/Nym is.

1 minute ago, Astech said:

I'm of the school of thought that Harpoons should be Resistance only.

Torpedoes are worse than missiles, even without harpoons, so you're basically looking at breaking the TLT/missile combo. A nerf to TLT is probably the easiest way to do this, on the whole. So very many ways to do it, too. All of them get the job done.

A homing missile Nu is not a problem. A Harpoon + TLT Miranda/Nym is.

For me it's a combination of eating a bomb plus a harpoon in the  face.  Bailing and then being able to trigger that harpoon with a friggen TLT.  That's just disgusting.  Same for Miranda being able to run wherever, plink and regen with TLT while covering her six with endless bombs.  Meh.  The only "wholesome" ships that get screwed by this are ones that aren't even big in competitive scene.  That would be punishers and bombers.  Outside of the "hatchet man" build of Vynder the Gunboat isn't rocking multiple types of secondary weapons.  It's just a way to hard counter a lot of combo-wing monstrosities.  

20 minutes ago, Dengars Toilet Paper said:

So basically what most people are saying is harpoons are fine just nerf TLT! What if the TLT card said disable all other secondary weapons slots?

No I'm saying it's the overall toolkit of being able to deal damage in a variety of ways, out of a variety of arcs.  It's a combination of things rather than a single one.  Ghost Fenn is a very different nut to crack.  

25 minutes ago, viedit said:

No I'm saying it's the overall toolkit of being able to deal damage in a variety of ways, out of a variety of arcs.  It's a combination of things rather than a single one.  Ghost Fenn is a very different nut to crack.  

And not even that is necessarily a problem, there's plenty of ships which have that recipe and are completely balanced.  Unless we're worried about 35pt Y-Wings now?

4 minutes ago, Stay On The Leader said:

And not even that is necessarily a problem, there's plenty of ships which have that recipe and are completely balanced.  Unless we're worried about 35pt Y-Wings now?

Yeah Horton hasn't exactly been tearing things up.  No native reposition, needs to use up a droid slot to equip an EPT.  No slam.  Still needs someone else to carry Sabine.  Can't use C-3P0.  Can't use Harpoons.    

30 minutes ago, Makaze said:

Ironic example with the Y-Wing since Bomb Loadout is basically a miniature version of this proposal

Uh.  So I can take a Y-Wing with TLT, Bomb and Torpedo.  His proposal is I could take a Y-Wing with a TLT OR a Bomb and Torpedo.  That's not the same.

9 minutes ago, Stay On The Leader said:

Uh.  So I can take a Y-Wing with TLT, Bomb and Torpedo.  His proposal is I could take a Y-Wing with a TLT OR a Bomb and Torpedo.  That's not the same.

Aware, and you're not wrong. Just thought it was interesting that the existing card that most embodies this philosophy of trading one secondary weapon type for another happens to be on the Y-Wing