Wraithdt

Imperial Heavy Tie Fighter [Light Spoilers]

3 hours ago, slasher956 said:

Is this why we've not had any articles because the next wave is based on Solo?

At this point, why announce something now when you could do it at Worlds, regardless of Solo?

"Beckett is the one who catches word of a big job for kingpin Dryden Vos, which by all accounts involves robbing the Conveyex – the train-like vehicle heavily featured in promotion."

Eeeeehhh.... That Arrestor... It's not enough that whatever Disney does to Star Wars turns out badly, they even use the laziest backwash concept art now from the OT for their films now instead of creating something original. This is really annoying that they turning Star Wars into a minimal investment project.

6 minutes ago, Norell said:

Eeeeehhh.... That Arrestor... It's not enough that whatever Disney does to Star Wars turns out badly, they even use the laziest backwash concept art now from the OT for their films now instead of creating something original. This is really annoying that they turning Star Wars into a minimal investment project.

I'm thinking that it's going to be a prototype Interdictior type ship, possibly medium base.

The old concept art had it shooting lasers from those dishes, on the Hotwheels model they look more like tractor beam emplacements.

20 minutes ago, Drasnighta said:

Okay.  So.

Heavy TIE fighter.

If you want it in the game, I think the first step is to sell people on what it is and what makes it different enough to include....

The tricky part is to make it interesting and do so without invalidating something existing as a choice.

Some are speculating that the extra space houses powerful sensors that enables it to properly navigate the dense nebula field surrounding Kessel. Aside from that I’m assuming it has heavy lasers in its weapons pod.

On 4/10/2018 at 10:52 PM, GiledPallaeon said:

Why the Imperial Army thinks they need a Flak-88 with legs is beyond me. Well, that might be a slight exaggeration, as the Flak-88 gun was extremely dangerous, but I think the general principle stands. I also still am not super happy with the Arrestor Cruiser, McQuarrie lineage or not. I'll reserve judgment until I see the film, I'm still on the fence about those trailers too.

What military would not be improved by a Flak 88 with legs.  I'm pretty sure that was Weremacht project alongside giant tanks named Maus.

1 hour ago, MasterShake2 said:

What military would not be improved by a Flak 88 with legs.  I'm pretty sure that was Weremacht project alongside giant tanks named Maus.

Germans strapped every gun onto every chassis so if they had walkers im pretty sure they would have made a legged 88

8 hours ago, Drasnighta said:

Okay.  So.

Heavy TIE fighter.

If you want it in the game, I think the first step is to sell people on what it is and what makes it different enough to include....

The tricky part is to make it interesting and do so without invalidating something existing as a choice.

Sadly, I think there are already a number of imperial fighters that could fill spots in this game. Being-

TIE Avenger. Imperial snipe

Scimitar Assault Bomber. Heavier bomber

Assault Gunboat. Ever popular, as a light bomber/poss Rogue fighter

TIE Droid. For some mass swarming, innovative game mechanics.

And if you really want to go for it-

Royal Interceptors. Beefed up (slightly) with no swarm, poss Rogue. Limited availability.

Missile Boat. Rogue bomber?

H.TIE/LN -

Standard TIE stats +1 point for advance sensors.....

Advance Sensors: 

may spend 1 accuracy to turn another die to a hit

or 

Instead of attacking make a speed 2 manouver

Its a 'minor' adaption to a TIE/LN so should only have a minor alteration

17 hours ago, Norell said:

I don't think that "minimal investment" is it. I think it is a result of their "product cinema" approach. These things have to "feel" like Star Wars and they've got this idea that the McQuarrie concept stuff "feels" like Star Wars. I think this also comes from and got furthered by the rush to get TFA out and JJ being a lazy hack so they just grabbed stuff at hand which was the McQuarrie stuff.

They didn't want to take the time and sort out all the nuts and bolts of all this stuff and make a tech bible and characters bibles and such. And of course since rules and any nod to physics or interstellar distances and gravity and the sorts of radiation stars give off would get in the way of whatever they might like to do that is cool or gets them out of the corner they wrote themselves into they didn't really want to bother with any of that even if they weren't in a hurry. And Star Wars isn't "real" sci-fi... 

Now they have to shoehorn design choices and story choices they made in TFA and TLJ into any OT stuff they do to link it all up. One can see this in the Battlefront II (2017) videogame. The U-wing and that Imperial Shuttle from Rogue One are all over OT era maps and cut-scenes for example.

Then add in trying to impose our current concept of future technology on what was a fantastically advanced version of tech for forty years ago. They've got a great big mess on a number of levels and seem quite oblivious to it. 

Edited by Frimmel

13 hours ago, ficklegreendice said:

man it's like a TIE Fighter docked with a bomber and the resulting zygote couldn't decide which parent to take after so it just declared "**** IT!"

Honestly, this is 10 years or so before ANH. My hope is that we find out these are a precursor to the TIE bomber. Some engineer strapped a basic concussion missile package to the basic TIE fighter to give it some anti-pirate oompf. When they found some success with the idea, Imperial engineers pushed to a more specialized design that could dump out more ordinance and designed the TIE Bomber.

You would have a logical progression of tech and a justified reason for any similarities to a TIE Bomber. 

Sure the Imperiral navy knew bombers are good before then, but my impression was always that the TIE line of craft were fairly new before ANH. So this isn’t evolution of strategy as much as a new company has figured out a good product and is expanding the line

Edited by Church14

What's all the hate for the Arrestor class? Its just a variation on the Mquarrie design like the Aggressor and Keldabe before it.

latest?cb=20090801020515

latest?cb=20060930142800

12 minutes ago, Frimmel said:

I don't think that "minimal investment" is it. I think it is a result of their "product cinema" approach. These things have to "feel" like Star Wars and they've got this idea that the McQuarrie concept stuff "feels" like Star Wars. I think this also comes from and got furthered by the rush to get TFA out and JJ being a lazy hack so they just grabbed stuff at hand which was the McQuarrie stuff.

They didn't want to take the time and sort out all the nuts and bolts of all this stuff and make a tech bible and characters bibles and such. And of course since rules and any nod to physics or interstellar distances and gravity and the sorts of radiation stars give off would get in the way of whatever they might like to do that is cool or gets them out of the corner they wrote themselves into they didn't really want to bother with any of that even if they weren't in a hurry. And Star Wars isn't "real" sci-fi... 

Now they have to shoehorn design choices and story choices they made in TFA and TLJ into any OT stuff they do to link it all up. One can see this in the Battlefront II (2017) videogame. The U-wing and that Imperial Shuttle from Rogue One are all over OT era maps and cut-scenes for example.

Then add in trying to impose our current concept of future technology on what was a fantastically advanced version of tech for forty years ago. They've got a great big mess on a number of levels and seem quite oblivious to it. 

I don't understand how any of the ST stuff relates to the OT material put out?  U-Wings and The Cargo Shuttles have no relation to the later material.

As for them not being around in the OT, I said it then and i'll say it again. Just because you didn't see it doesn't mean it wasn't around.

When you watch a WW2 movie you never see the massive array of arms and armor fighting the war, but that doesn't mean the Americans only used Shermans, and P-51s and B-17s.

You'll almost never see sturmgeschütz III make an appearance in a film in favor of the more impressive Tiger, but tons of them still served in the war.

47 minutes ago, Frimmel said:

Well....maybe because Mcquarrie IS the bible, so of course they would draw from that source.

You are right though, Star Wars isn’t real sci-fi, its is Fantasy set in space and I wouldn’t have it any other way. We can talk about ships and tech all we want but at the end of the day its all just dressing, not the meat and potatoes of the franchise.

I sure hope the heavy TIES and arrestor make it in. I like 'em both. I think this and Rogue One are doing a good job of keeping the new designs in the OT universe. 

The arrestor is not the traditional grey triangle - this is true. However, we have a bunch of those already. Presumably this is some utility ship with an experimental slot. Maybe a new tractor beam card!

The heavy TIE could be a tougher basic fighter, though hopefully it's got some new keyword that isn't "heavy". 

2 hours ago, KevinBakon said:

I sure hope the heavy TIES and arrestor make it in. I like 'em both. I think this and Rogue One are doing a good job of keeping the new designs in the OT universe. 

The arrestor is not the traditional grey triangle - this is true. However, we have a bunch of those already. Presumably this is some utility ship with an experimental slot. Maybe a new tractor beam card!

The heavy TIE could be a tougher basic fighter, though hopefully it's got some new keyword that isn't "heavy". 

The name "Arrestor" lends itself to some sort of interdiction vessel, i'd admit. If it did have the Experimental slot, it could bring some new tactics to that double Interdictor list...

I agree about the Heavy TIE Fighter not having the heavy keyword, I'd personally be fine with it just being a TIE with an additional attack dice really.

4 hours ago, Indy_com said:

The name "Arrestor" lends itself to some sort of interdiction vessel, i'd admit. If it did have the Experimental slot, it could bring some new tactics to that double Interdictor list...

I agree about the Heavy TIE Fighter not having the heavy keyword, I'd personally be fine with it just being a TIE with an additional attack dice really.

A slower kind of Tie Fighter would be something new for the empire. Maybe even Speed 2? Its not like that would be a problem with AFFM! and FCT.

Edited by >kkj

On 4/11/2018 at 12:35 PM, Norell said:

I think it's great to finally see those neat old concepts and images make it to the screen. Even better that it's pre-mcquarrie! Now if we can only see the Cantwell Y-Wing somplace... or his original X-Wing as the actual prototype of the X-Wing.

I don't think the heavy TIE Fighter is coming to Armada anytime soon.... though I could be wrong. There are other, more clear-cut fighters that can jump in front for a next fighter pack. Without seeing the ship the only thing I can think of is adding a red to the three blues on a normal TIE Fighter squadron, take off Swarm, and bump it up to Hull 4. The ace would be where this fighter really shines.