Shadow345

X-Wing a Dead Game?

A good game is a good game with or without oficial support. Squad Leader, Wooden Ships and Iron Men. War in the Pacific. Eurofront. Epic. Mordheim. 

When a game "dies" there is no reason to stop playing, at home with your friends. Simply no new stuff and no support to organice events. And often fan made add ons are better than products published while the game dies. 

Also worth mentioning GW are going into full GW mode with a lot of these games.  GW stores in the UK are not allowed to stock Shadespire beyond the original box & first two additional war bands or host OP events for it in store.

3 minutes ago, Major Tom said:

Also worth mentioning GW are going into full GW mode with a lot of these games.  GW stores in the UK are not allowed to stock Shadespire beyond the original box & first two additional war bands or host OP events for it in store.

I think you'll find that it's more down to floor space in the one man stores that dictates what can and can't be stocked. My local GW has all of the Shadespire stuff.

Cheers
Baaa

Just now, Baaa said:

I think you'll find that it's more down to floor space in the one man stores that dictates what can and can't be stocked. My local GW has all of the Shadespire stuff.

Cheers
Baaa

I’ve had that from two individual store managers and a guy at head office.  One of the store managers is hugely frustrated about it as he’d throw out the AoS tables with inches of dust on them to make space for the active local Shadespire players in a heartbeat.

2 minutes ago, Major Tom said:

I’ve had that from two individual store managers and a guy at head office.  One of the store managers is hugely frustrated about it as he’d throw out the AoS tables with inches of dust on them to make space for the active local Shadespire players in a heartbeat.

Different stores, different stories; AoS is big in the local store; and it's even picking up amongst the "never playing it, it's not Fantasy" crowd who threw massive hissy fits.

Cheers
Baaa

12 hours ago, theBitterFig said:

Last Jedi hate is mostly a myth.  Movie sold like mad.  Some might downplay that, any Star Wars movie is going to fill theatres, but Blu-Ray sold like mad so clearly folks liked something.  There's a small but vocal group of folks mad about The Last Jedi, but overall reception is quite positive.

The blu ray data is good to know.

I have an honest mixed feelings about the Last jedi - and that seems to make me the tiniest minority of all. I’m not in that loud “it’s awful” crowd but it largely doesn’t do it for me in several critical scenes. Decent movie, maybe the problem is just the comparison to the other Star Wars films?

4 hours ago, Green Doo said:

Winter is coming

For those of us on the northern border, it’s already here. 

4 minutes ago, Baaa said:

Different stores, different stories; AoS is big in the local store; and it's even picking up amongst the "never playing it, it's not Fantasy" crowd who threw massive hissy fits.

Warhammer Fantasy Battle, now THERE'S a dead game.

3 minutes ago, FTS Gecko said:

Warhammer Fantasy Battle, now THERE'S a dead game.

Only if you put little round bases on your elves...

Cheers
Baaa

2 minutes ago, FTS Gecko said:

It's deader than that squirrel.

But I don't want it to be dead :(

Actually, I don't give a monkey's; I never played Fantasy anyway :lol:

Cheers
Baaa

We're playing our first epic game this weekend. My friend and I are giddy while planning our builds. We both have large collections and are enjoying all the upgrades we've never put on the table before.

And I just spent the last thirty minutes staring at my Gozanti-Class cruiser, Suppressor.   If this game is dead, I must be playing it in heaven.   

3 hours ago, Embir82 said:

Well then, you are exception of the norm. Events are sold out all over the world, SOS tournaments are setting new records for attendance, in my local community X-Wing in popularity is next to MtG.
People love X-Wing. I can only laugh when I see threads like this - because it is as far from reality as it can be.

Let's face it - this forum gives distorted view of reality, because it is full of laser-brain nerf herders and scrubs. Meanwhile most X-Wing enthusiasts just play the game, attend the tournaments and don't bother to posts in this cesspool known as an X-Wing forum.

If you hate it so much bugger off?

Cheers 

Baaa

Posted (edited)

Well, as of the Fall 2017 numbers (announced just last month), X-Wing is still the top selling miniatures game.  Still beating 40k even though a brand new edition was released that not only spiked interest in 40k but also necessitated a lot of rulebook purchases.

So....no.

Your local community may be fading, and that stinks, but the game itself is apparently doing quite well.

Edited by FatherTurin
Stupid grammar

1 hour ago, General Kenobi's Chicken said:

We're playing our first epic game this weekend. My friend and I are giddy while planning our builds. We both have large collections and are enjoying all the upgrades we've never put on the table before.

And I just spent the last thirty minutes staring at my Gozanti-Class cruiser, Suppressor.   If this game is dead, I must be playing it in heaven.   

Oh, so much this.

I can't even tell you how annoyed I was to hear "Oh, you all were expecting another Scum Huge?  Weird.  It's not on our calendar. . . "

I guess I can hope that's a "we can't say yet" little white lie.

58 minutes ago, Baaa said:

If you hate it so much bugger off?

Cheers 

Baaa

Learn to read with comprehension - I didn't say i hate forum, I said it is full of irritating idiots - those are two separate statements. Still there are plenty of funny and intelligent people whose posts I like to read and interact with.

3 minutes ago, Embir82 said:

Learn to read with comprehension - I didn't say i hate forum, I said it is full of irritating idiots - those are two separate statements. Still there are plenty of funny and intelligent people whose posts I like to read and interact with.

Ah, so I mistook the meaning of 'cesspool'. So sorry. 

Cheers 

Baaa

15 hours ago, FlyingAnchors said:

Hey Forums, Vsauce here. 

Is clickbait still a staple on the forums?

yeah sadly. vague posts galore, lol

this isnt really clickbait in my book, as it stated its topic in title and is bringing up what appears to be a concern amongst a large group of players(myself included).

theyve pushed waves so fast and loose that other than fix packs and alt paints, what do people even want outside X-wing 2.0? im pumped about the reaper and partisan packs, but then what?

the game devs have backed themselves into a corner with design choices, and unlike warhammer or DnD you cant just update with a new book. the physical game components need to be replaced in order to significantly rework the game. Im worried thats too much

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, Vontoothskie said:

im pumped about the reaper and partisan packs, but then what?

Well, in that same vein, they could release other "story" expacs:

Shuttle Tydirium to revisit the Lambda

Bladewing to revisit the B-Wing

Phoenix Squadron to revisit the A-Wing

Inferno Squadron to revisit the TIE

Battle of Scarif to revisit the Y-Wing

Zeta class shuttle

Resistance A-wing

et. al.

They could do a number of waves that both "fix" ships, add story elements to the game, get the classics back on the table, and add the latest movie ships.

BUT, this leaves the overall game in the same boring state if they don't also add to the battlefield.

Edited by Darth Meanie

Posted (edited)

My local scene is definitely on the waning side of growth.  We used to have 10-12 players weekly on casual nights and now it's about half that.  It's mostly just the very competitive/tournament scene guys around these days.  Combo wing has turned away new players from a play experience (not fun) and cost of entry standpoint.

Edited by viedit

2 hours ago, Darth Meanie said:

Zeta class shuttle

Resistance A-wing

et. al.

They could do a number of waves that both "fix" ships, add story elements to the game, get the classics back on the table, and add the latest movie ships.

BUT, this leaves the overall game in the same boring state if they don't also add to the battlefield.

fully agree.  thats what i was calling fix packs. where i was going with it was that with the existing ships, every logical archetype within format is in the game. new expansion will either make old ships obsolette with power creep or be worse versions of existing ships. the design space is full. 

story missions, new game types, or X-wing 2.0 could all fix that, but what we are seeing with x-wing is stagnation. in a computer game would lead to aggressive rebalancing with patches , but thats not possible here. thats what has me concerned

2 hours ago, Darth Meanie said:

Zeta class shuttle

Resistance A-wing

et. al.

this is a solid idea. will add new characters that we love to old ships. I would love this to happen for the ships you mentioned plus the TIE Interceptor w/Ciena Ree pilot.