GrandSpleen

The Withered Heath preview

Both were previously spoiled.  Grimbeorn's solid, counterattacking for essentially 5 is great.  And unlike his forbearer, he can get attachments.  Just a lowly Hauberek would give him 4/6 defense *with* a strong counterattack, which is pretty dang good.  I don't think his counterattack precludes the normal framework attack.

Guardian of Esgaroth has good potential, but I'd be more excited if he were less well-rounded.

4 hours ago, dalestephenson said:

Guardian of Esgaroth has good potential, but I'd be more excited if he were less well-rounded.

Bit of an irony in a way that this is his problem, but I agree. For questing he'll be great, but unlike the other dale allies he probably won't tie down an area so much. Even 3 defence can be a bit flimsy sometimes. 

On 8/3/2018 at 7:54 AM, dalestephenson said:

Long Lake Fisherman's enter play effect is useful, especially if you're looking for a cheap attachment to get card draw, but without a benefit from having attachment is less interesting for Dale decks.  I predict he'll often not make the cut

I think his main utility is searching for a specific card or combo piece, with a specific cost.

13 hours ago, TragicTheBlathering said:

do you think this effect is in addition to or replacing the standard "attack back" part of the combat phase. Like could you block, use the ability for him to attack and then after all engaged monsters have attacked attack again with any other cards not yet tapped (but not grim)

Yes, you can still attack with other heroes after the other enemies have attacked, even with Grimbeorn if he is ready. Here's another question of my own; if Grimbeorn attacks an enemy with his ability, and you ready him; can he attack the same enemy normally after enemy attacks?

13 hours ago, TragicTheBlathering said:

Also, why is this card not getting much attention in this thread. A 2 drop that can quest, block and attack....

Yeah, he's great. He has the potential to be a monster if you can spare the attachments from other allies.

57 minutes ago, Wandalf the Gizzard said:

if Grimbeorn attacks an enemy with his ability, and you ready him; can he attack the same enemy normally after enemy attacks?

Yes, you should be able to do this.  Attacks initiated by card effects, like Ambush and Quick Strike, do not consume your "once per turn" limit on declaring attacks against an enemy.

No round limit either. You could defend and attack, ready with unexpected courage, defend and attack again. It still takes a resource each time and he still must defend and survive. He seems like a more controlled version of Boromir.

51 minutes ago, GrandSpleen said:

He's powerful but he doesn't avoid any attacks.  I think feelings will cool on him after he's been in the card pool for a couple of months.

Yeah he's amazing but definitely not broken. He slots well into an Attachment-heavy build to boost his stats, but if he's spending all his resources on his effect, that's fewer Tactics resources available for cards.

I like that limitation. It makes a better balance. I actually thought Hama was balanced because card draw is so tough in tactics although foe hammer can be recurred I guess. The drawback creates an interesting choice.

The skin changer is awes oome thematically. However at best you will get a discount of 4 on beorn, which isn't enough of a benefit to run full complements on both. I'm excited to see new beorning allies to make this guy really exciting. 

Actually I should have said it this way:

Benefits -

Beornings are getting development so he will grow in value 

Getting beorn on the board first turn with 2 tactics heroes to either knock out an early pest enemy or defend can really help get your board state humming 

He can be useful while you wait to draw into beorn

Downsides-

Beornings aren't that great at the moment for allies 

Running 3 copies of him and 3 of beorn is too much for a discount on beorn which is best case 

Anyhow I'm excited to see a new archetype and looking forward to hopefully new allies