GrandSpleen

The Withered Heath preview

No, I do not think Dale will be even near 20 after this cycle, as I believe some previewed might already be in the count, so what do we have now:

Ravenhill Scout (the first ever, and for a long time the last, and what a card, hmm...)

Celduin Traveller (very good in secrecy, and I actually think outside secrecy in a Dale deck can still find a place, depends on the future competition)

Rhovanion Outrider (amazing, I find)

Knight of Dale (quite versatile)

Long Lake Trader (could be great)

Guardian of Esgaroth (could be a staple there)

So these I think are the six, two of which are not officially out yet. We know there is the warrior, and probably another Spirit in the box. I really think there will not be a Dale Leadership ally because of those two around. And then in the rest five pack, I think we get four or five more. So I feel 13 or 14 might be close to the mark at the end of the cycle.

We know the warrior of Dale, it have been officially released in french.

I don't share your motivation about many of those allies, to me guardian of Esgaroth, knight of Dale and warrior are the only cards really usefull in Dale decks. The others are inferior to non Dale ally, even in Dale deck, so you only want them if you really want a lot of thematic.

Rhovanion Rider is inferior to a non-Dale ally even in a Dale deck?  I like him a lot outside a Dale deck.  I play solo one or two handed, so most of the time he's both better and cheaper than Northern Tracker for me.

Long Lake Trader may be marginal outside a Dale deck, but in a Dale deck with LeBrand I would think he would justify the deck space.  With a cheap attachment to move around he becomes a non-unique Gleowine.

1 hour ago, dalestephenson said:

Rhovanion Rider is inferior to a non-Dale ally even in a Dale deck?  I like him a lot outside a Dale deck.  I play solo one or two handed, so most of the time he's both better and cheaper than Northern Tracker for me.

Long Lake Trader may be marginal outside a Dale deck, but in a Dale deck with LeBrand I would think he would justify the deck space.  With a cheap attachment to move around he becomes a non-unique Gleowine.

This. The enthusiasm about Ravenhill Scout was a sarcasm (I thought it would be obvious) but I have had great success with Rhovanion Outrider outside Dale decks, and they are obviously even better in them. And the potential of the Trader with attachments like Spare Hood and Cloak seems so tempting, and I have been able to utilize it as well (it obviously combos well with the Leadership Brand). The King of Dale makes them easy to play even without a Lore hero.

Lanwyn I can see in a Dale deck, she works directly from LeBrand and is a resource match for King of Dale.  TaBrand can't go in a Dale deck, because LeBrand is the key hero for that deck.  Theme aside, TaBard isn't Dale and therefore doesn't benefit from LeBrand.  So I'd only expect Lanwyn to be popular in Dale decks.

TaBrand has one of the most useless abilities for solo (1-hand) deck, but I've found his ability very useful when paired with a deck that has heroes who can do something useful *after* the attack phase -- I used him to complement a three rings deck, so he could ready Gandalf (for Word of Command) or Galadriel (for card/threat) or Elrond (for Vilya) after killing.  TaBard is obviously useful two-handed as well.

10 hours ago, Bullroarer Took said:

Good news.  And don’t take this the wrong way, but your screen name suggests to me an invasive medical procedure.

It is also the name of the narrator of the Satyricon, which is a pretty cool reference.

1 hour ago, sappidus said:

It is also the name of the narrator of the Satyricon, which is a pretty cool reference.

That's exactly it! I read Trimalchio's Dinner Party back in High School and Encolpius has been my screen name everywhere since then. I can pretty much count on it never being taken.

Just in case you have trouble reading the blurry image...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Beorning Skin-changer TACTICS ALLY

(2) 1 1 1 3

Beorning.  

Combat Action: Choose a Beorning ally with printed cost of 3 or more in your hand or discard pile. Discard Beorning Skin-changer to put that ally into play.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Long Lake Fisherman SPIRIT ALLY

(2) 1 1 0 2

Dale.

Response: After Long Lake Fisherman enters play, name a number. Then, search the top 5 cards of your deck for a card whose printed cost is equal to that number and add it to your hand. Shuffle your deck.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Woodmen's Clearing LORE ATTACHMENT

(0)

Condition.

Attach to a location. Limit 1 per location.

Response: When attached location leaves play as an explored location, the first player reduces his threat by 3.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Grey Cloak SPIRIT ATTACHMENT

(0)

Item.

Attach to a Spirit or Scout character. Limit 1 per character.

Encounter Action: Exhaust attached character and discard Grey Cloak to choose a non-unique enemy in the staging area. That enemy does not make engagement checks against you this phase.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The Arkenstone NEUTRAL ATTACHMENT

(1)

Guarded (enemy or location)

Attach to a hero.

Each unique character you control gets +1 Willpower.

Action: Reduce your threat by 2 to attach The Arkenstone to a hero controlled by another player and raise that player's threat by 2. (Limit once per round.)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The rest you can read over on Beorn's site here - http://hallofbeorn.com/LotR?CardSet=The Withered Heath

Edited by stimpaksam
added link

My reaction:

Love the Beorning ally.  A two-cost ally that will let you cheat Beorn into play, possibly after you've self-discarded him?  Awesome.  Also works with Beorning Guardian and even the absurd Beorning Beekeeper.  The Beekeeper isn't bad for two cost, and discard him for his effect wouldn't be as painful if you can bring him back for two.

Long Lake Fisherman's enter play effect is useful, especially if you're looking for a cheap attachment to get card draw, but without a benefit from having attachment is less interesting for Dale decks.  I predict he'll often not make the cut

I like Woodman's Clearing, threat reduction in Lore is welcome.  As a when-explored attachment, has no synergy with location-attachments-in-play (I'm hoping by the end of the cycle Power in the Earth will be a playable card).

Grey cloak is interesting, and would go well on a Lookout.  Having it available to spirit characters makes it useful for Dunhere decks.

I like the Arkenstone.  Incredibly powerful with a Vilya deck (as if it needs the help), but can help provide willpower to all sorts of decks.  With this most Tactics unique allies can quest for 2 or 3.  Would be great on Redhorn Gate.

1 hour ago, dalestephenson said:

I like the Arkenstone.  Incredibly powerful with a Vilya deck (as if it needs the help), but can help provide willpower to all sorts of decks.  With this most Tactics unique allies can quest for 2 or 3.  Would be great on Redhorn Gate.

When using Elrond+Vilya and The Arkenstone is revealed, would it still need to be guarded?

Edited by stimpaksam
spelling

mec66_card_grimbeorn-the-old.png

Powerful.. do you think this effect is in addition to or replacing the standard "attack back" part of the combat phase. Like could you block, use the ability for him to attack and then after all engaged monsters have attacked attack again with any other cards not yet tapped (but not grim)

mec66_card_guardian-of-esgaroth.png

Also, why is this card not getting much attention in this thread. A 2 drop that can quest, block and attack....

Edited by TragicTheBlathering