GrandSpleen

The Withered Heath preview

K. A few things to go over here. First, Grimbeorn is amazing. Totally reasonable, you can pump him up and he becomes a powerful combat hero, both in solo and multiplayer. I love him. Same for Hidden Way. Excellent card. Both Leadership cards also look totally playable and good. Nothing more to say here.

The scenario and cycle itself I'm very curious about. So, the cycle seems to be about hunting an ancient cold-drake that threatens Wilderland. That seems about the perfect premise for the Rhovanion cycle. Intuition would tell me he (or she) is gonna the big boss of the cycle, so we will probably kill him in pack 6. That leaves me wondering then what are we exactly gonna do this first pack, named after the Withered Heath, cradle of dragons per excellence in ME. If we're not gonna hunt and kill the boss in the first pack, and only begin our hunt as the article suggests, then I sure as **** hope we're at least gonna see some minor drake enemies in this first pack. I mean, it's called the Withered Heath. It'd be weird if this was only about the beginning of the hunt and we didn't see any drakes in this pack. The presence of a Troll in the cover of the pack worries me. Basically, I'm worried Caleb continues his trend of going to exotic places and not really exploring them. Going to the Withered Heath? Here, fight some trolls. Now obviously this is speculation, but it seems the big dragon we have to kill we're not gonna see till the later packs in the cycle. I hope we have some minor drakes to fight in these early packs.

Regarding the player card themes this cycle, it's clear we're gonna see lots of Dale and Beorning support. To be expected obviously, as these were the last major groups of Free Peoples left to explore (not counting the Lossoth and Woodmen). I only hope we also see some of the stuff I've been advocating for this cycle, namely Istari support (Radagast hero would be a perfect fit for this cycle) and artifact support in the shape of attachments representing actual unique palantiri, and magic rings (remember? This game is called Lord of the Rings and only a few months ago we saw our first generic ring. Are you kidding me?). I hope Caleb actually tackles this big part of the lore which both the MECCG and LOTR TCG explored excellently.

Grimbeorn isn't once per round so you can trigger him every time he defends. I want to put him in a secrecy tactics deck with Eowyn. Beorn's rage will be great with Beorn (fitting).

The Hidden Way is incredible in solo.

I can't wait to see how crazy the Dale attachments get.

That Deep keyword might fix the location card/quest card thematic funkiness.

The "additional attack" shadow strike again.

I hope this isn't Redhorn Gate 2.0.

Also, Beorning Guardian and Knight of Dale continue the trend of foreshadowing. Maybe we should keep our eyes on that.

Grimbeorn still allows you to declare an attack against that enemy as the player who controls him, right? The card effect granting you that “declare an attack” is outside the framework of a normal combat phase? 

@Bullroarer Took That's what I'm saying. I know we'll probably not see THE drake till the end of the cycle, but if you're starting us off with a product called The Withered Heath, I sure hope to see at least A drake. But, considering Caleb didn't give us Half-trolls of Far Harad in the Harad cycle, the boss could be a Spider for all I know.

@Ywingscum Nothing totally new either :P See Redhorn Gate.

Edited by Gizlivadi

32 minutes ago, Chris51261 said:

Grimbeorn still allows you to declare an attack against that enemy as the player who controls him, right? The card effect granting you that “declare an attack” is outside the framework of a normal combat phase? 

It would work like this:

1) resolve enemy attack against Grimbeorn

2) trigger response buy paying a resource

3) Grimbeorn attacks enemy

32 minutes ago, Bullroarer Took said:

For Grimbeorn, do we resolve the enemy attack first (I think)?

Yes, but he attacks back with his response before the other enemies attack other characters. Like this:

1) enemy attacks GB

2) GB retaliates

3) other enemies also attack

4) normal player attacks happen against enemies

Is it just me or does the guy wearing the Squire's helm look a bit dizzy? :blink:

1 hour ago, Wandalf the Gizzard said:

Is it just me or does the guy wearing the Squire's helm look a bit dizzy? :blink:

I believe that's suppose to be Merry given the flavor text. As for the dizziness, more like Dori 2.0 with the headache. The Dutch Angle is making ME dizzy though.

Edited by stimpaksam

5 minutes ago, stimpaksam said:

I believe that's suppose to be Merry given the flavor text. As for the dizziness, more like Dori 2.0 with the headache. The Dutch Angle is making ME dizzy though.

He looks like he is on his back, taking off the helmet.

4 minutes ago, stimpaksam said:

Dutch angle making you dizzy? In LOTR LCG? I thought everyone would be accustomed by now. 90% of the card art in this game is at a friggin dutch angle, it's like Battlefield Earth!

1 hour ago, Gizlivadi said:

90% of the card art in this game is at a friggin dutch angle, it's like Battlefield Earth!

I wonder if it's to try to maximize the use of artwork that doesn't quite fit the size ratio of the image box on a card. For example, Merry's elbows are so wide in the Squire's Helm artwork that if the image were oriented normally, it would have to be shrunk further. That would mean his face would be a lot smaller than it is now. 

So, question then with Beorn's Rage? Can it be used for Beorn hero? The card targets the Beorning character, but does not do anything to him, and Beorn says he's immune to player card effects.