GrandSpleen

The Withered Heath preview

I think his point is that for straight shot to be useful, you need an enemy with 2 or less defense and with less hit points than grimbeorn's attack (which is likely to be boosted by the weapon attachment already required to use straight shot). Because if grimbeorn can kill the enemy with the counterattack, straight shot is superfluous.

Adding TaAragorn increases the set of enemies available to straight shot, but also increases the set of enemies available to instantly kill.

I think there is a place for it, but it's mostly worth using on big things like trolls and mumakil, or on enemies in the staging area in concert with marksman of Lorien

Grimbeorn seems really powerful, maybe bordering on over-powered. But he also seems like a bunch of fun since he'll let me use goofy and/or situational cards like Straight Shot. And Beornings are just plain cool. 

What heroes do you imagine you'd run with him? He'd slot well into a mono-tactics deck for sure, so the classics of T Eowyn, Hirgon, and Mablung seem like fine company. I've seen a few people mention Elfhelm because Grimbeorn greatly benefits from horses. 

Any other heroes that strike you as particularly good matches? 

I have Beorn hero in a Tactics rush, though I play it now with Theodred and Hirgon, a splash of Leadership, some 33 allies, mostly Tactics. An amazing deck but has to be paired with super questers. After they get going they help a bit with questing and do all the fighting.

Now to the point, I actually imagine Grimbeorn in a tri-sphere deck, with only a few Tactics cards, like Captain of Gondor or Rohan Warhorse. But I have no clear idea, yet. Spirit Glorfindel is always good because he sets the threat down and helps with attack, and you need not rely on fighting with allies.

Yeah, sounds good. Though I find the tribal decks almost always do better, as ally swarm can just do it all. It is why I prefer 2-player (or more) because one deck can be very different.

That said, the above line-up can surely be competitive even in solo, I feel.

Heros I'd like to see this cycle (in an ideal world)

-Grimbeorn (spoiled)

-Radagast

-Thorin Stonehelm

-Thranduil

-Spirit Sam (to round out the Spirit hobbit heros)

-FFG created hero (Tactics)

Thoughts, likelihoods? 

I'd be surprised if there was only one invented hero in the cycle, and this would be a grand time to introduce an invented Beorning and another invented Dale.  We need two lore and one of each other sphere in the cycle.  I'd love to see a Radagast hero and he'd be a natural for Lore.

Spirit Sam would make all four fellowship Hobbits available in spirit, but in a game with three heroes per player I don't think that's terribly useful.  Sam's a natural for spirit, but he's currently the only alternative for leadership hobbits.  While Sam is easily cool enough to justify another hero, his hero is so great that I'd rather see a leadership Frodo with actual hobbit synergy, or a more usable Bilbo.

Thorin Stonehelm is certainly local to the cycle and I'd love to see him.  Thranduil is sort of local but so far there's no hint of straying into his woods, and his obvious role (leadership silvan tribe) is so nailed down by Celeborn that I'm not sure what they'll do with him.  Soon or later it will happen, but it still might be later.

It's pretty typical for heroes to be completed unrelated to the box they are released in.  Last cycle was Harad, and we got Fastred and Folco!  Elrond showed up in Shadow and Flame, and Merry was in the Wastes of Eriador.   I think we'll see a Thranduil sneak in here somewhere...

Also, last cycle, they managed to give us only 2 FFG-created heroes, for those keeping count.  I bet they give us some more obscure names from the books this time around again, too.

We don't necessarily have to go to the place a character lives in order to get that character. I thought we all would agree with that by now. However, there's more likelyhood if we are around that character's home. With that said, I think Thranduil is almos guaranteed, as is Thorin III. I just hope there's still enough space for hero Radagast (who I think would and should be neutral), as well as artifact support with not only attachments (unique palantiri, lesser rings) but also events relating to them with all this attachment support (whuch I hope is not just item support).

4 minutes ago, Gizlivadi said:

We don't necessarily have to go to the place a character lives in order to get that character. I thought we all would agree with that by now. However, there's more likelyhood if we are around that character's home. With that said, I think Thranduil is almos guaranteed, as is Thorin III. I just hope there's still enough space for hero Radagast (who I think would and should be neutral), as well as artifact support with not only attachments (unique palantiri, lesser rings) but also events relating to them with all this attachment support (whuch I hope is not just item support).

Do you have any guesses/hopes as to what Radagast's ability will be? Maybe just a beefed up version of his Ally type?

Do you think we may get to see Stybba or Hasufel, considering we seem to be seeing almost every named horse in LOTR bar Fatty Lumpkin?

Or maybe another named eagle, like getting a Melendor ally or see Wilyador return? 

Just now, stimpaksam said:

Do you have any guesses/hopes as to what Radagast's ability will be? Maybe just a beefed up version of his Ally type?

Maybe instead of just healing and paying for creatures, he can do something with locations representing he is the wizard of the wild?

57 minutes ago, stimpaksam said:

I would hope Radagast isn't as narrow as his ally version. Even if he were excellent, I would be disappointed if all he did was work with Eagles/Creatures while a hero like Gnadalf is so splashable and works in such big variety of decks. Sure, Gandalf was the wandering all rounder wizard, true, but IMO Radagast should be somewhat at his level, a bit more universal than his ally version. I remember creating a custom version of him a while ago. He was neutral, was 3/2/2/5, and his ability dealt with gaining, switching and changing sphere icons and sphere matches, essentially being the "resource smoothing" hero, reflecting of course his role as a "changer of hues".

EDIT: This is my custom version of Radagast. Doesn't seem too flashy, but much like Bifur, he is a more subtle hero and his ability could be important as a glue hero for a variety of decks. Also, way more splashable and universal and overall much more wizardly IMO than just working with Eagles.

radagastdef.jpg

Edited by Gizlivadi
added pic

1 hour ago, RedSpiderr said:

Do you think we may get to see Stybba or Hasufel, considering we seem to be seeing almost every named horse in LOTR bar Fatty Lumpkin?

Or maybe another named eagle, like getting a Melendor ally or see Wilyador return? 

Maybe instead of just healing and paying for creatures, he can do something with locations representing he is the wizard of the wild?

It occurred to me over the weekend that we hadn't seen Stybba and I think that eventually we will.

I second Radagast. Should be neutral. Would be great to get him and more Eagle support. We are in the area. We need more Eagles, there has been only Gwaihir in like six years. We should see Meneldor, and a cost 3 non-unique one. And hopefully another event, too. Hmm, just realized how Grimbeorn would go great with support of the Eagles. I know that card is expensive but still.

Then I hope we finally see Thranduil. If so, I bet Leadership hero, though that might be too close to Celeborn? But as one of the few kings in Middle-earth of the time, it is hard to imagine him in a different sphere, though we did get Theoden in Tactics and Spirit. And I feel Silvan can still get a little extra. I found them to be the biggest thing in 2014 but since then there have been other power decks, and the Silvan have not evolved much further. Noldor, for instance, seem much more powerful and even more mechanic-specific now. I would like to see more Silvan love, but not necessarily more allies, we have more of those than in any other faction, I believe (perhaps safe Gondor).

I would like the other Beorning to be allies. Preferably better than the first two we saw. And more importantly we need something to make the first more playable. Especially the Beekeeper is such a nice idea, and such a terrible card (as it is). Cost reduction as for other factions? Or maybe this time a way to get them out of the discard pile, or directly from the deck into play for a round -- that would go great with the discarding allies, and actually ally Beorn, too (I almost forgot about him, though I have been trying to squeeze him in every other deck since day one of the game).

The Dale is surely getting enough, I do not care much. It is shaping nicely already.

More Woodman would be nice, but I doubt they can get a unifying theme. And it might be already asking too much, as we ought to see some generic stuff in the cycle as well... from other parts of Middle-earth.

2 hours ago, Wandalf the Gizzard said:

By the end of the year, Dale will probably be at the top of that list.

You think 35+ Dale allies are coming?!

Oh wait, maybe you meant alphabetically. Beornings still beat them out, though.

Edited by sappidus