GrandSpleen

The Withered Heath preview

15 hours ago, punkmonkey25 said:

So, question then with Beorn's Rage? Can it be used for Beorn hero? The card targets the Beorning character, but does not do anything to him, and Beorn says he's immune to player card effects.  

I'm going to go on record and say he is not immune to this effect, since it only references him as part of a trigger.  However, knowing how things work out, I'm waiting to be contradicted.

Immunity always feels like a fuzzy area, but let's take a look at what the RR has to say:

If a card is immune to a specified set of effects, it cannot be chosen as the target for or affected by effects that belong to that set.

• Immunity only protects the immune card itself. Peripheral entities (such as attachments, tokens on the card, and abilities that originate from the immune card) are not themselves immune.

Since Beorn's Rage does not affect Beorn himself, or really choose Beorn as a target—the game is merely detecting a Beorning character is involved in an attack—I think it's legal. Also, it would be the biggest thematic fail in the game if it didn't work, heh.

Edited by sappidus

On 9-4-2018 at 9:56 PM, Bullroarer Took said:

I had to look up Dutch angle.  Learned it's really Deutsch angle.

Same here. Learned something new.  ^_^

Though strange that I've never heard this frase as I'm dutch.

I'm excited to attach Firefoot to Grimbeorn. If everything works out, then you could defend against a 2 defense weenie, take no damage, kill the weenie, and then go on to trample another enemy before it gets to attack. And since Grimbeorn has sentinel, you could defend for another player and then trample an enemy engaged with you! Beorn (and presumably Grimbeorn) kept horses, so it's also a canonically viable combo, if that sort of thing matters to you. 

Also, Spare Hood and Cloak was already gonna be great in Dale decks, but it just got even better with this ally. 

Edited by pmdoug

On 4/10/2018 at 10:01 AM, GrandSpleen said:

...are you suggesting using a player card effect to remove the text 'immune to player card effects?'

. . . further illustrating another case where Revealed in Wrath is not useful. ;)

23 hours ago, Flrbb said:

Beorn hero works also with Rohan Warhorse.

No he doesn't, he can't have attachments. I'm assuming this is a joke I'm not getting.

Yes, Revealed in Wrath just seems too bad. I wanted to like the card. It is such a powerful moment in the books, when Glorfindel drives the Black Riders into the Bruinen. However, the card really does not do it justice. If it was the round and not phase, then it would be perhaps a little more powerful, but this way you cannot even go around archery. So it really is playable in a very few situations, like Mumakil, but I do not use sideboard. And there are now better cards for such occasions too, like the new Fierce Defense.

And yes, I think Rohan Warhorse is a much better combo than Firefoot for Grimbeorn. Well, Firefoot has a great potential, but it is hard to get the numbers. One of my favourite combos ever is Firefoot and Mighty Prowess on Eomer, and as you Quick Strike with him, you can actually destroy three enemies in a single blow before they get to attack (one left over from the last round, most likely). I have achieved it a few times, and it felt great. With Grimbeorn it seems less likely, though now if I just imagine having him in a Rohan deck with Elfhelm hero, and he soon can get Eomer's spot -- a different beast, however.

What would be a good way to increase Grimbeorn's attack?

Captain of Gondor -- perhaps the best to boost the defense as well, you need to engage though

Raiment of War -- strong, but more expensive and takes away the chance of a horse (Warhorse, Firefoot, Destrier)

Bow of Yew -- cheap extra hit, and just with that Grimbeorn can kill a 3d/3hp enemy, which is not bad

Hmm... help me here... I am a bit rusty on the cards, having had a break from gaming in the last year or so

Edited by Fingolfin Fate

Dunedain mark, as it is not restricted could be an option. Dagger of westernesse who allow us to play foe-hammer. With some mount there is also Elfhelm hero.

Edited by Rouxxor

Can Grimbeorn's ability combo with Straight Shot? Is there an action window there to play that event, or does the language of Grimbeorn's card ("and resolve his attack") preclude any actions? I'm always a bit muddled on these matters. 

Edited by pmdoug

Funny, I was going to mention to combo yesterday, but it slipped my mind. I believe there is a window, as any attack consists of those steps described in the rulebook, and those steps are green for actions.

And then yes, it is nice to find some use for such cards which are not played very often (at least that is what I think of Straight Shot, I do not remember ever playing the card). Reducing defense by two is substantial.

8 hours ago, pmdoug said:

Can Grimbeorn's ability combo with Straight Shot? Is there is action window there to play that event, or does the language of Grimbeorn's card ("and resolve his attack") preclude any actions? I'm always a bit muddled on these matters. 

The whole "and resolve his attack" is just a reminder to treat it like a normal attack.

7 hours ago, Fingolfin Fate said:

Funny, I was going to mention to combo yesterday, but it slipped my mind. I believe there is a window, as any attack consists of those steps described in the rulebook, and those steps are green for actions.

And then yes, it is nice to find some use for such cards which are not played very often (at least that is what I think of Straight Shot, I do not remember ever playing the card). Reducing defense by two is substantial.

There is a window, you can see it even more clearly in the new document: https://images-cdn.fantasyflightgames.com/filer_public/90/19/90191e4e-a341-4379-b398-5963b7a87ebf/mec01_online_only_rules_reference_for_website.pdf

But I don't think there will be many enemy with less than 3 defense but more than 3 (and probably more like 4 or 5 since Grimbeorn will have attachment) who make a good target for straight shot.

7 hours ago, Fingolfin Fate said:

Reducing defense by two is substantial.

Pair him up with Tactics Aragon and that's -3 defense! Make him an Elf-friend for a Rivendell Blade and forget about it.:)

2 hours ago, Rouxxor said:

There is a window, you can see it even more clearly in the new document: https://images-cdn.fantasyflightgames.com/filer_public/90/19/90191e4e-a341-4379-b398-5963b7a87ebf/mec01_online_only_rules_reference_for_website.pdf

But I don't think there will be many enemy with less than 3 defense but more than 3 (and probably more like 4 or 5 since Grimbeorn will have attachment) who make a good target for straight shot.

I believe you might again be playing more nightmare than I do. In my experience, there are many enemies with 2 defense or less. Even the very tough ones. Mumakil from Heirs of Numenor or the Land of Shadow again comes to mind. And what a way to get rid of him with a Straight Shot and Grimbeorn.