Zrob314

The Popcorn Bucket AT-AT

Got my disney popcorn bucket today, I haven't seen any comparisons so I thought I'd post some for you guys.

The AT-AT is 12" Tall, 14" long (back to chin guns) and 5" wide.  I posed my AT-ST at 9" tall. 

It's not perfect scale, but it is pretty close, or as close as I think we'll be able to expect.  

YazBL8C.jpg

ifVEVZI.jpg

0IO0jqf.jpg

RiXCibf.jpg

Edited by Zrob314

I think the scale is very off (compare to battle of hoth images of ATST up to ATAT knees )... but that doesn't matter - it still looks awesome!!

Add some custom rules, find a load of mates and run the Battle of Hoth - :-)

Apparently these haven't found their way to Disneyland Hong Kong yet... hoping they do :-).

15 minutes ago, Zrob314 said:

It's not perfect scale, but it is pretty close, or as close as I think we'll be able to expect.  

1 minute ago, Dave Grant said:

I think the scale is very off (compare to battle of hoth images of ATST up to ATAT knees )... but that doesn't matter - it still looks awesome!!

It's probably closer to scale with the ATST from IA. 

46 minutes ago, Dave Grant said:

a single scout walker is visible for about 2.5 seconds (right before Veers says "All troops will debark for ground assault")

It is seen at an odd angle and from an unknown distance.  It also comes up to at least the hip in that shot.  

2ki7WWn.jpg

It is later seen in great distance as the only background element for about 1.5 seconds as Luke is in the snow after having destroyed a walker with a grenade.

0wwaQQ9.jpg

There is no reliable shot in ESB that clearly shows the size difference between an AT-ST and an AT-AT other than that one is smaller but it is unclear by how much.

Now, what is interesting though is that the foot of the popcorn bucket is pretty much exactly the relative size to the T-47 airspeeder model, as seen in the shot where poor Dak is crushed to death.

Edited by Zrob314

The AT-AT's height is 22.5 meters the AT-ST's height is only 8.6 in comparison. The popcorn bucket is off scale size wise in several spots.

Edited by Oberron

8 hours ago, Oberron said:

The AT-AT's height is 22.5 meters the AT-ST's height is only 8.6 in comparison. The popcorn bucket is off scale size wise in several spots.

The footprint is still correct.  Check ESB.

I'm also pretty sure the feet are going to match the (ugly and useless) terrain map that's coming soon.

3 hours ago, Zrob314 said:

The footprint is still correct.  Check ESB.

I'm also pretty sure the feet are going to match the (ugly and useless) terrain map that's coming soon.

In esb Luke comes up to the height of the foot not above it and I'd need to see the foot on or near the air speeder model.

14 hours ago, Zrob314 said:

a single scout walker is visible for about 2.5 seconds (right before Veers says "All troops will debark for ground assault")

It is seen at an odd angle and from an unknown distance.  It also comes up to at least the hip in that shot.  

2ki7WWn.jpg

It is later seen in great distance as the only background element for about 1.5 seconds as Luke is in the snow after having destroyed a walker with a grenade.

0wwaQQ9.jpg

There is no reliable shot in ESB that clearly shows the size difference between an AT-ST and an AT-AT other than that one is smaller but it is unclear by how much.

Now, what is interesting though is that the foot of the popcorn bucket is pretty much exactly the relative size to the T-47 airspeeder model, as seen in the shot where poor Dak is crushed to death.

I have seen reference shots that show the AT-ST coming up to the knee of an AT-AT.

I have the old Wizards AT-AT and a Bandai AT-ST is just below the belly -still waiting on my legion AT-ST

Did you pick that up at the park or did you purchase it second hand. If you did purchase it from the park are you in California or Florida?

And as far as AT-ST and T-47 scale from FFG they are off. Bandai has an AT-ST and a T-47 both at 1:48 scale yet the FFG AT-ST is noticeably larger and the FFG T-47 is noticeably smaller compared to the Bandai models. I dont know which scale is wrong?

I have been trying to pick one up from Hollywood Studios but they say they are always out of stock.

9 minutes ago, C3POFETT said:

Did you pick that up at the park or did you purchase it second hand. If you did purchase it from the park are you in California or Florida?

A friend's sister in law is a park employee and bought one for me.  I paid retail.  I am not in either coast.

The problem here is that the T-47 is off scale to the AT-ST and the troopers.  There's no way Luke and another guy could fit in there.  SO, according to the foot the AT-AT and the T-47 are correct toward each other, but out of whack to the rest of the legion models.  

I like that it's 12 inches tall, if I use it for terrain (in casual games of course) I'll rule that T-47's can't fly over any point of it.

Edited by Zrob314

The T47 is not a large vehicle. As far as I can see just do the math and calculate at approx from 1:47 to 54 range...

5.3m×100(cm)÷48(scale)
=11.0416666667 cm

AT-AT should be around 18" or so at scale

Edited by Nihm

1 minute ago, Vineheart01 said:

ATSTs were shown walking next to them on Hoth and they werent even up to its "knee"

Again, no they were not.  I posted screenshot evidence of this previously. 

3 hours ago, Zrob314 said:

Again, no they were not.  I posted screenshot evidence of this previously. 

We do have shots of humans relative to both the AT-ST (Endor) and Luke relative to the AT-AT.

latest?cb=20141005092350

star_wars_at-at_desktop_2560x1024_hd-wal

If the humans are (as it appears) about 1/4 the height on that AT-ST, then it’s safe to say it might barely pass the joint. AT-AT would be double, maybe triple the height. 

2 hours ago, Derrault said:

We do have shots of humans relative to both the AT-ST (Endor) and Luke relative to the AT-AT.

latest?cb=20141005092350

If the humans are (as it appears) about 1/4 the height on that AT-ST, then it’s safe to say it might barely pass the joint. AT-AT would be double, maybe triple the height. 

That's cool. I've not disputed that.  There is, however, no shot in ESB or ROTJ (the only movies to feature both AT-ATs and AT-STs) that shows the relative size of one to the other.

BTW, Luke (minus base) is only slightly larger than the section he is compared to in that picture.

3 hours ago, Derrault said:

Isn't Luke a little short to be a scale reference? 

:P

Edited by ABXY

You have established, using the T-47 airspeeder as a reference, that the foot is pretty close to scale. But how do we know any other part of the popcorn bucket AT-AT is made in the same scale? It's likely that the plastic popcorn bucket was made to hold popcorn and precise and accurate scaling wasn't the primary goal of the designers. It's legs could be slightly short and stubby, it's head too small or too large - it's a popcorn bucket not a specific 1:X scale AT-AT model. You bought a popcorn bucket: it was designed to look like an AT-AT but has the primary function of being a plastic device for the holding of popcorn.

Relatively it looks ok - but we cannot say the entire thing is made within an accurate and precise scale therefore we can only sit here and argue about the AT-AT segment by segment. From the pictures and references provided I would hazard the guess that your AT-AT feet just happen to be the right size because they were intentionally made too large for the rest of the walker in order to increase the stability of the plastic model in order to fulfill its primary popcorn holding purpose. Additionally the legs look a little short by comparison. It's likely a good "approximate scale" AT-AT but unlikely to be proportionally a 1:X scale across all components. A slight variation from part to part wouldn't be noticed by the naked human eye and only becomes apparent when one starts measuring things against it...like scaled Star Wars: Legion models...

According to the "Official Lucas Scale" the AT-AT is 2.49 AT-STs tall. That popcorn bucket is clearly not 2.49 Legion AT-STs tall.

Edit: I thoroughly encourage the use of this model as terrain during a game of Star Wars: Legion for the sole justification that you could have A WHOLE BUCKET OF POPCORN cleverly disguised and integrated into your play-space.

Edited by ZealuxMyr

The side troop door on the Disney popcorn bucket is 30mm so a little short for the roughly 40mm tall figures. 

edit: I plan to have three variations of the figure, looks okay as terrain so far.

Edited by Bohemian73

17 hours ago, ZealuxMyr said:

You have established, using the T-47 airspeeder as a reference, that the foot is pretty close to scale. But how do we know any other part of the popcorn bucket AT-AT is made in the same scale? It's likely that the plastic popcorn bucket was made to hold popcorn and precise and accurate scaling wasn't the primary goal of the designers. It's legs could be slightly short and stubby, it's head too small or too large - it's a popcorn bucket not a specific 1:X scale AT-AT model. You bought a popcorn bucket: it was designed to look like an AT-AT but has the primary function of being a plastic device for the holding of popcorn.

Relatively it looks ok - but we cannot say the entire thing is made within an accurate and precise scale therefore we can only sit here and argue about the AT-AT segment by segment. From the pictures and references provided I would hazard the guess that your AT-AT feet just happen to be the right size because they were intentionally made too large for the rest of the walker in order to increase the stability of the plastic model in order to fulfill its primary popcorn holding purpose. Additionally the legs look a little short by comparison. It's likely a good "approximate scale" AT-AT but unlikely to be proportionally a 1:X scale across all components. A slight variation from part to part wouldn't be noticed by the naked human eye and only becomes apparent when one starts measuring things against it...like scaled Star Wars: Legion models...

According to the "Official Lucas Scale" the AT-AT is 2.49 AT-STs tall. That popcorn bucket is clearly not 2.49 Legion AT-STs tall.

Edit: I thoroughly encourage the use of this model as terrain during a game of Star Wars: Legion for the sole justification that you could have A WHOLE BUCKET OF POPCORN cleverly disguised and integrated into your play-space.

You also forget the possibility that the ILM guys just made models that worked for the particular shot or sequence and had no expectation that we'd be parsing this stuff out like holy scripture and arguing over the length of a cubit.  ;)

Edited by Zrob314

9 hours ago, Zrob314 said:

You also forget the possibility that the ILM guys just made models that worked for the particular shot or sequence and had no expectation that we'd be parsing this stuff out like holy scripture and arguing over the length of a cubit.  ;)

I did not forget, the Star Wars: X-Wing Miniatures A-Wing Scale Debate is a salty reminder to just leave that argument out of the general conversation entirely... :D