Sign in to follow this  
Cubanboy

New Storage post.

I'm at a loss. Too many ships and too many cards for one case and one binder to hold them all.  

Plano and Flambeau cases work well and stack nicely and you can carry 4 boxes in the big Plano tackle box. It's gotten to the point that I can only carry one faction in one of the big tackle boxes. That leaves room for the small folios for the upgrades and your templates. The upper compartment will hold one or two large based ships.

A couple of the guys have resorted to using the stackable tool boxes with a wheeled carrier. It works but it's very cumbersome. There's also the Feld Herr and Battle Foam carriers but those are very expensive.

Yeah... I think feldherr is only good for carrying stuff to games and stuff like that. I wouldn't keep my collection in them, just because the price and space requirement spiral out of control. 

I use 1 feldherr mini to carry my squad, tokens, cards and obstacles (I made asteroids), plus a few extra ships I can throw in if I feel like for casual games. 

The rest I keep in a cabinet, basically just throwing everything in random boxes. 

Edited by Commander Kaine

I use a big Plano tackle box(I believe model 728?). It holds 3 large trays in the center, plus two smaller trays on the sides. I use one large tray per faction, one small tray for tokens dice and templates, the other small for upgrade cards. It works fine, but my collection is starting to outgrow it. I'm gonna have to upgrade to two or three of these things. 

I keep my plastic packaging, put a base, a peg and the cardboard base tokens in the pack with the ship and put all of those in a suitcase/roller bag so I can drag it with ease to my FLGS, tackle boxes are popular though

I went the Feldherr way for the minis. Takes up space, and it's not cheap, but I like the way you can get your fleet sorted and have them almost ready for deployment.

When it comes to cards... I've been using binders, but I'm on the hunt for another solution, specially for the upgrade cards. Maybe a custom made tray or box with dividers...

I use Battlefoam for transportation, and Sir Willi's tuck boxes for ships and cards left at home.

http://sirwillibald.com/games/x-wing-miniatures-games/

I used to use binders for cards but it got to be a pain every time I made a new purchase. I now use collector boxes (http://sirwillibald.com/games/x-wing-miniatures-games/collectorbox-upgrades/) because I can just slide the new cards in place without shuffling everything over one space.

I use a mix of methods and not a single binder! For my Epic ships and a few large base ships, I use a mix of Battlefoam and Feldherr foam. The foam gets placed in the bottom of one of these:
https://www.staples.com/Staples-Expanding-Folding-Crate-on-Wheels/product_440122

Tokens and templates I store in a collector card case that also gets tucked in with the foam. 

On the top of that rolling crate, I have 3 tackle box-style small parts organizers which stack nicely. Bottom of the stack is Scum and Villainy, which stores 2 of almost every small base ship they have, their dials, upgrade cards, pilot cards (contained in plastic baseball card storage box) along with S&V specific upgrade cards as well as generic upgrade cards used by all 3 factions. Also stored in there are 3 Aggressors, 2 Jumpmasters, and a Lancer

2nd box is Imperial which follows the same theme. Stores ALL small base ships I own, their dials along with the Lambda and Upsilon.

Top box is Rebels which holds everything as the Imperial, just Rebel along with 3 Damage decks, all my dice, and a laser line.

Mixed in with all of that, I'm able to stuff in 2 folded up play mats, both manuals and every booklet with a scenario. I figure I have 2 more waves before I have to get a fourth box or completely redo how I drag my stuff around. (yes, I bring all of this to store games as I never know what I want to fly before hand since I only play casually)

I have a big glass display case from Ikea with all the minis in it for viewing.

All the cards and bases are in storage boxes like you use for baseball cards.

Tokens and Asteroids/bombs/etc are in a tackle box.  

When I play with friends or at a store I don't even bother with the cards, I just have an tablet with the squad on it.  I grab the ships and baseplates out of the display.  I've never played an "official " tourney where you need the physical cards, but I could grab them if I ever do

17 hours ago, Cubanboy said:

Hello Friends,

What is everyone using for storage?

I am thinking about trying to match bases with pilot cards any good ideas.

I just pull lists at home. I have the usual sorts of card boxes and keep the cards in an order that makes sense. I have the games product plus pluck foam and bag and keep the ships with their dials and the ship tokens in those. I pull lists before heading out and just put the correct foams and the lists (put into a zip baggie from my stack from the expansion packaging) in the bag. This way I show up ready to go. 

Outgrew my Plano 1374 after about Wave 12, but really liked using the 3750 boxes for ships, dials, and bases. So opted to add more of those and find a case that can hold them all. Ended up with a SKB 3I roller series case that can hold 7x 3750 and 1x 3780 ( 2 for each faction, 1 for tokens, etc.. the 3780 for the bigger large ships). Now up to 111 standard play ships and have plenty of room to grow with the ability to take them all with me wherever needed.

QQdiUfo.jpgt6zqKVv.jpg

Edited by Synthetix
spelling

1 hour ago, Synthetix said:

Outgrew my Plano 1374 after about Wave 12, but really liked using the 3750 boxes for ships, dials, and bases. So opted to add more of those and find a case that can hold them all. Ended up with a SKB 3I roller series case that can hold 7x 3750 and 1x 3780 ( 2 for each faction, 1 for tokens, etc.. the 3780 for the bigger large ships). Now up to 111 standard play ships and have plenty of room to grow with the ability to take them all with me wherever needed.

QQdiUfo.jpgt6zqKVv.jpg

Do you have more pics? I have started looking for something to hold multiple 3700 and something for the big ships. 

6 hours ago, Rat of Vengence said:

I have 4 of these for all my ships; $10 each and with the little containers, VERY adaptable.

ea64d5c4-b718-4a21-a9ba-a15863a3898b.jpg

Gotta make sure you store things right...

Image result for storage gif

I used to drive fork lift and have seen this happen. Once I was sure everyone was ok, funniest **** thing I ever saw at work because the kid driving had no liscense and maybe a weeks worth of experience. Love it when companies get bit in the *** for cutting corners.

I've experimented with various options, but I've moved fully over to Feldherr foam and cases.  It's not a cheap option by any stretch of the imagination, and certainly isn't the most space effective option, but in almost four years of playing I've only damaged one ship out of an extensive collection that's used at least a couple of times a week.

I've got a Feldherr Maxi case for each faction, and a Hard Case for my Epic ships - although the C-ROC doesn't fit in there.  I've then got a Mini Plus case for tournaments or game nights where I don't want to haul a whole bunch of stuff with me.  The Mini Plus comfortably holds 2-3 lists worth of stuff, and the dial and token tray is excellent for holding all the non-ship bits you need.

The big advantage of Feldherr is that I can usually just swap in and out whole trays at a time rather than having to pick out ships individually, which makes getting prepped a breeze.

As for dials, bases and tokens, I've got a plastic organiser box, a 9 pocket Ultra Pro binder for pilot cards (that's going to need upgrading for Wave 14, as it's full to bursting), and a zippable ring binder with 16 pocket mini American pages for upgrades.

I use Chessex cases.  You can fit a lot of ships into the slots as is, and others need some of the spars cut away to fit nicely.  Some, like the Y-Wing, JM5K, and IG-2000 you can even stack 2 deep.

884845_grande.jpg?v=1474853797

Unfortunately, there are some ships (YV-666, Ghost), that just won't fit at all.  Those get a shoebox.

20 hours ago, Cusm said:

Do you have more pics? I have started looking for something to hold multiple 3700 and something for the big ships. 

Don't have any more taken currently. What do you want to see/know? The SKB model I used is;

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001VBAM50/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Should also clarify, this does not hold my Epic ships. Just standard play small and large base. I use a separate case for the 5 Epics.

On 4/9/2018 at 4:51 PM, Synthetix said:

Don't have any more taken currently. What do you want to see/know? The SKB model I used is;

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001VBAM50/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Should also clarify, this does not hold my Epic ships. Just standard play small and large base. I use a separate case for the 5 Epics.

Any pics of the deep plano case? How do you store your cards, in the case? I see 2 deck boxes are these pilot cards?

I am presently in the process of upgrading.  Getting rid of most of my imperial stuff a while back allowed me to extend the life of the trusty Plano, but some stuff (VCX) was never going to fit, and the top section is now just an unruly pile of large ships and some small ones that don’t fit well in the inserts.

So I’ve started the process of moving to the Stanley Hand Tools Click & Connect tool box and organizers.  The tool box and one organizer was $20 on Amazon, and extra organizers are $14.  So far have the tool box and one organizer, with 2 more organizers on the way.  After I see where I stand I should only need a couple more organizers to store everything for X-Wing and Armada.  I already have all my dials and ship tiles (the biggest pita in my experience to store) packed away in it beautifully, with room to grow.

The snaps that hold the boxes together are sturdy, and in a worst case scenario I can detach the organizers that I need to bring with me.  

The tool box part holds stuff like the Ghost and my ISDs, plus all my Armada bases AND my small tackle box inserts of tokens for X-Wing.  The little portions in the lid hold my armada and x wing damage decks, my firing arc laser, and all my dice for armada and x-wing.

Unfortuantely, my Armada tokens are still relegated to a small Plano tackle box with 4 inserts.

For reference:

The new storage:

Stanley Hand Tools STST19900 Click & Connect 2-in-2 Deep Tool Box And Organizer https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01NBJ8GBF/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_N0l0Ab6DWXBJM

Old X-Wing storage:

Plano Angled Stowaway System https://www.amazon.com/dp/B006UTVKWW/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_Rbm0AbDZY1M45

Old Armada Storage:

Plano Double Cover Two Sided Tackle Organizer https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001ECQPVQ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_edm0AbGKMJQW3

Like a lot of players, I jumped for Plano to Plano but ultimately settled on SirWillibalds MicroHangers for ship models and GearBoxes for dials/base templates.  Once i built all the boxes (which took about a week!), I store them in this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0047V2KH4/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 - it has 3 tiers (1 for each faction, of course!) and works great.  I keep my cards in 2 binders - one for pilot cards, 1 for upgrade cards.  Also, if you use binders, make sure you get ones that zip all the way around, because cards will slide out if you tilt it the wrong way.

When I go somewhere to play, I take a crafted storage box with 2-4 squads in it, plus the stuff for the "first game" so I can give the proper introduction to the game.  If im going to visit friends/family for a few days and I know there are players, it is not hard to bring the entire collection, as it is 2 binders and a storage container.

I'm pretty happy with this arrangement, as it is convenient and has plenty of room to grow.

Edited by sirjorj

Btw if anyone wants a nice case for tournaments, you can't go wrong with some of the Feldherr cardboard boxes. (yellow/small, green/medium, blue/large) The cases have magnetic flip lids on them, and you can put a bunch of stuff in them. I just got mine last week.

They come with the standard Feldherr (removeable) trays, and if you're looking for a certain tray it's not a bad price. Some are more expensive right now (Upsilon + case is $27) but the Lambda tray + case is only $16.99.  The Lambda tray by itself on Amazon is $11.99.

Link to Lambda tray + blue (large) case here: https://www.amazon.com/Feldherr-Magnetic-X-WING-Lambda-Shuttle/dp/B074FXBQXD/