Sign in to follow this  
RadMcAwesome

Outrun Trooper painting help

Hey my dudes and dudettes,

I think I'm going to jump into Legion.  As any loyal citizen of the empire I hope to champion our boys in white, but I wish to do so with my own flair.  What I'm looking to do is apply the outrun aesthetic to some troopers.  Problem is, I've only got pretty basic experience painting minis.  So I would love if anyone could give me tips, inspiration, and point me in helpful directions.  I was thinking about doing the simple/safe whit troopers with pink and other color highlights.  But I also really like the idea of doing black troopers with neon pinks and purples and yellows, etc.  Seriously any help or constructive criticism would be amazing and helpful, and I'd love to hear even if you don't like the idea (but again, if its constructive).  Also, are there any painting rules that i'd be breaking for competitive play?  I don't think I'd be doing much of that, but I'd rather not box myself out.

Hey RadMcAwesome,

i cant really help with painting tips (i'm not to much of a good painter), but i do know that there are not any rules for painting. And whatever paint scheme you decide on it will be great, and after you paint your troopers if you feel comfortable, i would LOVE to see what they ended up like.

One thing you can do is paint a squad of stormtroopers in the classic style as those are the easiest to paint and easiest scheme - just for practice. Once you get very familiar with the models you can then devise a killer paint scheme. There are a lot of niches and cracks in the models that you can exploit, but you won't have the best feel for them until you painted them. If you get something that works well, you can go back and over paint them or strip them down and repaint them, but you really want to learn the model.

As for game play, you want to be able to tell the difference from one squad from the next. So you can do an outrun scheme for each squad but still make them vastly different since you got black, teal, pink, purple, red and orange to work with. How to change those colors up and where to put them on the model is the real challenge. Stormtroopers are easy enough to paint though, so I wouldn't be too worried about painting skill unless you really want to go for smooth color transitions and even then, with some practice, it can be done.

Look at @Tvayumat 's thread. He has some highlights that might interest you in this paint scheme.

In some regards painting bright fluro colours is probably about as hard a task as you can manage. Any shadowing may end up muting the colours and to create the "edges" where the colours join you will have to be quite accurate. There is a good chance your first go at painting may end up tedious and very challenging, which means you won't have fun and stop.

I would recommend that look at the models above, also the Sorastro's Painting Guide on the top of the Painting Forum and just get some practice in some of the techniques. Once you get them done then you can add the pinks and purples as reflected light bouncing off their armour. Just add a lot of medium to your paints (rather than water) then apply as to slowly develop a tinge of the colours in a manner you would imagine it would if you had LED panels or overhead lights in the colour chosen. What you are looking for is maybe 2-4 coats to slowly build up the colour in a tone and depth of colour that makes sense to you.

All the above advice is good.  I will say, though, the one big advantage to going with a non standard paint scheme for the stormtroopers is that you won’t get hung up on how they are “supposed” to look.