Captain Weather

Desert Rats - My Ongoing Rebel Army Project

Managed to completely finish my rebel army and I couldn’t be more pleased with the result - hope you enjoy it! 

The full album can be found here.

Full Army Shot:

U8s1MCV.jpg

Luke Skywalker:

mNwCEmg.jpg

drm0OQX.jpg

5nvkB7E.jpg

Rebel Trooper Squads:

7DmCUyA.jpg

trXWu2R.jpg

KgA5ajC.jpg

AT-RTs:

ldMbo8J.jpg

T-47 Airspeeder:

p9VYj7d.jpg

I'll be adding to this as new releases come out and I paint them. In terms of painting the models for the Rebel troopers I followed this guide:

The only change I made was that I used Citadel's Tallarn Sand for the pants instead of the Army Painter colour suggested in the video (largely because they were in the same colour spectrum and I already owned Tallarn Sand). 

For Luke and the AT-RT I followed Soastro's guides though I did not highlight Luke to the same degree that Soastro did and after one abortive attempt gave up on painting Luke's eyes. 

For the T-47 I used similar techniques to that shown for the AT-RT. I was a bit heavy handed with the Nuln Oil wash, and if I hadn't been so lazy I would have soaked up the excess so it didn't pool on the flat surfaces as it did. In the scheme of things though I think it still looks quite nice.

Edited by Captain Weather

Those are some wonderful models. I really like the Airspeeder, as well as Luke, and the AT-RTs, and the Rebel Troopers...

I like everything quite alot. Are you planning to get a 3rd AT-RT anytime soon?

On 4/8/2018 at 4:27 AM, Alino said:

Those are some wonderful models. I really like the Airspeeder, as well as Luke, and the AT-RTs, and the Rebel Troopers...

Thanks! I'm really proud of them and I'd be lying if I said I didn't enjoy hearing that others think they have turned out well. 

17 hours ago, BrotherOrii said:

Awesome scheme. I've been looking for a decent guide for desert rebels. 

The link in your imgur album seems to be broken. Any chance you can post it here?

I've edited my original comment so that the video is linked (and I've updated the link in the imgur album as well). 

@Force Majeure thanks for embedding some of them into a post. I've also edited my original post to include a selection of the shots as well. 

On 4/8/2018 at 4:27 AM, Alino said:

Also I realised I didn’t answer your question! I’m a maybe. They’re pretty easy to paint so it’s not a huge commitment to pick one up. 

It would also open up some list options, especially once Leia arrives and leader cost drops. I’ll have to think about it. 

5 hours ago, Hidatom said:

which "tufts" did you use on the desert bases?

I used the Army Painter jungle tuft, but I realised pretty quickly that they looked a little out of place with how completely green they were. On the advice of friends I drybrushed the tufts with Citadel Averland Sunset to give the top of them a burnt from the sun look. Small change but it made a huge difference! 

On 4/11/2018 at 1:56 AM, C3POFETT said:

I love the color choices. Your miniatures will truly stand out on a Desert themed table. It reminds me of a fairly new but almost worn leather look.

Beautiful work.

Thanks so much for the kind words!

I was fortunate enough to play on a desert table over the weekend and they do look really good on them. 

Edited by Captain Weather
Photo broken

11 hours ago, Captain Weather said:

Finished my first unit of commandos! 

Han is up next because boy I do not have the willpower to do another infantry unit right now.

I’m glad I’m not the only one who gets burned out working on 6 miniatures at a time.  I finally did Veers and it was a joy to be able to focus on one mini and complete it in a few hours...

Your units all look great.  I have been experimenting around and making all my units painted and based differently to help tell them apart and to kind of broaden my experience.  Yours is the first thread that has made me think it would be nice to have a cohesive theme.

For your airspeeder, you mentioned being a bit unhappy with the amount of nuln oil in the flat areas, and it does come across as pretty grubby.  I might double down on that and add some more corrosion to it so it looks even more weathered.  Just a thought.

Edited by BigBadAndy

1 hour ago, BigBadAndy said:

I’m glad I’m not the only one who gets burned out working on 6 miniatures at a time.  I finally did Veers and it was a joy to be able to focus on one mini and complete it in a few hours...

Your units all look great.  I have been experimenting around and making all my units painted and based differently to help tell them apart and to kind of broaden my experience.  Yours is the first thread that has made me think it would be nice to have a cohesive theme.

For your airspeeder, you mentioned being a bit unhappy with the amount of nuln oil in the flat areas, and it does come across as pretty grubby.  I might double down on that and add some more corrosion to it so it looks even more weathered.  Just a thought.

Infantry is just a real slog. Like you say it’s nice to just take your time on a single model. 

Thanks for your kind words! I’m really proud of them. I think each unit looks pretty good, but collectively they really kick up another gear.

I’ll have to do a new family photo when Han and and the second commando unit are done to get my expanded forces all in the one shot. 

Also I’ll definitely revisit the speeder sometime in the future and see if I can’t touch it up.