Sign in to follow this  
Warzgaroth

Swarm Gambit

I like flying lots of imperial ships, but am generally frustrated with the lack of hit points and red dice. So i've come up with the following list to mitigate those points a bit and would like your input:

Swarm Gambit 100 pts

Omega Ace (TIE/FO) 20 pts
Swarm Leader (EPT) 3 pts
Advanced Optices (tech) 2 pts

Zeta Leader (TIE/FO) 20 pts
Swarm Leader (EPT) 3 pts
Advanced Optices (tech) 2 pts

Youngster (TIE) 15 pts
Debris Gambit (EPT) 2 pts
Stealth Device (mod) 3 pts

Wampa (TIE) 14 pts

Dark Curse (TIE) 16 pts

The idea is to use swarm leader to make my list more threatening. Because of the way that swarm leader works, i won't need to fly in formation (something at which i'm not that good at and is now considered a death sentence anyways). To get the most out of swarm leader, i need lot's of evade tokens. And with Youngster and debris gambit, I might be able to pull this off (will require some good flying, but if even 1 TIE fighter managers to get two evades, he can already feed both swarm leaders). Plus, having lots of evade tokens will make the list a bit harder to kill.

I've added two swarm leaders to the TIE/FO's because they have the extra shield, target lock action and because they can take advanced optics (of which i've heard lots of good things).

Things i'm wondering:
-removing stealth device from youngster for some extra points elsewhere (perhaps targeting computer on Wampa and using OL, see below). While it will be annoying for my list when youngster dies, it's not like it will fall apart without him due to the situational nature of debris gambit
-switching out Zeta Leader for Omega Leader: This will give me less headaches because i won't need to worry about removing stress as much. And OL is just a nice ship to have (even though he won't have juke or comm relays)
-possible other TIE fighters to use: Not sure if Dark Curse or Wampa are the best to use for this list, but i can't seem to make up my mind on which i'd like otherwise

Any input is welcome.

Unfortunately, Swarm Leader is a unique card, which means you'll have to choose which pilot you want to carry it. Personally I like the idea of it being on Zeta Ace. Then I'd swap out Omega Ace for the standard Omega Leader build. With the remaining points, I'd then switch your three other TIEs to Black Squadron Pilots all with Debris Gambit. This will give you much more opportunities to trigger Swarm leader, as each TIE can use it's Debris Gambit independently, as well as three very slippery TIEs.

Edited by Jabberwock150

On ‎07‎/‎04‎/‎2018 at 12:10 PM, Jabberwock150 said:

Unfortunately, Swarm Leader is a unique card, which means you'll have to choose which pilot you want to carry it. Personally I like the idea of it being on Zeta Ace. Then I'd swap out Omega Ace for the standard Omega Leader build. With the remaining points, I'd then switch your three other TIEs to Black Squadron Pilots all with Debris Gambit. This will give you much more opportunities to trigger Swarm leader, as each TIE can use it's Debris Gambit independently, as well as three very slippery TIEs.

Omega Ace with some sort of attack die boost is really good - but for a different job to omega leader - Leader is much better at engaging dice-dependent aces, whilst a string of criticals is great for brutalising high hull, low agility targets. It's also a great pairing for I'll Show You The Dark Side, making Omega Ace the better wingman for Kylo Ren (in whatever variation).

Swarm Leader is....okay. But I wouldn't rely on getting that extra die all the time without seriously messing with the rest of your squad (compare it to the price of a 3-dice cannon, or opportunist, both of which have downsides).

If you really want an evade factory, Youngster/Debris Gambit is the wrong way to go about it. You're spending 5 points more than the price of an academy pilot to give ships which already have the evade action the debris gambit action. Then you're spending 3 more points on a not-all-that-reliable stealth device.

If you really want evade generators, either just bring generic academy pilots (the cheapest way to add the tokens) or bring Chaser/Night Beast, who get focus actions 'for free' and hence can use their actions to generate evade tokens.

For that matter, TIE/fo with advanced optics can do much the same - so there's an argument with sticking with a pure first order squad (which looks aesthetically nicer)

I'd keep Zeta Leader (improved pure firepower is good and unlike the omega uniques, Black One and Countermeasures can go whistle for their supper) but take the cheaper Wired version. Alternatively, you can take a 'budget' omega leader as an ace-killer.

• Omega Ace - Swarm Leader, Advanced Optics
  • Epsilon Squadron Pilot - Advanced Optics x 3
  • And Either
    • Zeta Leader - Wired, Weapons Guidance, Twin Ion Engines MkII
  • Or
    • Omega Leader - A Score To Settle, Advanced Optics