Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
ghalgor1

Son of Skywalker

Recommended Posts

Hi All

Can anyone explain how the Son of Skywalker card works, as I was under the understanding that that you cannot attack more than once in a round but yet Son of Skywalker seems to allow it.  I know that cards supersede the rule book but I thought the rule of 'cannot' supersedes everything.  Thanks in advance 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, ghalgor1 said:

Hi All

Can anyone explain how the Son of Skywalker card works, as I was under the understanding that that you cannot attack more than once in a round but yet Son of Skywalker seems to allow it.  I know that cards supersede the rule book but I thought the rule of 'cannot' supersedes everything.  Thanks in advance 

The word "Cannot" only supersedes everything when on an upgrade card.

Cannots in the Rulebook can be over-ridden by things on Cards.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, ghalgor1 said:

Hi All

Can anyone explain how the Son of Skywalker card works, as I was under the understanding that that you cannot attack more than once in a round but yet Son of Skywalker seems to allow it.  I know that cards supersede the rule book but I thought the rule of 'cannot' supersedes everything.  Thanks in advance 

You can only perform one attack action, but you can perform more than one attack during that action.  RRG p. 14:

“During a unit’s activation, it is possible for a unit to perform more than one attack through the use of card abilities or other game effects; however, that unit can only perform one attack action during a single activation, regardless of whether it is an attack action or a free attack action.”

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Patteous said:

One thing I’ve been curious of. Does that second attack use up the second action? Or can I charge and use an attack then attack again then withdrawal?

You are doing one attack action. But you can attack twice with this action. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Tokra said:

You are doing one attack action. But you can attack twice with this action. 

It’s worth noting that Son of Skywalker triggers after his first attack, not attack action, so it could be used as a second attack as part of the melee from charge.

1 hour ago, Patteous said:

One thing I’ve been curious of. Does that second attack use up the second action? Or can I charge and use an attack then attack again then withdrawal?

Interesting idea, but when withdrawing, a unit cannot take any other actions during their activation.  So no I’m afraid he can’t do it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Alathazal said:

It’s worth noting that Son of Skywalker triggers after his first attack, not attack action, so it could be used as a second attack as part of the melee from charge.

Ok, it works for each attack (no matter if they come from an attack action or a free attack). Currently it does not matter, because i don't think that Luke has a free attack (beside the one from Son of Skywalker). Even the charge is an attack action (action = once per turn). Veers has one free attack, with his command card. And the second attack from Son of Skywalker is as well a free attack. 

But you still can attack a second time after you did an attack (no matter if it comes from action or free). But you can decide what kind of attacks these are. melee or ranged. And this second attack does not need one of your two actions.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Tokra said:

Ok, it works for each attack (no matter if they come from an attack action or a free attack). Currently it does not matter, because i don't think that Luke has a free attack (beside the one from Son of Skywalker). Even the charge is an attack action (action = once per turn). Veers has one free attack, with his command card. And the second attack from Son of Skywalker is as well a free attack. 

But you still can attack a second time after you did an attack (no matter if it comes from action or free). But you can decide what kind of attacks these are. melee or ranged. And this second attack does not need one of your two actions.

Sorry wasn’t questioning that you can only have one attack action of any kind.  Just that after the move/charge/melee (free attack action)/melee (SoS extra attack) he would still have one action, because the charge melee is a free attack action.  He couldn’t attack, but he could still take a dodge or something else.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Alathazal said:

Sorry wasn’t questioning that you can only have one attack action of any kind.  Just that after the move/charge/melee (free attack action)/melee (SoS extra attack) he would still have one action, because the charge melee is a free attack action.  He couldn’t attack, but he could still take a dodge or something else.

Its ok, and correct ;).

I am getting used to the differences as well. Attack action (no matter if from your action or from free action) is something different than attack (without the word action). 
Same as dodge action and putting a dodge on the unit. An attack (without action) is about the same, you can do it several times and it does not cost you any action.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So, since Son of Skywalker allows for an additional attack (not an additional attack action) and Saber Throw has as its last sentence “this counts as an attack action”, can I use Saber Throw as my second attack granted me by Son of Skywalker? Specifically can I do a blaster attack action, trigger Son of Skywalker and then do a Saber Throw?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/7/2018 at 2:52 PM, scooper4711 said:

So, since Son of Skywalker allows for an additional attack (not an additional attack action) and Saber Throw has as its last sentence “this counts as an attack action”, can I use Saber Throw as my second attack granted me by Son of Skywalker? Specifically can I do a blaster attack action, trigger Son of Skywalker and then do a Saber Throw?

No, since Saber Throw is actually a card action that is treated as an attack action. Son of Skywalker grants a free Attack... no action involved. You would need to shoot your blaster.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, rossljensen said:

I was under the impression you could attack 3 times  during one round with this card.

1. Move to engage (free attack from luke)

2. Attack Action

3. Son of Skywalker additional attack.

Yes?

Not quite. Luke's Charge ability grants a free attack action.

So after #1, #2 would not be allowed. #3 is still allowed because it is a free attack (note the lack of the term "action").

Edit: and here is the reference in case you need to prove it to anyone. Pay particular attention to where it says "attack" and where it says "attack action". Page 14:

Quote

During a unit’s activation, it is possible for a unit to perform
more than one attack through the use of card abilities or
other game effects; however, that unit can only perform
one attack action during a single activation, regardless of
whether it is an attack action or a free attack action.

 

Edited by nashjaee
added reference

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, nashjaee said:

Not quite. Luke's Charge ability grants a free attack action.

So after #1, #2 would not be allowed. #3 is still allowed because it is a free attack (note the lack of the term "action").

Edit: and here is the reference in case you need to prove it to anyone. Pay particular attention to where it says "attack" and where it says "attack action". Page 14:

 

So you could use your first action to gain an aim token, then move into melee and use the free attack action, the use the free attack from Son of Skywalker?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...