Sign in to follow this  
syrilian

Painting required?

I would expect that it won't be required, just encouraged.

From what I've heard via the Legion Outriders podcast, the plan from FFG is to have rewards for painting in the Ground Assault Kits.

45 minutes ago, ML-0416 said:

Honestly it should be.

No it shouldn't. People who don't want to paint will either not buy the game or half-*ss their paint job and make it look worse than regular plastic. Either way that would be bad for the game.

3 hours ago, syrilian said:

Has FFG said yet if official tournaments will require minis being painted?

FFG has a paint-your-army fantasy game called runewars. In that game your army does NOT need to be painted but they do have a painting prize award in their tournament kits to reward those players who do paint.

11 minutes ago, Qark said:

No it shouldn't. People who don't want to paint will either not buy the game or half-*ss their paint job and make it look worse than regular plastic. Either way that would be bad for the game.

FFG has a paint-your-army fantasy game called runewars. In that game your army does NOT need to be painted but they do have a painting prize award in their tournament kits to reward those players who do paint.

This is definitely the way to go!

Encourage painting with some nice prizes but dont make it a requirement!

1 hour ago, Qark said:

Then they shouldn't get into this hobby since painting is part of it, and yes when you start painting it will likely look terrible, I remember my first space marine and how terrible it looked but that's okay because people get better over time and there are plenty of tutorials online on how to paint better. I would take a badly painted army over a swarm of grey plastic any day.

Whether it should be or not ; it won’t. It’s not required for IA or Rune Wars. A prize for best painted army is fine in my book. Besides I don’t know how fast you paint, but it’ll take me at least three months to finish an 800 Point army. It’ll probably take me longer because I’ll be switching back and forth on my back log

48 minutes ago, ML-0416 said:

I'm the life of the party.

It's okay ML, I agree with you completely. Although that said, I 100% refuse to play with people that play with unpainted armies. I make sure to have everything painted and, if there's something i want to use in a tournament that isn't painted? I'm not going to field it, I'll make a new list, because I can't stand the look of dull grey hordes.

21 minutes ago, Alino said:

It's okay ML, I agree with you completely. Although that said, I 100% refuse to play with people that play with unpainted armies. I make sure to have everything painted and, if there's something i want to use in a tournament that isn't painted? I'm not going to field it, I'll make a new list, because I can't stand the look of dull grey hordes.

So what happens if you play a tournament that allows unpainted minis and you are selected to play against one?

I don't think it will be, They might do something extra for armies that are painted but as for making it to play in a tournament? I doubt it. And if they do, they will have to give some kind of rules set for at least a basic entry requirement and that is gonna be pretty funny to see rules wise.

I enjoy painting up my army.  I enjoy seeing well painted armies clash.  I also think that painting should not be required, as it would only harm the size of our player base.  Some people do not have the time or inclination to paint their own figures, or the extra cash to have someone else paint them.  That's no reason to bar them from playing in official events. More people means we get to see more ways of using units, of list building, and hopefully more challenging matches.

5 hours ago, ML-0416 said:

Then they shouldn't get into this hobby since painting is part of it, and yes when you start painting it will likely look terrible, I remember my first space marine and how terrible it looked but that's okay because people get better over time and there are plenty of tutorials online on how to paint better. I would take a badly painted army over a swarm of grey plastic any day.

That’s a bit harsh isn’t it?  It is just a hobby, it’s something we do in our spare time for the fun of it.  Painting can be a part of the hobby, but it’s not an essential.  The playing of the game ultimately is why most of us are here regardless.

1 hour ago, Alino said:

You 100% refuse!  Wow, that has to be one of the most sportsman like things I’ve read on these forums thus far.  The kid that had to saved for 6 months to just get a copy of Legion, just so he can turned up for an OP event?  The player that suffers from tremors who physically can’t hold a mini that still for that long?  These are the two cases we have in our gaming group and you wouldn’t play these people?  I don’t think you’d say you wouldn’t play them (or at least I would hope you wouldn’t), as a community we’re far better than that.

Painting is just one part of this truly fantastic hobby and while I paint everything and I love to see whole lovely painted armies trenching across the battlefield, I would be disparaged to hear people being turned away from anything official just because they don’t have the time, money or physical ability to do so.

59 minutes ago, Alathazal said:

That’s a bit harsh isn’t it?  It is just a hobby, it’s something we do in our spare time for the fun of it.  Painting can be a part of the hobby, but it’s not an essential.  The playing of the game ultimately is why most of us are here regardless.

Painting is just one part of this truly fantastic hobby and while I paint everything and I love to see whole lovely painted armies trenching across the battlefield, I would be disparaged to hear people being turned away from anything official just because they don’t have the time, money or physical ability to do so.

If it sounded harsh it wasn't my intention and yes it's just a hobby and how people hobby is entirely up to them, however painting is a pretty big part of the hobby and it should be encouraged, am I asking people to expertly paint their miniatures? No, paint your stormtroopers bright pink and your rebels with clown faces for all I care, it's better than showing up with a horde of grey.

21 minutes ago, ML-0416 said:

If it sounded harsh it wasn't my intention and yes it's just a hobby and how people hobby is entirely up to them, however painting is a pretty big part of the hobby and it should be encouraged, am I asking people to expertly paint their miniatures? No, paint your stormtroopers bright pink and your rebels with clown faces for all I care, it's better than showing up with a horde of grey.

Playing devil's advocate do you think that people that just collect the miniatures and paint them should play the game they are made for? It can be argued that playing the game is just as big a part.

19 minutes ago, Oberron said:

Playing devil's advocate do you think that people that just collect the miniatures and paint them should play the game they are made for? It can be argued that playing the game is just as big a part.

Depends, are they wargamers or just model collectors?

26 minutes ago, ML-0416 said:

Depends, are they wargamers or just model collectors?

Whats the relevance to the question? Playing the game is part of the hobby too.

Edited by Oberron

18 hours ago, syrilian said:

Has FFG said yet if official tournaments will require minis being painted?

Fortunately, no.

It would be a real fools errand to create a game intended to reach a wide audience and then kneecap all your efforts by telling prospective players they also have to become painters. 

20 minutes ago, Derrault said:

Fortunately, no.

It would be a real fools errand to create a game intended to reach a wide audience and then kneecap all your efforts by telling prospective players they also have to become painters. 

Totally. They won't require it, they will likely encourage it.

Other games have tried this and as far as I know GW, PP, Wyrd, ect... none of them currently require painted mini's.

GW did one time require 2 or 3 colors but that just caused people to slop some paint on to make the requirement and nothing more.  The result was worse looking then gray plastic.

The best thing to do is have special awards for painted mini's but not require it, because quite frankly you don't need painted mini's to play the game, and it is in the end a game first and a hobby second.

11 hours ago, Alino said:

I hope you are joking or exaggerating because if you are not youre not someone worth playing against anyway.

9 hours ago, ML-0416 said:

Why would you want to look at that over gray plastic? I mean, I'm fine if that's what a player wants to do or that's the level they're at skill-wise, but I don't see the point in forcing it. Also, we'd all know that seeing a quick and sloppy paint job across the table is just as likely to be a result of forcing someone to paint as it is the person taking the initiative to do so. You'd be forcing people to have the same painting ethics you do, not inspiring them. 

9 hours ago, ML-0416 said:

People should be encouraged to paint, not punished for not painting. 

Which is what seperate paintung prizes are good for!