20 hours ago, DOMSWAT911 said:

Green Knight, I read your post for Strategic Advisor, the way I read the FAQ, there is no mention for the status (activated or not activate yet) of the ship equiped with that upgrade card. It's only to clarify that you can't use this upgrade if your ship equip with this card is set aside.

''This card’s effect can only resolve if the ship it is equipped to could activate this turn.''

Is it only me or... ''Could'' means only the possibility to be activated?

I had the some uncertainty. But the text says (emphasis added):

This card’s effect can only resolve if the ship it is equipped to could activate this turn

It uses "turn" and not "round". The Learn to Play guide defines turns as:

1. Ship Phase: Players take turns attacking withand moving each of their ships.

So if a ship has previously been activated in a round, then on a current turn, the ship could not activate a second time and Strategic Adviser cannot be used subsequently. So the FAQ prevents SA from being used on ships already activated in a round and as ships off the board due to e.g. Raddus or Hyperspace Assault.

2 hours ago, ShoutingMan said:

I had the some uncertainty. But the text says (emphasis added):

It uses "turn" and not "round". The Learn to Play guide defines turns as:

1. Ship Phase: Players take turns attacking withand moving each of their ships.

So if a ship has previously been activated in a round, then on a current turn, the ship could not activate a second time and Strategic Adviser cannot be used subsequently. So the FAQ prevents SA from being used on ships already activated in a round and as ships off the board due to e.g. Raddus or Hyperspace Assault.

That was the way we where using it but a question arise in my group. Why can we not use this upgrade like the Interdictor Title in combination with G-8.

The Interdictor title let you use is effect even if you have already activated your Interdictor during that round.

I just look your reference in "The learn to play guide" and compared the french version and the english version just to be sure for my understanding. All what "Turn" means is : player 1 activate one of is ship follow by player 2 who is doing the same. There is only a definition for "Round" in the Rules reference guide, nothing on "Turn". And for more confusing, in french, a "Turn" mean the same as a "Round". ;)

Unfortunately, the new FAQ didn't answer this question.

We took the decision to use it as long the ship equiped with SA didn't activated but... The question remain and I like to give the right answer base on something from FFG. :(

@Drasnighta, something on this?

Edited by DOMSWAT911

In my local area, we've been known to have a lot of the exact sort of list that the FAQ was designed to nerf- I'm sure you all know what I'm talking about: the Gallant Haven/Yavaris/3ish Flotillas/massive bomber + Relay ball list...

Honestly, I'm excited, because I usually played with a low activation count and fewer squadrons anyway, and got trampled by the meta, so now I think I'll be a bit more competitive.

2 hours ago, DOMSWAT911 said:

That was the way we where using it but a question arise in my group. Why can we not use this upgrade like the Interdictor Title in combination with G-8.

The Interdictor title let you use is effect even if you have already activated your Interdictor during that round.

I just look your reference in "The learn to play guide" and compared the french version and the english version just to be sure for my understanding. All what "Turn" means is : player 1 activate one of is ship follow by player 2 who is doing the same. There is only a definition for "Round" in the Rules reference guide, nothing on "Turn". And for more confusing, in french, a "Turn" mean the same as a "Round". ;)

Unfortunately, the new FAQ didn't answer this question.

We took the decision to use it as long the ship equiped with SA didn't activated but... The question remain and I like to give the right answer base on something from FFG. :(

@Drasnighta, something on this?

In essence:

The ONLY question is:  CAN THE SHIP WITH STRATEGIC ADVISOR ACTIVATE ?

(IE, is it legal to activate it RIGHT NOW?)

If YES, IE, it is ON the Board, it is your chance to activate, and it is a LEGAL target for activation...    YOU MAY USE STRATEGIC ADVISOR.

If the ship that Strategic Advisor is NOT a legal choice to Activate...  Because:

1) The ship is not on the Board.
2) The ship has already activated.
3) It is not your chance to activate.
4) Some other rule says a different ship must be activated.

THEN YOU CANNOT USE STRATEGIC ADVISOR.

Turn and Round are completely and utterly irrelevant, because if it is prevented from activating EITHER in the ROUND or the TURN, then its being prevented from being activated and Strategic Advisor CANNOT be used.

THE INTERDICTOR TITLE is different.  Why?  Because it gives a Specific Trigger.....   WHEN A SHIP ACTIVATES.  It can be Any Ship.  Even an Enemy ship when its not your Turn.

STRATEGIC ADVISOR IS DIFFERENT.

Its Trigger involves "YOU".  THIS SHIP.  THIS SHIP.  THIS SHIP.

THE INTERDICTOR DOES NOT SAY "YOU" or "THIS SHIP" in the Trigger.

It says ANY SHIP.

THATS WHY YOU CANNOT USE STRATEGIC ADVISOR LIKE THE INTERDICTOR TITLE.

NOTHING IN THE RULES prevents you from using Upgrade Cards on ships that are not Activating...  

THE TRIGGERS ON THOSE UPGRADE CARDS STOP IT.

The Trigger on Strategic Advisor stops it.

The Trigger on Interdictor Allows it.

Edited by Drasnighta

14 hours ago, thecactusman17 said:

Can't do the 21st, but possibly the next evening?

The R2's currently only significant build is powerful, but costs 60 points.  It has serious deficiencies vs minor issues like ships or squadrons shooting in its general direction.  It's fast, but has to approach an enemy to successfully attack it in most cases.  A major part of its cost 

A Gozanti Cruiser on the other hand can be outfitted for a variety of purposes and can withstand an unusually lethal beating with decent success rates.  It can act as a pocket carrier, disrupt enemy commands with Slicer Teams, augment squadrons, provide a platform for "bubble" augment or debuff effects like BCC and Suppressor, and even repair damaged ships with Repair Crews.  And it also has small guns  that can plink off shields on top of its support functions.

This irrational hatred is beyond me. Why I will have you know that I once had a raider that did things. It might have even destroyed something. Like an ISD...or a Vic...or a Decimator...or a tie fighter.

Now that I think about it, it landed on an astroid, got structural and blew up. Nevertheless, you will die.

I should be available the 22.

8 hours ago, Drasnighta said:

In essence:

The ONLY question is:  CAN THE SHIP WITH STRATEGIC ADVISOR ACTIVATE ?

(IE, is it legal to activate it RIGHT NOW?)

If YES, IE, it is ON the Board, it is your chance to activate, and it is a LEGAL target for activation...    YOU MAY USE STRATEGIC ADVISOR.

If the ship that Strategic Advisor is NOT a legal choice to Activate...  Because:

1) The ship is not on the Board.
2) The ship has already activated.
3) It is not your chance to activate.
4) Some other rule says a different ship must be activated.

THEN YOU CANNOT USE STRATEGIC ADVISOR.

Turn and Round are completely and utterly irrelevant, because if it is prevented from activating EITHER in the ROUND or the TURN, then its being prevented from being activated and Strategic Advisor CANNOT be used.

THE INTERDICTOR TITLE is different.  Why?  Because it gives a Specific Trigger.....   WHEN A SHIP ACTIVATES.  It can be Any Ship.  Even an Enemy ship when its not your Turn.

STRATEGIC ADVISOR IS DIFFERENT.

Its Trigger involves "YOU".  THIS SHIP.  THIS SHIP.  THIS SHIP.

THE INTERDICTOR DOES NOT SAY "YOU" or "THIS SHIP" in the Trigger.

It says ANY SHIP.

THATS WHY YOU CANNOT USE STRATEGIC ADVISOR LIKE THE INTERDICTOR TITLE.

NOTHING IN THE RULES prevents you from using Upgrade Cards on ships that are not Activating...  

THE TRIGGERS ON THOSE UPGRADE CARDS STOP IT.

The Trigger on Strategic Advisor stops it.

The Trigger on Interdictor Allows it.

Thank's for the answer, for being clear, it's clear.

I will be able to pass the message.

But I will explain it without all those capital letter. I don't want them to feel this way... ;)

863479756191aed887ca94c3860218d7390e8bb2

It's funny, but Kushiel and I have many times had the discussion we thought relay should have always worked the way it does now. Kinda cool to see that come to fruition :) I like that it plays better with the Boosted Comm upgrade now, so you might see that upgrade again. Also makes Centicore a little cooler, since it's more of a unique effect it can pull off.

Condolences to those who bought three Flotillas though, it sucks to lose money. If you bought four or more...better I leave that unsaid.

28 minutes ago, Cuthawolf said:

Condolences to those who bought three Flotillas though, it sucks to lose money. If you bought four or more...better I leave that unsaid.

More than two flotillas are fine in any format other than a tournament. 

Well, they are allowed, anyway.  'Fine' implies 'ok' which fleets of flotilla spam to pad activation usually never are to play against......;)

I personally like Relay how it is now.  It just gives that VCX or Lambda the ability to grant a ship juuust a bit more reach, rather than activating squads from the other corner of the board like the old way was usually only ever used for.  Of course, now there's the argument about chains, so you can relay while you relay....

Edited by AegisGrimm

7 hours ago, RobertK said:

More than two flotillas are fine in any format other than a tournament. 

While this is technically true, I can't think of too many of my local guys who would take a pickup game against 3+ flotillas unless it was specifically agreed to in advance. The assumption is most of us are playing for fun but also for competitive event training and if we're doing something outside of that (weird format like Monster Trucks, big game, etc.) then it's doable but should be scheduled with someone else in advance. I imagine most other communities are the same.

Avenger: unneeded from my point of  view but welcomed if it ends with the fear of bringing big ships to the table. It is still good and xi7 exists.

Gallant Haven: FINALLY! It was needed cause Biggs made it insanely good. I wouldn't care if they even reduce it cost but "1 dmg will pass" is good.

Yavaris: not really needed IMHO. I think relay errata hurt it more than this.

Relay: I hoped they change it reducing its range to 1. I don't like the way they did but something should be done so, fine.

Aspiration: omg!

Flotillas: both changes seem too much  to me. The limit on three would  be fine. I like the limitation cause it is helpful to MSUs (the big loosers with SAd). The balance is back IMHO.

15 hours ago, DOMSWAT911 said:

I really think that FFG is planning something new for another flotilla.

Something with weaponry on the side for the Rebel and they don't want a spam of this new one ;)

Maybe a Braha'tok.

Dornean02.png

but ... it ain't something "big" :P

My fleet before the FAQ.

MC80 Assault Cruiser (114)
• Strategic Adviser (4)
• Electronic Countermeasures (7)
• Reinforced Blast Doors (5)
• Leading Shots (4)
• Quad Battery Turrets (5)
• Defiance (5)
= 144 Points

CR90 Corvette A (44)
• Admiral Ackbar (38)
• Turbolaser Reroute Circuits (7)
• Jaina's Light (2)
= 91 Points

CR90 Corvette A (44)
= 51 Points

GR-75 Medium Transports (18)
• Comms Net (2)
= 20 Points

= 18 Points

Squadrons:
• Shara Bey (17)
• 5 x A-wing Squadron (55)
= 72 Points

Total Points: 396

My list after the FAQ.

• Strategic Adviser (4)
• Leading Shots (4)
• Defiance (5)
= 144 Points

CR90 Corvette A (44)
• Admiral Ackbar (38)
• Jaina's Light (2)
= 91 Points

CR90 Corvette A (44)
= 51 Points

• Comms Net (2)
= 20 Points

GR-75 Medium Transports (18)= 18 Points

Squadrons:
• Shara Bey (17)
= 72 Points

:D :D :D :D ;)

33 minutes ago, X Wing Nut said:

My fleet before the FAQ.

• Strategic Adviser (4)
• Leading Shots (4)
• Defiance (5)
= 144 Points

CR90 Corvette A (44)
• Admiral Ackbar (38)
• Jaina's Light (2)
= 91 Points

CR90 Corvette A (44)
= 51 Points

• Comms Net (2)
= 20 Points

= 18 Points

Squadrons:
• Shara Bey (17)
= 72 Points

My list after the FAQ.

• Strategic Adviser (4)
• Leading Shots (4)
• Defiance (5)
= 144 Points

CR90 Corvette A (44)
• Admiral Ackbar (38)
• Jaina's Light (2)
= 91 Points

CR90 Corvette A (44)
= 51 Points

• Comms Net (2)
= 20 Points

GR-75 Medium Transports (18)= 18 Points

Squadrons:
• Shara Bey (17)
= 72 Points

:D :D :D :D ;)

And it is still a bit worse...:P

23 hours ago, Snipafist said:

While this is technically true, I can't think of too many of my local guys who would take a pickup game against 3+ flotillas unless it was specifically agreed to in advance. The assumption is most of us are playing for fun but also for competitive event training and if we're doing something outside of that (weird format like Monster Trucks, big game, etc.) then it's doable but should be scheduled with someone else in advance. I imagine most other communities are the same.

Could that be due to the fact that you have fostered a community that is tied closely to the tournament meta game?

Almost all of my games are pick-up games with a few different friends. None of them care very much about whether flotilla spam is bad for the game or "gamey". And we manage to have fun without having a single look at the tournament regulations (I know them, but basically forget about them until I'm in a tourney). I wager my friends and I aren't a unique situation.

33 minutes ago, RobertK said:

Could that be due to the fact that you have fostered a community that is tied closely to the tournament meta game?

Almost all of my games are pick-up games with a few different friends. None of them care very much about whether flotilla spam is bad for the game or "gamey". And we manage to have fun without having a single look at the tournament regulations (I know them, but basically forget about them until I'm in a tourney). I wager my friends and I aren't a unique situation.

Communities beget organization. 

Organization begets Regulation.

The larger or more routine/structured the community, the more likely the regulations are - even passingly -  adhered to.

You are not likely alone at all... but I would also dare say that your community is less structured than, say, Mine or Snipas... 

Not that there is anything wrong with that, just my observation - I mean, I doubt my community would function without regulation — being restricted to the odd pickup game here or there rather than actual dedicated game days where people can drop lots of games at once.

1 hour ago, RobertK said:

If your community consists less of friends and more of acquaintances and everyone is struggling with time and room to get enough games in, tournaments and league games are almost the only thing that keep Armada games coming your way and those have to be regulated.
And even if you just pick up a game, you really want to avoid giving other people reasons to complain, so you just stick to the rules.
At least thats the state on my end.

1 hour ago, Drasnighta said:

Communities beget organization. 

Organization begets Regulation.

The larger or more routine/structured the community, the more likely the regulations are - even passingly -  adhered to.

You are not likely alone at all... but I would also dare say that your community is less structured than, say, Mine or Snipas... 

Not that there is anything wrong with that, just my observation - I mean, I doubt my community would function without regulation — being restricted to the odd pickup game here or there rather than actual dedicated game days where people can drop lots of games at once.

Completely agreed. Ours isn't so much a community as a few guys that have played games most Friday nights for 10 years. We don't really need the regulation. When we play something our opponents find annoying, it's likely to not get another look. We are friends first, after all. Flotilla spam hasn't really been a thing, although we are aware of it.

18 minutes ago, Doppelganger said:

If your community consists less of friends and more of acquaintances and everyone is struggling with time and room to get enough games in, tournaments and league games are almost the only thing that keep Armada games coming your way and those have to be regulated.
And even if you just pick up a game, you really want to avoid giving other people reasons to complain, so you just stick to the rules.
At least thats the state on my end.

Again, completely agreed. I was just responding to the point some have been making about selling off their flotillas since they don't need more than two anymore. There's a reason they put this in the tournament regulations and not in the general FAQ. Not everyone plays Armada with an eye toward tournament competition.

As for me, I only own 2 flotillas anyway. But now that I'm playing a 1 player vs 1 player Corellian Conflict campaign with 3 fleets vs 3 fleets, I am feeling somewhat limited for the grand finale battle that is on the (far) horizon. :) But my Vader Cymoon-3Arq fleet, Thrawn Interdictor-2VicII fleet, and Jerjerrod ISD2-Demo-2Raider fleet are looking pretty good even without very much flotilla support. Fun stuff.

Cheers, all!

Edited by RobertK