Jump to content
Blail Blerg

The QD + 2 Seinar PS4 Silencers

Recommended Posts

16 hours ago, Biophysical said:

The Silencers are good enough that I'm seriously contemplating replacing Quickdraw for a 3rd one.  They are great at tanking TLTs.  No token stack, but with 6 hit points, it's okay to occasionally fail.

I do want to try triple analysts. That combination of optics, fcs and thrusters is surprisingly good for a generic.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Magnus Grendel said:

I do want to try triple analysts. That combination of optics, fcs and thrusters is surprisingly good for a generic.

I tried Tie FOs with advOptics and was very impressed by them.  T-70s were less impressive though. Is the silencer with FCS, advOptics, and AT really above average in raw efficiency? More so than Tie Defenders and Tie FOs, or Tie SFs with advOptics and FCS? Has anyone tried generic tie FOs? The Silencer has the important upgrade of auto thrusters though, that makes a great difference against turrets.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Magnus Grendel said:

I do want to try triple analysts. That combination of optics, fcs and thrusters is surprisingly good for a generic.

You can make that 3rd Silencer a FO Test Pilot with VI, Advanced Optics, FCS and Autothrusters for 36 points, the same cost as Quickdraw in the original build.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I bought a second Silencer this week to give it a go at league last night. Lots of fun, though I need to get used to flying ships with arcs and lowish pilot skill again!

I went 2-2 with it, including some practice games. The losses had one thing in common: a 45+ point Nym with Trajectory Simulator Bomblets on the table vs one of my ships. Can't run. Can't approach without blowing up spectacularly.

Completely mystified a Raclo, though. He didn't have Dauntless, so the Analysts rotated a couple of blocks and his first Kylo action came with RAC at 5 health. And then he couldn't punch through the crit and just died sadly. 

I was torn whether to bring the Intensity version or not. Decided the 32-32-Quickdraw build was just better, though the Intensity one looks to be more fun.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, skotothalamos said:

I bought a second Silencer this week to give it a go at league last night. Lots of fun, though I need to get used to flying ships with arcs and lowish pilot skill again!

I went 2-2 with it, including some practice games. The losses had one thing in common: a 45+ point Nym with Trajectory Simulator Bomblets on the table vs one of my ships. Can't run. Can't approach without blowing up spectacularly.

Despite my uncertainty about Quickdraw as the ace, Nym really lets her earn here keep.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, PenguinBonaparte said:

How does this fare against high-ps Imperial lists like QD,Vader, Nu and the like? I'd worry about being hunted down in the end-game after QD was taken out.

I haven't faced this list in competition, but in general, I've found the Silencers pretty resistant to alpha strike.  If you're at R3, Autos kick in, and you can soak a hit or two.  Range 2 is really bad, but pretty avoidable.  They're so fast, though, that it's not unlikely to blitz straight to R1 and not take a missile at all.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

honestly, I think the biggest argument for QD has less to do with her ability and more with just PS 11

though you use her over vader because QD doesn't get utterly shafted by stuff like stress or bumping (or generally losing actions) and she has one more shield

 

Edited by ficklegreendice

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Biophysical said:

I haven't faced this list in competition, but in general, I've found the Silencers pretty resistant to alpha strike.  If you're at R3, Autos kick in, and you can soak a hit or two.  Range 2 is really bad, but pretty avoidable.  They're so fast, though, that it's not unlikely to blitz straight to R1 and not take a missile at all.

This was my experience in a couple of recent games.    I managed to avoid my opponent getting missiles off at all, though I did lose one of the games but that was because of a key mistake on the opening engagement that  is easily correctable.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I figured with an alpha list flying against this I'd try to just get QD gone in the initial exchange an then use PS to get some little hits in here and there while staying out of arcs. Does that seem feasible? The goal for the Silencers conversely might be to just run straight at the alpha so you can soak some and keep QD alive for a bit or at least make them pay for the exchange.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A bit random, but what about using a bat-wing shuttle instead of Quickdraw?

Sienar-Jaemus Analyst (26)
Fire-Control System (2)
Advanced Optics (2)
Autothrusters (2)

Sienar-Jaemus Analyst (26)
Fire-Control System (2)
Advanced Optics (2)
Autothrusters (2)

Starkiller Base Pilot (30)
Fire-Control System (2)
Tactician (2)
Advanced Optics (2)

Total: 100

View in Yet Another Squad Builder

 

Basically, it's there to throw 4 dice and act as an emergency advanced sensors with coordinate. It's weaknesses are completely different than the silencers too (namely, it doesn't care about bombs.)

*edit: Also realizing that using Major Striden, dropping Advanced Optics, and changing Tactician to Death Troopers may be a more interesting way to do things. It'd be brutal against turrets.

**edit: Changed FCS for Advanced Optics. This is the final version of the squad I'm going to start practicing.

Sienar-Jaemus Analyst (26)
Fire-Control System (2)
Advanced Optics (2)
Autothrusters (2)

Sienar-Jaemus Analyst (26)
Fire-Control System (2)
Advanced Optics (2)
Autothrusters (2)

Major Stridan (32)
Collision Detector (0)
Death Troopers (2)
Advanced Optics (2)

Total: 100

View in Yet Another Squad Builder

Edited by rabid1903

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, PenguinBonaparte said:

I figured with an alpha list flying against this I'd try to just get QD gone in the initial exchange an then use PS to get some little hits in here and there while staying out of arcs. Does that seem feasible? The goal for the Silencers conversely might be to just run straight at the alpha so you can soak some and keep QD alive for a bit or at least make them pay for the exchange.

Probably depends on the quality of your opponent.  About 80% of my games, my strategy is "trade Quickdraw for X, clean up with Silencers".  Typically, the whole list starts the first exchange with TL/Focus thanks to optics.  That's a lot of quality shots coming your way.  You might be able to arc dodge the Silencers once QD is gone, but i wouldn't count on it happening a lot. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, Biophysical said:

Probably depends on the quality of your opponent.  About 80% of my games, my strategy is "trade Quickdraw for X, clean up with Silencers".  Typically, the whole list starts the first exchange with TL/Focus thanks to optics.  That's a lot of quality shots coming your way.  You might be able to arc dodge the Silencers once QD is gone, but i wouldn't count on it happening a lot. 

Out of curiosity, how do you set up most games?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, hawk32 said:

Out of curiosity, how do you set up most games?

I have two general openings.  

With the first, the Silencers deploy toward one side with Quickdraw towards the middle.

The second type of deployment is with QD in the middle and a Silencer in either side. 

The first is probably 70% of my deployments with the second at 30%.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Biophysical said:

I have two general openings.  

With the first, the Silencers deploy toward one side with Quickdraw towards the middle.

The second type of deployment is with QD in the middle and a Silencer in either side. 

The first is probably 70% of my deployments with the second at 30%.

For the second, how spread out are your ships? The first time I faced this list my opponent had QD in the middle and a Silencer in each corner, and tried to force me to commit to one target which he could then run away with while he brought the others in.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, apoapsis said:

For the second, how spread out are your ships? The first time I faced this list my opponent had QD in the middle and a Silencer in each corner, and tried to force me to commit to one target which he could then run away with while he brought the others in.

Probably about 3 range bands between the center and an edge.  The Silencers are fast enough that you can correct for opponent's deployment pretty easily.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just tried flying the Major Striden version of the squad I mentioned above (but trading Fire Control System for Advanced Optics and Collision Detector.) Had two games against the same Nym+Miranda squad, and I'm pretty happy with it. Major Striden's ability to coordinate at the same PS as the Silencers was fantastic. It effectively acted as either Advanced Sensors or Push the Limit on most turns, and turns when I couldn't coordinate (rare) I would regain my focus. Fire Control System didn't seem as appropriate because it was so much harder to keep the same target in arc from turn to turn. Death Troopers didn't come into play all that often, but it's a great way to shut down Expertise so I've decided to keep it.

Note that I'm pretty out of practice, and it was on TTS instead of in person. So not necessarily the best data point, but it's something.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What about doubling down on Coordinate and taking Pattern analyzer instead of any crew? There's a lot of red on that dial, getting coordinate or even a focus to hit harder may pay off more.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, rabid1903 said:

Just tried flying the Major Striden version of the squad I mentioned above (but trading Fire Control System for Advanced Optics and Collision Detector.) Had two games against the same Nym+Miranda squad, and I'm pretty happy with it. Major Striden's ability to coordinate at the same PS as the Silencers was fantastic. It effectively acted as either Advanced Sensors or Push the Limit on most turns, and turns when I couldn't coordinate (rare) I would regain my focus. Fire Control System didn't seem as appropriate because it was so much harder to keep the same target in arc from turn to turn. Death Troopers didn't come into play all that often, but it's a great way to shut down Expertise so I've decided to keep it.

Note that I'm pretty out of practice, and it was on TTS instead of in person. So not necessarily the best data point, but it's something.

What about targeting scrambler instead of collision detector? Paired with death troopers it could mess with enemy target priority.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, apoapsis said:

What about targeting scrambler instead of collision detector? Paired with death troopers it could mess with enemy target priority.

I'd have to try it out, but losing a shot is a tough price to pay when you throw 4 dice.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Biophysical, you said you weren't sure QD was the best choice for a 3rd, how about this?

2S-J Vess (100/100)
==================
TIE Defender: Colonel Vessery (35 + 1)
    + A Score To Settle (0)
    + Tractor Beam (1)
    + TIE/D (0)
TIE Silencer: Sienar-Jaemus Analyst (26 + 6)
    + Fire Control System (2)
    + Advanced Optics (2)
    + Autothrusters (2)
TIE Silencer: Sienar-Jaemus Analyst (26 + 6)
    + Fire Control System (2)
    + Advanced Optics (2)
    + Autothrusters (2)

Someday I'll spend the money on a 3rd Silencer, but until then I'll play around and see what works best at 36 pts.

Edited by DXCrazytrain

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So played this at the cac today for the first time... went 4-2... lost to low/strezra/miranda and kylo/qd/tie academy my last two games.   Neither of those games felt unwinnable, just need a bit more practice with the list.  It's a lot of fun to play, and fun to actually care about arcs on a low ps ship and not feel like you've got a massive disadvantage before turn 0.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...