Fuzzywookie

How do you roll your dice?

I usually "present" my dice to my opponent before rolling, to make sure we both have accounted for all additions or subtractions.
I'm right-handed so I give the pool a few shakes in my right hand, then toss them onto the least-crowded portion of my side of the board.

After all modifications are accounted for, I sweep blanks to my right bottom corner of the mat, and leave the results to be compared out on the table, clustered together for clear viewing.

What ever way I'm rolling them, I'm clearly doing it wrong.

7 hours ago, Darth Meanie said:

I put them in my mouth, chortle like Boss Nass, and try to spit them out as dry as possible.

Because I hate when players don't bring their own dice and templates.

...that's just... ew.

Especially considering how I only ever use the core set dice, and I had the discussion at the Open about how there's been so many times I've picked an opponent's dice up by accident during the clean up phase, or they've picked my dice up.  There's no way the dice I currently use are the ones I originally bought.

After all the events I've been to and the number of international players I've met, the dice from my original starter set could be on the other side of the world right now.

12 hours ago, xanderf said:

s-l300.jpg

You may think this is overkill, but that's just because you are wrong.

It does seem to help a bit getting more "random" results with dice, and less of the extremes that just tossing them on the table seems to generate.

It isn't. I use one as well though not a plastic one. The tower also keeps the dice from inadvertently knocking things down and cuts off any conversation that I'm not rolling "fairly." 

I also make sure to clearly indicate where my dice pool comes from so we can sort out any too few/too many issues before the roll. 

I just count them up, shake in both hands, and roll them over a section of the mat with nothing on it not near ships.  But I would pay good money for a dice tower in the shape of an imperial turret!  I had built one at one point at it was great, the only problem was I didn't build a tray and I had a scaling issue.  So when the dice got to the bottom they actually went all the way across the mat.  But that thing was excellent for randomness!

20 hours ago, Fuzzywookie said:

Me. I put them in my hand.  Count them to make sure I have the right amount. Toss gently on the table. Cry at all the blanks. How do you roll?

Like this:

latest?cb=20100512194821

I count them including the mods, for my opponent to see and to check, then cup them in my hands, shake them and roll them on the mat with my right hand. Then I present the results with paint and go on from here with reroll and focus. I remove remaining blanks from the mat. When I attack, I remove hits depending on how many evade results there are, so that the end result is clear for both of us. 

I tend to roll them in between my hands while my opponent is doing his dice. This intensifies with the game state. Now what I think of it I should maybe avoid that, gives away too much. I do also roll them in my hands before I reroll, hoping not to get the same move and results all over again. 

On 4/5/2018 at 3:36 PM, Fuzzywookie said:

Me. I put them in my hand.  Count them to make sure I have the right amount. Toss gently on the table. Cry at all the blanks. How do you roll?

Step 1:

I put my dice in my mouth.  this is mostly habit but helps with later steps.

Step 2:

I lock eyes with my opponent. I begin to hum aggressively and inflate my throat pouch. this continues until my opponent breaks eye contact. which leads to 

Step 3: 

I forcefully eject all dice from my mouth into my opponents face while screeching, and simultaneously inflate my frills.

Step 4: having established dominance, i bob my head aggressively while rapidly inflating and deflating my throat pouch and frills. This both satisfies my instinctual urges and demoralizes my opponent

Step 5: having been removed from the event, I reflect on my primacy. Alpha status assured, I begin the quest for a worthy adversaries anew

RIMMER: Don't you want to hear the Risk story?
LISTER: That's what I've been saying for the last fifteen minutes.
RIMMER: But I thought that was because I hadn't got to the really
interesting bit...
LISTER: What really interesting bit?
RIMMER: Ah well, that was about two hours later, after he'd thrown a
three and a two and I'd thrown a four and a one. I picked up the
dice...
LISTER: Hang on Rimmer, hang on... the really interesting bit is exactly
the same as the dull bit.
RIMMER: You don't know what I did with the dice though, do you? For all
you know, I could have jammed them up his nostrils, head butted him on
the nose and they could have blasted out of his ears. That would've
been quite interesting.
LISTER: OK, Rimmer. What did you do with the dice?.
RIMMER: I threw a five and a two.
LISTER: And that's the really interesting bit?
RIMMER: Well it was interesting to me, it got me into Irkutsk.

reddwarf.jpg

Edited by GrimmyV

If it is one dice, I shake with one hand (usually the right) launch mid-air to the other hand (usually the left), then throw at table.

If it is several dice, shake with both hands, take roughly half in one hand, other half in the other, then throw at table trying to make them collide, sort like a particle accelerator. 

37 minutes ago, ABXY said:

Do you ever have a die landing on top of another? 

Nope. And haven't had any jams. It was the product of multiple iterations to make sure it would work. I am not very careful lifting it up, and I try to not look down inside, so any stacking likely gets knocked over on the reveal.

Edited by Jdling

On 5. 4. 2018 at 10:52 PM, Wiredin said:

I make the hand motion as if I'm *expletive deleted* then toss them on the table admiring the paint. 

I use the same technique. Sometimes even with dice.

All my matches go to time because every single dice roll is done in true Anime style. I'm talking over the top special effects where the background disappears and I appear to be floating in space, over exaggerated spinning prior to throwing, suspending the dice in mid air whilst on lookers explain the critical nature of the roll and the potential outcomes, two filler episodes of back story, one angst speech detailing how I deserve this roll more than the other person because of some tragic incident that made me vow to never roll bad dice again, the actual dice hitting the table at the end of the episode, ending credits, open credits which go on for 4 - 5 minutes, a 3 minute recap of the last 10 minutes and then the dice hit the table and I roll one blank, a focus and a crit. 

Then I have to go through the whole "glass flash reflection" thing as I smugly smile and push my glasses up with one finger whilst a friend explains to everyone that in reality, despite rolling only a single crit, with the combination of modifications available to me, it is in fact likely to be two crits and a hit. 

Que over the top shocked look, scream of NANI !!?? and a montage. 

That's just a single dice roll. I'm not going into the defense roll, there isn't enough thread left. 

75 minutes is never enough time for me, this is why I don't win events. It's got nothing to do with the fact I'm a bad pilot or fly absolute jank.