Tonbo Karasu

Elemental Cycle & Scorpion Pack Spoilers

Aren't they usually ordered by cost though? With Hurricane Punch being 0 cost, I would think if #16 is also Dragon, it would also need to be 0 cost. On the other hand, Crane ancestral sword could make sense since it'd be at least 2 cost (I think that's what Ofushikai is costed at) so it'd made sense to follow Mirror's Gaze. And of all packs, I feel like air would be most thematic for the crane sword. IMHO.

8 hours ago, Kaito Kikaze said:

Aren't they usually ordered by cost though? With Hurricane Punch being 0 cost, I would think if #16 is also Dragon, it would also need to be 0 cost. On the other hand, Crane ancestral sword could make sense since it'd be at least 2 cost (I think that's what Ofushikai is costed at) so it'd made sense to follow Mirror's Gaze. And of all packs, I feel like air would be most thematic for the crane sword. IMHO.

No, Fate cost is the last criteria conflict cards are sorted by.

First they’re sorted by clan, then by type (characters, attachments, events), and lastly by cost.

So in this case, 16 can be a Crane attachment (costing 2 or more) or event, or a Dragon character, attachment, or event. If it’s a Dragon event, it must cost 0.

Edited by Tabris2k

Can you use the Ikebana girl ability if you have no Fate? I mean, it’s not a cost, but an effect. 

But the “instead” there makes it look like is a condition you must fulfill. 

Edited by Tabris2k

6 minutes ago, Tabris2k said:

Can you use the Ikebana girl ability if you have no Fate? I mean, it’s not a cost, but an effect. 

But the “instead” there makes it look like is a condition you must fulfill. 

No, you can't.  What is after the dash has to result in a change to the game state.

17 minutes ago, Darguth said:

With the Wicked Tetsubo how does that work with buffs and attachments, are you only setting the character's printed skill to zero?

Since it doesn't use "printed" or "base", it sets the current skill value to 0, regardless of any non-set modifiers.

20 minutes ago, Darguth said:

With the Wicked Tetsubo how does that work with buffs and attachments, are you only setting the character's printed skill to zero?

You're setting its total to 0, and even if they try to raise or lower it with other cards, it's still 0 because it says "until the end of the Conflict."

28 minutes ago, Tonbo Karasu said:

See, my first thought for the Ikebana Artisan wasn't that it was a good defense against dishonout, it was thought I could use it to let me do no-defender while honour-running and not suffer for it.

That was my exact impression.  It allows you to choose your battles with alternative penalties for doing so while castling towards your honor victory.

That's an interesting ruling, and does make Ikebana Artisan a little more palatable. Could use a little more aggressive stats I think, though. It's not a good trade-off unless you're rich or broke, but I guess helps you really pressure some key rings while working your way to an honor victory, if that's your game.

4 hours ago, Kakita Shiro said:

That was my first impression, but the wording is not so clear. My Crane friend is going to be very happy. He’s deadset on doing an Honor deck with Crane, and this card can help him.

I think it's more "Changing a game rule" is a change to the game state. Later, when the game goes to enforce that rule, it realizes you have no fate and just shrugs. Creating a replacement effect seems like a work-around for that part of the rules?

As for the "Artisan" denomination, I think FFG has passed an opportunity to rectify one long-standing mistake. "Artisan" denotes a trade, something  below the Samurai class. The word they were looking for is "Artist".

18 minutes ago, Mon no Oni said:

As for the "Artisan" denomination, I think FFG has passed an opportunity to rectify one long-standing mistake. "Artisan" denotes a trade, something  below the Samurai class. The word they were looking for is "Artist".

An Artisan is defined as follows by Merriam-Webster:  A worker who practices a trade or handicraft: CRAFTSPERSON

There is also a second definition which does not really apply. 

Ikebana is the Japanese ART or CRAFT of flower arrangement which by the art of the card makes this pretty obvious. You can make an extremely strong argument that this person depicted in the card is an Artisan and therefore the card name is perfectly apt here. I am not an old L5R player where they may have been super liberal with the term so I can not say for certain on that end.

I think we might be looking too deeply into Rokugan and our definitions in the real world. At one point in time in OL5R, they even had a samurai geisha. There was even a school to reflect this and that should be really weird.

Edited by Hordeoverseer

22 minutes ago, Hordeoverseer said:

I think we might be looking too deeply into Rokugan and our definitions in the real world. At one point in time in OL5R, they even had a samurai geisha. There was even a school to reflect this and that should be really weird.

Maybe we are, but using correct language is important, especially since the game uses English as well as Japanese words that have definitions. If it was a made up language sure, I agree with you. I think being a Geisha and a Samurai are perfectly compatible as they are not mutually exclusive trainings. We have Bushi Courtiers which seems a lot more weird to me than that. 

Edited by cforfar

I agree with @Mon no Oni here; though the terms have some vagueness and are often used interchangeably, an artisan is usually someone doing the activity as a means of gainful employment. The baker Jeffery Hamelman made this differentiation in his book, “Bread”: an artist makes works or arrangements completely new and never seen before while an artisan makes something already invented but with high quality, repeatedly and consistently. The former is about creativity, the later is about craftsmenship.

Rokugani samurai are nobility and hence rich due to their status, and as such do not need jobs, and needing a job would imply they don’t have enough money to sit around all day writing haiku and contemplating the beauty of gardens etc etc.

Artisan sounds cool is probably the reason it became the card title, but unless the person in the picture is running a flower arrangement business she is probably an artist.