Tonbo Karasu

Elemental Cycle & Scorpion Pack Spoilers

1 hour ago, Taki said:

does This also work off air province actions or if you play a theoretic air conflict personality?

Or air character played from a province for that matter?

From the RRG

Play and Put into Play

Playing a character or attachment card involves paying the card’s fate cost and placing the card in the play area. This causes the card to enter play. Cards are played from a player’s hand or provinces. Any time a character card is played, its controller has the option of placing additional fate from his or her fate pool on the card.

Some card abilities put cards into play. This bypasses the need to pay the card’s cost, as well as the opportunity to place additional fate on the card. A card that is put into play bypasses any restrictions or prohibitions regarding the potential of playing that card. A card that is put into play enters play in its controller’s play area.

◊◊ A card that has been put into play is not considered to have been “played.”
◊◊ In order to play a card, its fate cost (after modifiers) must be paid.
◊◊ When a card is put into play, its fate cost is ignored.
◊◊ Unless otherwise instructed by the put into play effect, characters that enter play in this manner do so ready and at home. Non-character cards that enter play in this manner must do so in a play area or state that matches the rules of playing the card.
◊◊ When an event card is played, place it on the table, resolve its ability, and place the card in its owner’s discard pile.

So you must pay full cost to satisfy the costs of playing a card to activate her ability.  Using an ability from a card in play does not count either as you are not playing the card from hand or province.

Edited by Schmoozies
fixed formating issue

For funsies, current cards that can be played to activate her include: 
Walking the Way
Cloud the Mind
Benten's Touch
Kaito Kosori
Seeker of Knowledge

Of course, she's going to drop in a pack that should be themed around air cards, so there's likely going to be *something* in that pack that can also be used to trigger her ability.

35 minutes ago, HirumaShigure said:

I hope this doesn't mean Lion is getting a better cavalry character than a lot of the Unicorn has.

The ability seems to be:

Action: During a MIL conflict, if you are more honorable than your opponent, choose a (cavalry?) character you control - move that character to the conflict. 

Honestly, if the cavalry trait is not required, (and I’m inclined to say it’s not) I’d say this character is better than a lot of Unicorns. Imagine having Honored General or Ikoma Tsanuri in two conflicts per round...

Edited by Tabris2k

28 minutes ago, Swordbreaker said:

So the Crab get a Nezumi character, the Phoenix are getting a Ningyo card, and the Unicorn are getting a Naga character.

You can read a little bit of the magazine to the left, that seems to say that the pack linked to the Water element, The Ebb and the Flow, introduces new ancient* creatures of Rokugan, so I’m guessing every clan gets its own creature. Anybody dares to do a guess?

*”New Ancient”?! Really?! Who wrote that?!

Also in case anyone was wondering, that Lion character was Shono's betrothed. You know, before his mother Shinjo Altarleaver broke her marriage agreement. I'd bet she's even using a horse received as a gift during the betrothal/treaty process. How great to ride down a unicorn village with one of their own horses. 

2 hours ago, Kaito Kikaze said:

Also in case anyone was wondering, that Lion character was Shono's betrothed. You know, before his mother Shinjo Altarleaver broke her marriage agreement. I'd bet she's even using a horse received as a gift during the betrothal/treaty process. How great to ride down a unicorn village with one of their own horses. 

I think you mean Shinjo Altansar......nah.

That card has some sweet flavor for sure.  Jigoku hath no fury like a Matsu scorned......and now she has a horse and spear so look the Fu Leng out.

3 hours ago, Tabris2k said:

You can read a little bit of the magazine to the left, that seems to say that the pack linked to the Water element, The Ebb and the Flow, introduces new ancient* creatures of Rokugan, so I’m guessing every clan gets its own creature. Anybody dares to do a guess?

*”New Ancient”?! Really?! Who wrote that?!

"The Ancients are a relatively new group."

What're the odds of the Lion getting an actual living Kitsu?

I've added in the 5 new cards from the Magazine.

As for which creatures by clan -

Crab - Nezumi (known)

Crane - Kenku seems quite likely

Dragon - Zokujin kind of works, if they exist

Lion - A Kitsu would fit, but in the old story, they were all dead.

Phoenix - Ningyo (known)

Scorpion - Some sort of shapeshifter from Chikushudo or Sakkaku (Hengeyokai or Kappa perhaps?)

Unicorn - Naga (known)

A final side note is that the Tsukomogami is a spirit of an object, so may have something to do with item or weapon attachments?