Tonbo Karasu

Elemental Cycle & Scorpion Pack Spoilers

15 hours ago, Tonbo Karasu said:
16 hours ago, BayushiFugu said:

Breath of the Kami releases in a week and we still missing # 4, 5, 8, 10, 14, 16 & 20.

Yes, and I have no particular idea of what they are.

16 might be the Dragon Clan Ancestral thing (their equivalent of Ofushikai, which I'm hoping is part of a sequence).

If my guess for the Scorpion 5-cost is right, 10 could be Yogo Junzo.

Gotta leave SOME surprises, no?

Thanks for the heads up DrDevidents. Link for anyone who wants it: http://www.cardgamedb.com/index.php/legendofthe5rings/legend_of_the_five_rings/_/elemental-cycle/breath-of-the-k/

Of the non-spoiled cards, Hiruma Outpost and Maze of Illusion are the two that stand out to me. Formal Invitation seems nice, but I'm of the opinion that you should commit defenders or attackers with enough foresight that you don't have to expend cards to correct that decision later. If we start seeing more send-home effects then it'll be a cool counter, which is fine, but right now it seems more like an 'oops I underestimated my opponent' button.

1) More important is ability to make someone over commit because of the threat of the move, or exploit them under committing because they didn't know you had it.

2) It is also a harpoon which given how strong the Doji Challenger is should speak for itself.

5 minutes ago, AradonTemplar said:

Thanks for the heads up DrDevidents. Link for anyone who wants it: http://www.cardgamedb.com/index.php/legendofthe5rings/legend_of_the_five_rings/_/elemental-cycle/breath-of-the-k/

Of the non-spoiled cards, Hiruma Outpost and Maze of Illusion are the two that stand out to me. Formal Invitation seems nice, but I'm of the opinion that you should commit defenders or attackers with enough foresight that you don't have to expend cards to correct that decision later. If we start seeing more send-home effects then it'll be a cool counter, which is fine, but right now it seems more like an 'oops I underestimated my opponent' button.

Formal Invitation is more for crane harpooning than for moving their own bodies into the conflict.

1 minute ago, Hordeoverseer said:

Yes, maybe? Not as much as Maze of Illusion, which is like a random 50/50 Mirumoto's Fury on Steroids. 

It lets you go from bidding low during draw so you don't honor out, to setting your dial high in order to use some cards that need you to have a high bid.

2 hours ago, twinstarbmc said:

Formal Invitation is more for crane harpooning than for moving their own bodies into the conflict.

I disagree. Guest of honor, crane magistrate, the unique from the phoenix pack , yoshi and hotaru all do awesome things even if you move them into a conflict while bowed. 

Maze of Illusion should go in the restricted right away and I am not even joking .....

Maybe at some point I will write a rant, but right now I am too angry for that.

How can you design a card more frustrating than that ?

Edited by thorrk

32 minutes ago, chaosvt80 said:

I disagree. Guest of honor, crane magistrate, the unique from the phoenix pack , yoshi and hotaru all do awesome things even if you move them into a conflict while bowed. 

Guest has 1 Glory, and is likely almost entirely responsible for the restriction on the card.

I've just been checking some numbers.  We've had 11 Unicorn cards officially spoiled, plus Shahai.  Given the number of cards in the cycle and assuming an equal distribution (give or take Strongholds), there's no more than 14 cards per clan.

I think that they're going to keep the number of provinces equal per cycle, so the Unicorn Province is missing.  I think that there's also space at number 39 for a Unicorn conflict card.

4 hours ago, thorrk said:

Maze of Illusion should go in the restricted right away and I am not even joking .....

Dude, really? That’s your answer to every card you fell is too OP?

”Duty should be restricted before release”

”Maze of Illusion should go in the restricted right away”

[I’m gonna reserve this space for the next Scorpion card you don’t like]

At least, let them see some action before asking to ban them. 

Edited by Tabris2k

It's not a matter of power level, it's a matter of a card that will just turn any game of l5r in a complicated version of rock/papper/scissor, this card will have an extremely negative impact on how the game plays and that is why it should never been made.

The reason why I stopped playing Hearthstone or Magic is because I was fed up with all the RNG bull****, so far L5r was mostly preserved from unnecessary RNG that is why I loved it (excepted a few cards like kanjo bull**** but it's only one card).

I really really really hope the card is terrible so it won't see play, unfortunately they also made the mistake to make it an AIR spell and we all know what it means (looking at you

Kyūden Isawa and Isawa Uona).

Edited by thorrk

41 minutes ago, psychie said:

One important thing to point out, it's not a 50/50 choice, it's 60/40, 1, 3, and 5 are odd, 2 and 4 are even.

This is literally not true as the player choosing is basically also choosing between odd and even.

Maze of Illusion also being a cheap way to reset your honor dial is pretty important too.

FFG better carve out some more space on the restricted list for this one. I feel like the effect should have had some sort of positive effect for the character of the player guesses right.

Quick question:

What do you do when your opponent wants to flip a coin to see who wins?

Give him the finger!

#cwutididthere

Edited by Ishi Tonu

11 hours ago, AradonTemplar said:

Thanks for this.

All I can say is..............

What the fricken fudge farts!?

So let me get this straight, Crab get a 1 drop that can get a nice boost depending if they have the right ring.  So this is clearly going to be a little cycle that all the clans get, like the magistrates in the last expansion cycle.

So please explain to me how flying flop the Unicorn got stuck with a purple Eager Scout?  Seeing as this was the first cycle FFG had to make them better and that was a goal of theirs.  Who was the clown that said "Crab have been really succesful, I bet I we gave the Unicorn some cards similar to Crab it would help.......like Eager Scout"

Come on!

Edited by Ishi Tonu

How 'bout that new Scorpion 3 drop that makes you discard a conflict card every time you lose honor. What was Scorpion's specialty again? Wasn't it...making your opponent lose honor? 

Sad thing is, it might even be worth it to the Scorp DH mill deck to run Oracle of Stone just to make your opponent discard even faster.