-I'm perfectly happy with 6 packs in 6 weeks, even though I also agree that maybe one large pack would have been better.
-As a former Mantis main, I love the idea that the Mantis are now starting off as Neutral; it's great to see them as mercenaries who offer their services to any clan that will pay them.
-As far as flavor goes, I'm a lot more excited about the elemental theme than the Imperial theme of the previous cycle.  All in all, I'm pretty excited.
-I wonder who is getting a new stronghold?

12 hours ago, Barbacuo said:

Mantis as a neutral clan. Well, I guess that they can include their cards when they get a proper release. Anyway, I'm happy with them.

11 hours ago, Kubernes said:

Mantis and Ratlings are nice to see in printed form. I’m very interested in how FFG handles the minor clan and it’s rise to full status. 

Love the fact people are still thinking Mantis Clan as a faction is happening anytime soon.

The Nezumi's neat. Can't wait to use his ability to avoid breaking a Feast or Famine. His passive ability is currently useless since there are no maho effects and no shadowlands effects that target characters, so we'll probably see some of those this cycle.

The idea of actually paying for Feral Ningyo is laughable. Unless they come out with something that interacts with the Creature trait I suppose.

I like Phoenix's new Mantis shugenja. Abilities that make your opponent help you get them to 0 are always nice.

The Crane guy's ability is annoying but manageable and he's far enough below the Crane power curve that I doubt he'll see play outside of dedicated honor/dishonor decks.

I'm not sure if I like Upholding Authorities' +2 PS or not. Provinces your opponent doesn't want to attack for fear of breaking them are good, provinces your opponent generally doesn't need to worry about breaking are not. Although unlike Before the Throne its ability doesn't really have an hard counter so... maybe.

3 hours ago, cheapmate said:

So I have been doing it wrong the whole time I was playing this game just for fun?

As a mostly casual player, I like mixing it up, just to try things out.

You are having fun in the wrong way.

Jokes apart, I'm moving between communities from two cities, and I cannot find somebody that brings a non torunament-sanctioned deck. There may be people doing so, but they don't show up at tournaments or store games. And reading other people's comments, it the general trend.

3 hours ago, shineyorkboy said:

I'm not sure if I like Upholding Authorities' +2 PS or not. Provinces your opponent doesn't want to attack for fear of breaking them are good, provinces your opponent generally doesn't need to worry about breaking are not. Although unlike Before the Throne its ability doesn't really have an hard counter so... maybe.

One thing to consider is that it has two purposes.

For non-Earth role decks it is a fairly standard 3 PS with an on destruction interrupt.

For Earth role decks it is an alternative 5 PS with a much more widely applicable ability than the other 3 5 PS Earth provinces.

Glad to see some news for the future, but I am disappointed for the 6x6. I enjoyed much better the relatively slow evolution of the monthly releases.

There are some people saying they dont disagree with 6x6, but they dont like the gap bitween cycles... please consider that both things are connected for sure. The gap is probably a requirement of the previous 6x6 release, and its effect in design and development process

I dont know if this allows for a better balacing in card design, better production chain, or whatever. It would be nice to hear their point of view on the matter. 

As far as I know, I still dont like it. Yearly costs are similar to a monthly release chain, but for me the game experience is worse, as it is like a helter skelter in the meta.

I still wonder why this 6x6 is applied. From one hand if it is working better for the game, why does not FFG apply it for GoT, Netrunner and the other LCGs still running. On the other hand if it's not that good, why doing it in a first place... I'm happy with both personally , at the end I'll spend the same money but I don't get why they apply a different release schedule to L5R.

Back in the days I said I liked the 6x6 card release assuming they won't leave a giant gap of nothing right after. Which unsurprisingly they did... and now they are doing it again , the new cycle can come at any time from July to September. Which means we are going to wait between 3 to 6 month for new content after phoenix clan pack needless to say it's GIGANTIC. And who knows how long we will have to wait after that... This release schedule is terrible :(

I would much rather prefer one pack a month which would let you appreciate the metagame shift between each packs, and also a more regular reactivation of the community. Hopefully we will have clan packs more regulary because 1 clan pack every 6 month is just way too long, I would rather have 1 clan pack every month instead of the new cycle so every clan is on the same line.

The new cycle seems to be focusing on shugenja and spells which is a bit worrying, since we are getting the phoenix pack which is balanced as it is but could get out of control if FFG print more good shugenja and spells.

With that being said, I am happy they will give us new strongholds during the element cycle and the cards shown so far looks cool.

Edited by thorrk

Just now, thorrk said:

I would rather have 1 clan pack every month instead of the new cycle so every clan is on the same line.

The new cycle seems to be focusing on shugenja and spells which is a bit worrying, since we are getting the phoenix pack which is balanced as it is but could get out of control if FFG print more good shugenja and spells.

1 clan pack a month would be great. I still think 1 clan pack a week should have been the first release instead of the imperial cycle.

Is there any confirmation the new cycle is focusing on shugenja and spells?

It's impossible to please everyone.  I know in previous LCGs I've played community members were asking for this sort of release schedule because you get to explore the set all at once and then have a gap to see how the meta shakes out before the next incrimination.  I'd rather the monthly releases than the burst releases through the year because I think LCG players are a very insecure bunch mostly and they like the constant touch from the company.  They want the weekly hype articles and steady flow of product.  It reassures them that the game is healthy.  That's why I was originally opposed to the 6 in 6 format.  I sort of knew we were gonna get "sky is falling" level posts about the health of the game if they have a several month gap. 

Personally I could care less either way.  It's the same amount of purchases per year and both formats have their virtue.  I love the game and am not going anywhere.  I just think the monthly releases breed a less negative conversation online.  Also if they really want to adopt this sort of strategy then just release them all in one big box and make it easier for us.  I wonder if they are worried about the sticker shock for the price on that box, but that would certainly simplify things for players and retailers.  Also how much more exciting would it be to buy one giant box of cards for the cycle with a book of stories inside.

I think FFG could combat that negativity in the community by being more proactive in announcing their long term plans for the game (OP events, release formats etc) to set expectations.  Just say up front at release that L5R is going to have an exciting new release schedule instead of dumping 6 in 6 news right before the cycle hits and implying it's one time thing.  Then making us wait this long to find out the next cycle is 6 in 6 again.   That uncertainty is a bit of a road block for us trying to sell the game to new players in the store. 

Also I sure hope they do something like the faction intro packs for AGOT 2.0.  That would help immensely to try and sell the game to new players since it would be a single less intimidating purchase to help people break into the game.  After the next cycle hits it's going to be "a thing" to convince a casual who walks up to buy into the game.  In my experience after two cycles is where you start to see that financial barrier come up on LCGs, and it's tough to convince a new player that they don't need to buy everything.  If we had all the clan packs and an intro pack release then it would be great to say "buy the intro deck and play with us.  If you like it buy a core set and your clan pack to flesh out a deck".  We aren't there yet, but maybe some day.  That late game new player entry point was always a weak spot in the LCG model.

Also finally a Nezumi card.  Take that Nezumi haters :)  Also I like that Mantis, Maho and Shadowlands are all going to be features floating around in the card pool.  That's nice for players who liked those corners of the L5R universe.  I wonder if any other minor clans will make an appearance.  I love the flavor of Perfect Land Ethos.  Shinjo Shono is a swarm enabler, but it still feels like Unicorn need way more swarm enablers for that to be a thing.  I wonder if that's what we can expect in this cycle for that faction.

Edited by phillos

2 hours ago, RafaelNN said:

1 clan pack a month would be great. I still think 1 clan pack a week should have been the first release instead of the imperial cycle.

Is there any confirmation the new cycle is focusing on shugenja and spells?

In the pack descriptions, 5/6 packs focus on the elemental influence of a particular element on each of the clans, with many specific call outs to new Spells and Shugenja.  The last pack focuses on the Shadowlands.

As a very Olde Unicorn who started with the first L5R set ever, new Shono hurts my brain.

Shono after the Coup... after the Day of Thunder in the old game (about 3 RT years after first ed. release:) http://imperialassembly.com/oracle/#cardid=6940,#hashid=c8e4e70f93dfa5c85473fa3335971f3e,#cardcount=0

... just a wee lad.

Shono pre-Coup in the new game: Beast mode.

Also, Ratlings are for eating, not for scouting. *sigh*

Nezumi hater! :) Unicorn are so liberal with their diet.  As a Crab player I can't wait to flood my deck with Nezumi characters.  I suspect we'll only get the one card though.

Edited by phillos

45 minutes ago, phillos said:

Unicorn are so liberal with their diet.

“If it’s got four legs and isn’t a table, if it swims in the water and isn’t a boat, if it flies and it isn’t a kite—the Unicorn will eat it.” - Scorpion proverb.

I personally think FFG probably should have stretched out the release to 6-in-12 rather than 6-in-6, but I really don't see a reason to be so upset that people start crying doom and gloom over it.

23 hours ago, Duciris said:

First, I'm super excited and don't mind the 6x6 at all.

Second, this is a good point:

Third, as a counter to most of the hate I'm reading so far, I don't believe that the individual packs make up a good addition to the pool without the rest. 

Big pack vs 6x6...

big pack would be easier (and maybe cheaper), but if you would like to have some card twice (four time) From packs 2,3 but not From packs 1,4,5 and 6. That would be not so good with one big pack. 

Edited by Hannibal_pjv

54 minutes ago, Mangod said:

I personally think FFG probably should have stretched out the release to 6-in-12 rather than 6-in-6, but I really don't see a reason to be so upset that people start crying doom and gloom over it.

I like the 6-in-12 idea, longer period of release and gives everyone a solid week to work with new cards along with possible 'release matches' every other week to celebrate.