adding minor clans as neutrals should shake everything up nicely, and manipulating province strength seems to be a theme that will show up a bit considering more than one of the preview cards list it.

and the six x six may be alright considering there apparently only doing it 2x per year

Edited by CenterPoint
clarity

The only good feeling for me is the mere fact that a cycle is going to be release.

First and foremost. If you are using the same 6x6... Why not release ALL the cards in a single box? Why waste plastic and money in six different boxes with just a week delay, since you store the whole cycle in your warehouse from the beginning?

More role specific crap. If you could actually chose your role this would be awesome, and deck building more and more diverse. Right now is just unfun. And no, nobody is going to play other roles just for fun, people keep to what is competitive mandatory.

Mantis as a neutral clan. Well, I guess that they can include their cards when they get a proper release. Anyway, I'm happy with them.

I hope they release more neutral spells, but I don't think it's going to happen (having the second most shugenja populated clan, only can use one spell if phoenix not splashed).

Are we going to stick with the core strongholds for at least, another year?

Also, it's announced for the third quarter of the year...

Mantis and Ratlings are nice to see in printed form. I’m very interested in how FFG handles the minor clan and it’s rise to full status. 

Did I also see a potentially interesting Unicorn character? The world is coming to an end!

I'm on the 'six in six again?' pack here. Why? Third quarter also stands out. So we have about 9 months from Imperial to Elemental, with 1 clan pack in between. Is there some problem at FFG? This is starting to feel like there's some problem going on. 

It's not star wars, that's the problem.

3 minutes ago, BayushiFugu said:

Will be nice to see the five races; ratlings, ningyo, trolls, kitsu and zokujin (sp) being represented. Be nice to see a genku card for Crane though.

I know they are not from the original five (like ratling) but my bet is that we're gonna see spirits and naga, instead of some of those.

First, I'm super excited and don't mind the 6x6 at all.

Second, this is a good point:

46 minutes ago, Barbacuo said:

If you are using the same 6x6... Why not release ALL the cards in a single box? Why waste plastic and money in six different boxes with just a week delay, since you store the whole cycle in your warehouse from the beginning?

Third, as a counter to most of the hate I'm reading so far, I don't believe that the individual packs make up a good addition to the pool without the rest.  If they're going to start in July-Sep, I'm happy the whole cycle will be out and tested (in the meta) before Worlds.

Edited by Duciris

Just now, Duciris said:

First, I'm super excited and don't mind the 6x6 at all.  Second, this is a good point:

As a counter to most of the hate I'm reading so far, I don't believe that the individual packs make up a good addition to the pool without the rest.  If they're going to start in July-Sep, I'm happy the whole cycle will be out and tested (in the meta) before Worlds.

As has been said before, Dedicated players will just drop all their money and buy all 6 packs.  However casual players may just buy one or two, and it makes sense that the $10-15 x6 price point is more likely to sell than the single $60-90 price point of all together.  I hope there is some market research that shows this, and the people who browse this forum regularly are probably a vocal minority of their customer base.

Well, I'm not happy about 6 in 6, but I refuse to buy into the "sky in falling" mentality. I do agree that they should release them all at once in that case, but *shrug*. In the end I get the same number of cards, and the ones previewed look like they will be good for the game. 

The ratling already has a home in my crab deck, and everyone can be happy about Yoritomo!

52 minutes ago, Barbacuo said:

First and foremost. If you are using the same 6x6... Why not release ALL the cards in a single box? Why waste plastic and money in six different boxes with just a week delay, since you store the whole cycle in your warehouse from the beginning?

That was my first thougth, to . However with 6 packs, people can still budget to buy them in stages, which they couldn't do it it was one single SKU

52 minutes ago, Barbacuo said:

Are we going to stick with the core strongholds for at least, another year?

It seems like that. Phoenix was L5C08, and these are L5C09 to L5C14. May be we will get unaligned strongholds (Mantis, Shadowlands)?

7 minutes ago, DarwinsDog said:

The ratling already has a home in my crab deck, and everyone can be happy about Yoritomo!

You and I remember Budapest very differently.

But I am very happy the big guy is back. :)

1 minute ago, Mon no Oni said:

May be we will get unaligned strongholds (Mantis, Shadowlands)?

The 4chan rumor was that we will see the Mantis Box next.  Which, I would like to point out, has been pretty accurate so far.

In fact, there is more info in the invididual packs writeout:

Breath of the Kami

Harness the power of the Air with the Breath of the Kami Dynasty Pack for Legend of the Five Rings: The Card Game!

Enter the Elemental Cycle with three copies of twenty-new cards focusing on the most ephemeral element. Explore new Shugenja and Spells revolving around the Air element, a new stronghold, and the first Mantis character to enter the game with Breath of the Kami.

Tainted Lands

Become immovable with the Tainted Lands Dynasty Pack for Legend of the Five Rings: The Card Game.

Harness the power of the unshakeable earth with three copies of twenty new cards in the second Dynasty Pack of the Elemental Cycle. Tainted Lands introduces new cards for all seven clans focusing on their relationship with the earth. The pack also introduces a powerful, frightening new Shadowlands card.

The Fires Within

Let your passions burn with The Fires Within Dynasty Pack for Legend of the Five Rings: The Card Game.

Explore the raging element of Fire with three copies of twenty new cards in the third Dynasty Pack of the Elemental Cycle. New Shugenjas and Spells expand the power of the most explosive element, while the Mantis Clan continues to grow its ranks.

The Ebb and Flow

Be carried away by the Ebb and Flow Dynasty Pack for Legend of the Five Rings: The Card Game.

Flow like water with three copies of twenty new cards for Legend of the Five Rings: The Card Game. New Shugenja and spells enhance the power of the Water element, while various ancient creatures begin to enter the conflicts of Rokugan.

All and Nothing

Enter the Void with the All and Nothing Dynasty Pack for Legend of the Five Rings: The Card Game.

Enter nothingness and everything with three copies of twenty new cards in the fifth Dyansty Pack of the Elemental Cycle. New Shugenjas and Spells help you embrace the Void, while the Mantis continue to grow their ranks, and ancient creatures bring aid to the Great Clans.

Elements Unbound

Complete the Elemental Cycle with the Elements Unbound Dynasty Pack for Legend of the Five Rings: The Card Game.

Elements Unbound features three copies of twenty new cards that wrap up the themes of the Elemental Cycle. New Shugenja and Spells enhance the Great Clans, and ancient creatures and awakened Spirits enter the fray of conflicts in the Emerald Empire.

1 hour ago, LordBlunt said:

Perfect Land Ethos.... yet another card that Scorpion can abuse. Yay!!!! 

It looks to me like it is better as a counter to Scorpion, as it can fix all your guys they have dishonored. 

6x6 is a fine decision for me. Over six weeks or six months doesn't make much of a difference to me in the long run, and I'd honestly rather have the packs faster than slower. However, a Q3 release is pretty poor. We've had no real update except for a clan pack that most people aren't going to be interested in, or are only reluctantly interested in for one or two cards, and that's supposed to tide us over for almost a whole year? Not a great release schedule. We really needed to hear the launch of the next cycle for May, following the Phoenix Clan pack. Very disappointed.

Cards seem really neat, though. Find it odd that nezumi and naga are just 'creatures' rather than their racial types. Already see some things I want to do with several of those.

I don't care for the 6x6 simply because I enjoy a continuous, slow, methodical leak of spoilers to keep me interested.  It's felt pretty stale waiting for DotV.  That said, they won't lose money from me over it so what does my opinion matter?  I'll still greedily buy all the things.

I don't care to 6x6 either.

But I do care that Lion and Uni will continue in a super limited competitive deckbuilding place until these packs were released.. Phoenix pack will bring us nothing, and I hope the packs bring good cards to fix this cause it seems it will be focused on shugenjas and spells, and with this spoiled earth province focusing in bushis to use FGG (wich is the only real bushi theme strong card until now and in the actual meta already loosed a lot in strenght) seems worthless. My first thought is that 6 packs would definitely solve it but the imperial cycle didn't helped much some clans, even if we look at splash possibilities.

Being trapped in this meta with nothing new until 3/4 of the year is a little frustrating. 

Edited by L5RBr

6 in 6 is fine.  Its the large gaps of nothing in between that is problematic.  If we had more info on how these cycles and clan packs and deluxe expansions were all going to pan out it would be much appreciated, as it would likely quell some of the complaints.

I'm sure it will be fine, I'm just sick of the inevitable whine.  

More info please

While I really liked the first 6x6, I find myself a lot less keen on it likely being the business plan going forward. It feels as though it lurches rather than flows.

And the prospect of of not having all the clan packs for literally years feels crazy.

Will need to seriously think about stopping collecting now, but I’ll feel bad about it because I hyped so many people up about th game at launch last year :/

Slightly disappointed its not until Q3 . Maybe if its early July then may be all released in time for Gencon.  Though if its September maybe we will only get 6 packs and 1 clan pack a year, disappointing if so. Nice that they announced their intentions before the phoenix clan pack though as it give the opportunity to stop buying now before potentially wasting more money

2 hours ago, Necrogoat said:

At the moment there's nothing more important then the new SW Tabletop bull (gz on it, now we now absolute why you idiots lost the license in the great 40k: Conquest LCG, goob job), but yeah, that's FFG

Games Workshop yanked the IP.  It was probably not the majority fault of FFG on that front, since GW is notoriously bad about such things.  Brad Andres was one of the lead developers for Conquest and was free to work on L5R.