Dusty27

Realms of Terrinoth Shipping!!!!

9 minutes ago, Dusty27 said:

I was asking about the spells like do they have specific ones like Polymorph or Fireball with Stats and Descriptions for each?

You may be missing the point with GeneSys. Spells in this system are certainly more abstract than D&D, but they are designed that way to make it easier for players and GMs to be creative.

having said that, many NPCs that use magic have some “spell suggestions” in their stat blocks to save GMs making spells up on the fly.

7 minutes ago, Dusty27 said:

I was asking about the spells like do they have specific ones like Polymorph or Fireball with Stats and Descriptions for each?

I think you are misunderstanding how Genesys works. Why create a “fireball” spell when it’s already built into their system that you can do an Attack magic action with the Burn and Blast qualities (aka fireball)? Remember, this isn’t D&D, this is Genesys. Don’t expect a D&D-style spell list.

Just now, GM Hooly said:

You may be missing the point with GeneSys. Spells in this system are certainly more abstract than D&D, but they are designed that way to make it easier for players and GMs to be creative.

having said that, many NPCs that use magic have some “spell suggestions” in their stat blocks to save GMs making spells up on the fly.

Haha, beat me to it.

5 minutes ago, GM Hooly said:

FFG always seem to underestimate their print runs, but those sorts of orders need to be done months in advance. I’m hoping they do Terrinoth as a PDF to keep people satisfied in the meantime.

PDF will tide me over as I grab both.  (I GM from a digital screen most of the time so I can CTRL+F rules. lol)  They just need to release the bloody thing!  I most need Terrinoth for Alchemy and fleshing out some GM stuff.

3 minutes ago, ElderKoala said:

I try to avoid ordering direct from publishers or internet distributors if I can get it from my FLGS for obvious reasons.  But getting FFG.. or anything non-WOTC / Paizo.. in this area is a fight.  NetRunner was looked at like I was speaking some dark language that sought to undo the holy empire of MTG. lol.  EOTE went over well because they were still on D20 Saga.... O.O.  But yea.. uphill battle.  But I try!

It will always be an uphill battle to get recognition from products that are “bread and butter”. D&D is a brand most gamers recognise. All you can do is take the positive road and suggest they try GeneSys just once.

1 minute ago, Johan Marek Phoenix Knight said:

Oh, and GM Hooly, how are the Crafting rules? Are they fully comprehensive, including rules for creating magical items? 

I don’t think they are as comprehensive as say Special Modifications was for Edge of the Empire, but they are satisfactory for a beginning game.

3 minutes ago, GM Hooly said:

It will always be an uphill battle to get recognition from products that are “bread and butter”. D&D is a brand most gamers recognise. All you can do is take the positive road and suggest they try GeneSys just once.

My pitch point was:

"A Jedi, a mage, a USMC Infantry grunt and a local IT guy walk into a Tavern run by a drop dead gorgeous Red Head who you're pretty sure is a Succubi."

That got a ton of o.O? from everyone else that was in the shop but not playing with the trial group.

Just now, ElderKoala said:

My pitch point was:

"A Jedi, a mage, a USMC Infantry grunt and a local IT guy walk into a Tavern run by a drop dead gorgeous Red Head who you're pretty sure is a Succubi."

That got a ton of o.O? from everyone else that was in the shop but not playing with the trial group.

Psh, if they're not in, I am!

3 minutes ago, ElderKoala said:

My pitch point was:

That is gold!

Just now, GM Hooly said:

That is gold!

The gold point was when the bad guy in the tavern gets shot (or cut with a lightsaber / magic hole'd) and starts bleeding blue and his eyes wink out.  "You can have Replicants?!"  Bioroids, but yes.  "With mages?"  Sure.  "Where'd the jedi come from?  Homebrew?  "Nope.  Takes a little work, but EoTE stuff fits in easy enough."  OOOOOOOOH!  And then their wheels started grinding.

It isn't a deal-breaker for me either way, but I actually much prefer a freeform magic system over a selection of formulas that arbitrarily work while even slight alterations do not (and a general resource like Strain, Mana, Astral Points or Blood over an individual one (be that memorization or cool-downs) for each spell) as it makes magic feel like an actual natural force. But several popular character and plot archetypes rely on huge tomes to study for years in isolation or to perilously read out aloud with your nerdy friends, so it really depends on the setting.

Anyway, this made me realize that since they aren’t introducing a more traditional spell system (outside Runes), how exactly do Disciples, Mages and Primalists differ from the CRB's Priests, Wizards and Druids? Or Envoys, Scouts and Warriors from Socialites, Explorers and Soldiers for that matter? And since Scoundrel is the only career present in both books, is it identical or has it been adjusted? (Probably the former, but you never know; the latter wouldn't be the first time in the history of role-playing.)

3 hours ago, ElderKoala said:

My pitch point was:

You just made me realize that GeneSys would be perfect for running a game based on Mary Gentile's 'Grunts!' novel!

5 hours ago, DarthDude said:

Darn. According to my Store, the Terrinoth will be expected in June in Germany! :angry:

Well immigration to North America is always an option. But then you'd pay and wait more for all the awesome stuff produced in Europe! 

Edited by RedJediKnight
Typo

3 hours ago, DarthDude said:

Most of RPG books I buy come from North America anyways, so immigration is a valid option! :D

Right, I'm from Italy and we have the same problem.

Except for a couple of beautiful product (like Shintiara RPG) all RPG came from North America...

4 hours ago, Lord_Lele said:

Right, I'm from Italy and we have the same problem.

Except for a couple of beautiful product (like Shintiara RPG) all RPG came from North America...

And The One Ring :)

More questions for the lucky ones,...

What about the equipment ? There are new weapons ? New armor ? How many of them ? And non-combat gear?

Aside from gear, is there the typical list of products and servies to spend your "dungeon-earned" money ?? 

5 hours ago, Solkar77 said:

More questions for the lucky ones,...

What about the equipment ? There are new weapons ? New armor ? How many of them ? And non-combat gear?

Aside from gear, is there the typical list of products and servies to spend your "dungeon-earned" money ?? 

There is a good number of new weapons, 16 (if I counted correctly), though some odd omissions, like a short sword.  I really like what I see with the new weapons, though they seem to lack proper love for the sling, but they do better than most with it, I think.

Only two new armor sets, but I imagine that it would be difficult to come up with too many more that are different enough.

There's also a decent list of gear, perhaps a bit small, but it seems appropriate enough.  There is  a good number of potions that can be built upon for other ideas.

There is a small but quite sufficient list of services, including some that I at least don't recall seeing very much, like for hiring a torchbearer.

Finally, in case you want to know but didn't ask, there is a good list of magical items and item attachments, with room to expand in later books (I hope).

9 minutes ago, ElderKoala said:

If we're already out of 1st Prints, release the PDF already!  She's hungry and has players awaiting mass destruction upon her arrival!

I like this idea. Although I should be getting the actual book tomorrow one of my players was too late to place an order and I know he'd jump on the PDF if it was available.

Edited by yrtalien

Just now, yrtalien said:

I like this idea. Although I should be getting the actual book tomorrow one of my players was too late to place an order and I know he'd jump on the PDF if it was available.

I'm hoping to get mine tomorrow, but I'll see if it's the FLGS' shipment.  We ordered it in time, I just don't know if her distributor gets 1st Run deliveries.