Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
ElSuave

Katrina Ostrander is leaving FFG. What this means for L5R.

Recommended Posts

Katrina is basically the head lorekeeper for FFG. IMO she did a great job with the new L5R launch. She won't be at the helm anymore but it seems like she will still give some consulting services, though she will no longer have the final say in story direction. Sad news to see her go but it's great to see her move up in her career.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Kakita Shiro said:

Hope they promote from within.

Plot twist: they've hired Brian Michael Bendis.

Prepare for Toturi suddenly having been a Maho-Tsukai all along.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Kakita Shiro said:

Hope they promote from within.

I think it is more important whom they place as the storyhead, than where they came from.

 

49 minutes ago, Mangod said:

Plot twist: they've hired Brian Michael Bendis.

Prepare for Toturi suddenly having been a Maho-Tsukai all along.

Can I vote for Straczynski? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mangod said:

Plot twist: they've hired Brian Michael Bendis.

Prepare for Toturi suddenly having been a Maho-Tsukai all along.

Not to mention reams of cards that are just talking heads that aren't actually doing anything for 6 months and the rise of previously minor characters from other settings (I'm looking at you 7th Sea) that rise to become pivotal to the new story.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am sad to hear this news because ever since Katrina took the drivers seat it feels like FFG's lore has risen significantly in quality.  Also I've only heard great opinions about Katrina from the writers that have worked with her on FFG projects.  We still have a great stable of writers in the L5R writers circle.  I hope they can find someone just a capable to fill her position. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

/raises hand

I'll do it. Now which clan should I corrupt first.......hmmmm. Its too hard to decide, I'll just corrupt them all.

It wouldn't take 20 years for Shadowlands to win.  Not on my watch.  If you want an untainted Rokugan you're gonna have to earn it.

On topic, bummed to see Katrina go.  I feel like she had a good handle of the more and really enjoyed the direction she gave to the story.

Edited by Ishi Tonu

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Ishi Tonu said:

/raises hand

I'll do it. Now which clan should I corrupt first.......hmmmm. Its too hard to decide, I'll just corrupt them all.

It wouldn't take 20 years for Shadowlands to win.  Not on my watch.  If you want an untainted Rokugan you're gonna have to earn it.

Ummm, could we not have this guy write anything for lore? :D 

/raises hand

/raises both hands 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Coyote Walks said:

I think it is more important whom they place as the storyhead, than where they came from.

How likely is it that someone from outside the brand right now would be better than someone who has already written for L5R?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, phillos said:

I am sad to hear this news because ever since Katrina took the drivers seat it feels like FFG's lore has risen significantly in quality.  Also I've only heard great opinions about Katrina from the writers that have worked with her on FFG projects.  We still have a great stable of writers in the L5R writers circle.  I hope they can find someone just a capable to fill her position. 

I've very much enjoyed working with her, yeah. But as she said, she'll be freelancing with FFG for a while yet; she won't vanish right away! So that should help smooth out the transition.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Kakita Shiro said:

How likely is it that someone from outside the brand right now would be better than someone who has already written for L5R?

Reeeeeeeeeeally!?

(Challenge accepted!  Opening canofworms.exe)

So you would take whoever was responsible for Goddesses Part 4 over someone who has never written for AEG or FFG?

Edited by Coyote Walks
Correction: Part 4, not Part 2.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was excited today to hear about more L5R content coming out but then got bummed out by this news.

------

If only I lived in the US, I would try my hand at lorekeeper.  Yeah, that is the *one* thing stopping me...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I kind of wonder what this means for the direction and flavor of the RPG, too.

In a lot of the interviews the LCG focus on the concept of mono no aware and such appeared to be Katrina’s brain-child. I would assume there is a long term plan and direction for the LCG’s themes and story, but it will be interesting to see how and if this changes with a new person in charge.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So, somebody knows the name of that textbook company? I suppose if their building suddenly catches on fire, Katrina won’t be working there anymore and she’ll have to return to FFG. 

I mean, not that I am gonna do that, just telling the possibility is there. And if it happens, I want to state right now it wasn’t me, all right? I have an alibi, so stop asking!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think they're likely to lock-down Rian Johnson to take over the plot direction for L5R.

The basic premise:

Toturi goes missing (again), and a series of tournaments culminating at Worlds will determine which Clan's "seeker" will finally find Toturi. When the clan's eager seeker finally stumbles upon Toturi and hands him the Ancestral Sword of the Lion Clan, Toturi scoffs and throws it over his shoulder.  It turns out Toturi doesn't want to be found, and he rambles on and on about how the Void doesn't work the way everyone thinks it does and that the Void actively balances the four elements so that one can never be stronger than the other.  He then suckles green milk from the teat of a Naga as comedic-relief Nezumi Nuns keep having their stuff accidentally broken by the seeker.
 

Meanwhile, the opening scroll reveals to us that the Shadowlands have suddenly and without opposition taken over the Empire again.  The Great Clans are on the run, but some new Dark Scroll magic makes it impossible for the remaining heroes to escape through Void portals created by the Phoenix.  Eventually, after a pointless side quest that includes a chirpy kitsune fox taking out several armed guards by spitting koku coins at them, the entirety of Rokugan's armies is whittled down to just 14 Heroes, two from each Clan, who escape onto on old rickety kobune ship after a kiho-technique astral projection from Toturi's spirit buys them time to escape.


Then Rian Johnson quits and leaves the story's continuation in someone else's hands.

Edited by AllWingsStandyingBy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/4/2018 at 6:37 PM, Coyote Walks said:

Reeeeeeeeeeally!?

(Challenge accepted!  Opening canofworms.exe)

So you would take whoever was responsible for Goddesses Part 4 over someone who has never written for AEG or FFG?

After some consideration: yes, I would.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/6/2018 at 12:27 PM, AllWingsStandyingBy said:

I think they're likely to lock-down Rian Johnson to take over the plot direction for L5R.

The basic premise:

Toturi goes missing (again), and a series of tournaments culminating at Worlds will determine which Clan's "seeker" will finally find Toturi. When the clan's eager seeker finally stumbles upon Toturi and hands him the Ancestral Sword of the Lion Clan, Toturi scoffs and throws it over his shoulder.  It turns out Toturi doesn't want to be found, and he rambles on and on about how the Void doesn't work the way everyone thinks it does and that the Void actively balances the four elements so that one can never be stronger than the other.  He then suckles green milk from the teat of a Naga as comedic-relief Nezumi Nuns keep having their stuff accidentally broken by the seeker.
 

Meanwhile, the opening scroll reveals to us that the Shadowlands have suddenly and without opposition taken over the Empire again.  The Great Clans are on the run, but some new Dark Scroll magic makes it impossible for the remaining heroes to escape through Void portals created by the Phoenix.  Eventually, after a pointless side quest that includes a chirpy kitsune fox taking out several armed guards by spitting koku coins at them, the entirety of Rokugan's armies is whittled down to just 14 Heroes, two from each Clan, who escape onto on old rickety kobune ship after a kiho-technique astral projection from Toturi's spirit buys them time to escape.


Then Rian Johnson quits and leaves the story's continuation in someone else's hands.

every comment should be this comment...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...