JadinED

Wishlist for (reasonable) upgrade card effects

This thread is supposed to be a collection of upgrade card effects (with or without corresponding names) that we wish for in waves to come.

I’ll start with a simple one.

• Admiral Piett

Before a friendly ship’s Attack Step, it may choose to attack from only its front hull zone this round. If it does, it may add 1 red die to its attack pool.

This effect is similar to that of Admiral Ackbar’s, however, it doesn’t only strengthen attacks on ships. When Piett has his ship intensify forward firepower in the movie, he does it against squadrons…

Edited by JadinED

We were planning a Obi-wan in the local group. We figured the only thing he did in Canon consistently in ship to ship combat was shut down systems from within the target, like the tractor beams on the Death Star. So we had him as a boarding crew that discarded two non officer or team upgrades from the ship he boarded. We thought that would be a usable card beffiting his role. And kind of a pacifist Vader for the Rebels.

12 hours ago, ForceSensitive said:

We were planning a Obi-wan in the local group. We figured the only thing he did in Canon consistently in ship to ship combat was shut down systems from within the target, like the tractor beams on the Death Star. So we had him as a boarding crew that discarded two non officer or team upgrades from the ship he boarded. We thought that would be a usable card beffiting his role. And kind of a pacifist Vader for the Rebels.

Very nice.

An upgrade to simulate covert gameplay.

Double-slot upgrade
Offensive Retrofit / Title

Stealth Device
Small ship only.

At the start of the first round, you gain a Stealth Marker. At the start of each Command Phase, you may turn this marker to its active or inactive side. A ship with a Stealth Marker on its active side cannot activate squadrons, attack or be attacked.

Discard the Stealth Marker, when you end your movement or an enemy ship ends its movement at distance 1 of each other.

So far, only the Command Pelta, Hammerheads, GR-75s, Raiders and Gozantis could take this upgrade. On MC-30s, Yavaris and Demo, it would be way too powerful, I think.

The title slot should be used to prevent overpowered combos such as a Stealth Device on Instigator, Suppressor or Quantum Storm.

On the other hand, Toryn Far, Director Isard, Jamming Field, Slicer Tools become more powerful.

Of course, Raddus shenanigans also become even more viable, but only on ships with a maximum speed of three that cannot take Engine Techs or Quantum Storm.

Edited by JadinED

Ewok Barding Troopers - Rebel only, using the same slots as regular boarding troopers card.

At close range discard this card and a squadron token and roll a black die. On an <accuracy> remove the enemy ship from play as the plucky little blighters reach the reactor with their spears & rocks. On any other result nothing happens apart from a sickening body count around airlock 4 as even Stormtroopers can't miss in a corridor. 0 points.

Edited by Mad Cat

18 hours ago, Mad Cat said:

Ewok Barding Troopers - Rebel only, using the same slots as regular boarding troopers card.

At close range discard this card and a squadron token and roll a black die. On an <accuracy> remove the enemy ship from play as the plucky little blighters reach the reactor with their spears & rocks. On any other result nothing happens apart from a sickening body count around airlock 4 as even Stormtroopers can't miss in a corridor. 0 points.

A troupe of bards - Ewoks or not - are never really welcome at any airlock.

Perhaps I should rephrase my initial post...

I have the feeling that those who call for an ISD in Armada at least have a vaguely specific demand. Many people on our forum, however, just seem to call for the next wave for the elusive sake of unspecified novelty, as if anything new automatically improved the game we love. Anything. Whatever. At least something to voice off about. And then, there are of course the asinine whiners of the Armada Is Dead camp.

There will always be those who use the forum just to blather and prattle bullsh#t. But shouldn't we not also use our fan forum to collect good ideas and articulare reasonable wishes for the next waves? The two world champions, who helped create upgrade cards, can't be the only ones with sensible ideas that fit the core rules.

An A-Wing squadron which destroys any ship on impact is mildly funny, alright, but really doesn't fit Armada. A boarding troop of hairy bards who destroy any ship on entering is mildly funny, alright, but really doesn't fit Armada, either.

Basic core rules the game we love will most likely not be overhauled entirely anyway; otherwise the game would stop being Armada. Armada games aren't supposed to be 45 minutes long just because X-Wing games are. Legion's command system won't be implemented in Armada just because. Calling for basic core rule changes just because you never really liked those rules anyway is neither creative nor expedient... in my mind.

Let's not just demand an ISD and quarrel to death about whether a 3-foot model will suffice or a 27-foot model is really the only way to go. Let's be specific. How can the elongated base work in the distance-3 setup zone? Can the ISD always execute more than one command? How many fire archs could it have? Which new upgrade bar options wouldn't break the game?

Seriously, let's come up with ideas that fit Armada.

What is it that you hope for in waves to come. What specifically. Which upgrade card effects and squadron command options could reasonably improve the game?

1 hour ago, JadinED said:

Perhaps I should rephrase my initial post...

I have the feeling that those who call for an ISD in Armada at least have a vaguely specific demand. Many people on our forum, however, just seem to call for the next wave for the elusive sake of unspecified novelty, as if anything new automatically improved the game we love. Anything. Whatever. At least something to voice off about. And then, there are of course the asinine whiners of the Armada Is Dead camp.

There will always be those who use the forum just to blather and prattle bullsh#t. But shouldn't we not also use our fan forum to collect good ideas and articulare reasonable wishes for the next waves? The two world champions, who helped create upgrade cards, can't be the only ones with sensible ideas that fit the core rules.

An A-Wing squadron which destroys any ship on impact is mildly funny, alright, but really doesn't fit Armada. A boarding troop of hairy bards who destroy any ship on entering is mildly funny, alright, but really doesn't fit Armada, either.

Basic core rules the game we love will most likely not be overhauled entirely anyway; otherwise the game would stop being Armada. Armada games aren't supposed to be 45 minutes long just because X-Wing games are. Legion's command system won't be implemented in Armada just because. Calling for basic core rule changes just because you never really liked those rules anyway is neither creative nor expedient... in my mind.

Let's not just demand an ISD and quarrel to death about whether a 3-foot model will suffice or a 27-foot model is really the only way to go. Let's be specific. How can the elongated base work in the distance-3 setup zone? Can the ISD always execute more than one command? How many fire archs could it have? Which new upgrade bar options wouldn't break the game?

Seriously, let's come up with ideas that fit Armada.

What is it that you hope for in waves to come. What specifically. Which upgrade card effects and squadron command options could reasonably improve the game?

I assume ISD=SSD?

Also from experience trying to make a SSD work, it doesnt. Its either op or not a SSD, just a slightly different ISD with a larger base :/

In saying that,the SSD we designed had 2 large bases, at deployment you only put the first base on the board, then within the next couple of rounds of movement you could deploy the rear base and model.

Other notable ideas include

-having the SSD as a 6x3foot mat with xyz amount of immovable turrets that acted like the armed station but with different hull and weaponry, some cool scenario ideas could be made with this. Also a death star trench map :)

- having the SSD with 3 different hull bases, forward rear and bridge. Each has different firing arcs and health and upgrades (not a fan but)

Now my reflex take on a SSD has been said.....

People who call for anything - so what? Their supporting the game they love. So what if they dont have a specific demand, its not FFG are going to listen to them if they suddenly demand a Bulwark mk2 (gags) in the next wave are they?

Theyll take it into consideration for a wave down the track MAYBE but they have this next wave and probably the next 2 or 3 planned out and getting playtested and will continue to do so for a while longer.

Armada is dead- thats a long running tradition, people need to complain and not bottle it up.

Shrimp or squid - oh wait thats not mentioned, nvm.....

Calling for rules changes - ignore them, seriously cause i agree with you there, i mean if they want to house rule it and play different let them, im not going to draw attention to their  topics by commenting on them :P

Now what i hope for waves to come...

PREQUEL SHIPS!!!!!!!

I dont care about prequel characters or factions or new starter sets or any of that.

I want to look at the table and see Imp stars with a older venator and a victor class with ties. 

I want to see the ragtag rebels scavenging any ships they can find, the that venators and Arc 170s or various droid ships that are literally just floating around space having been shut down and deactivated.

C3P0, R2D2 (and chewie) - kinda prominent characters if going into the cinemas opening day of Rogue one was any indication.....

Rogue one Squadron pack! They dont HAVE to do anything incredibly new or different, but Uwings and a bunch of other SQDs would add variety to the game and new uniques!

Objectives. New. Please FFG.

An official fleetbuilder App, to show you care. This is nothing against any fleetbuilders that allready exist but official stuff would be nice.

More articles...... already bitched about it in another thread.........

No sequel trilogy stuff! I dont want to see kylos smug face on armada boards unless i get to take the model and beat it with a baseball bat! Oh and while i actually dont mind the designs of the resurgence class and the resistance ships, i do take offence to their stats. Another thread has that discussion as well.

More boarding trooper cards with damage over time effects! For example stormtroopers that cause 3 facedown damage cards over 3 rounds unless a repair token is used, etc

More commanders! Diversity IS appreciated! 

I feel an imperial presence behind me with a baseball bat so ill also say the imperials want small ships

(@E-Man720)

Oooh and a card pack, maybe $20 with 10random generic upgrades so we dont have to by 6 mc30s for 6 trc90s....

Edited by DrakonLord

A serious card suggestion.

A unique character squadron who's special rule is that it engages enemy squadrons within range 1 even if they are obscured.

Obviously Intel would still work against this fighter so it isn't too powerful.

It would allow it to go into heavily asteroided areas and lock down fighters hiding on obstacles or behind the corner of a ship's base. I was thinking it could go on a character TIE-Defender or Aggressor if FFG ever decide to give us more unique versions of the Squadron II or R&V packs. Slightly cheaper than Maarek Stele or IG-88 and having the same defence tokens, so 18-19 points maybe.

1 hour ago, DrakonLord said:

In saying that,the SSD we designed had 2 large bases, at deployment you only put the first base on the board, then within the next couple of rounds of movement you could deploy the rear base and model.

Wow! That's a great idea to allow the SSD to fly straight across the table if you choose to do so.

I had a neat idea for the whole A-wing suicide run thing....It's a double sided card...

"Intensify forward firepower!"

"While attacking a squadron, before you roll, you may add 3 black dice to the pool. If that attack fails to destroy the defender, before the attack ends, flip this card to the side "TOO LATE!!!"

"TOO LATE!!!"

"When this card is flipped to the side "TOO LATE" the owner of the defending squadron may choose to either force you to discard this card, or remove the defending squadron from play to inflict its starting hull value in face up damage cards. Once resolved flip this card to the side "Intensify forward firepower!"

While slightly less serious,  I still think it's a cool idea. 

As for my serious idea, it's a Han Solo commander upgrade, as follows:

General Han Solo (Non Unique)

Commander

0 points

"The unique squadron 'Han Solo' must be present in this fleet to equip this upgrade to any ship(s). The unique Squadron is treated as the flagship. The effects of this card cannot be used if Han Solo the unique squadron is destroyed or while set aside in any way. "

"During the ship phase, when it is your turn to activate, you may exhaust a copy of this card to activate 2 friendly unactivated squadrons instead of a ship. Squadrons activated this way may move and attack as if activated by a ship."

Increase the point value of "Han Solo" the unique squadron by 5 points per copy of this card in the fleet"

Deflector Alignment (defensive retro or support team generic version of Aspiration.) - “At the start of the first round you may move shields from one hull zone to another hull zone, up to a maximum value of 6. You cannot recover shields while any hull zone is greater than its printed shield value.”

Communications Relay (Fleet Support) “You cannot spend [Squadron] tokens to activate squadrons. When a friendly ship at close-medium range resolves a [squadron] command, that ship may activate 1 additional squadron at close range of this ship.”

Flak Burst (Ordnance) “You may spend a [Concentrate Fire] dial. Instead of performing any attacks this round, each squadron at distance 1-2 suffers 1 damage.”

More where that came from, but I have a day job. 

Edited by jmswood

8 hours ago, Darth Sanguis said:

As for my serious idea, it's a Han Solo commander upgrade, as follows:

General Han Solo (Non Unique)

Commander

0 points

"The unique squadron 'Han Solo' must be present in this fleet to equip this upgrade to any ship(s). The unique Squadron is treated as the flagship. The effects of this card cannot be used if Han Solo the unique squadron is destroyed or while set aside in any way. "

"During the ship phase, when it is your turn to activate, you may exhaust a copy of this card to activate 2 friendly unactivated squadrons instead of a ship. Squadrons activated this way may move and attack as if activated by a ship."

Increase the point value of "Han Solo" the unique squadron by 5 points per copy of this card in the fleet"

While I really like the idea of a card effect which activates squadrons during the Ship Phase a lot, I have five issues.

• In keeping with Armada's nomenclature, Commander Han Solo would just be called Han Solo. That's at least how Leia and Vader work. And since the squadron Han Solo is unique already, the non-unique Commander cards couldn't be taken in the first place.

• ‎According to the Armada rules, you only have one Commander and one flagship.

"A fleet cannot have more than one commander." "A ship with a commander equipped is a flagship." "A fleet must have one flagship and cannot have more than one."

But there is a solution. Let's just make it two cards.

Commander:
• Han Solo (~ 25 points)
Friendly ships may equip "Task Force Solo" title cards.

Title Card:
Task Force Solo (~ 3 points)
Non-Flotilla ships in fleet with the Commander card • Han Solo only.

During the Ship Phase, when it is your turn to activate, you may exhaust a copy of this card to activate 2 friendly unactivated squadrons instead of a ship. Squadrons activated this way may move and attack as if activated by a ship.

• It's not specified, which squadrons could be activated. Do they have to be at a certain distance from ships? If not, that would be REALLY powerful.

• I always thought that the Empire was the faction that has a hard time dealing with the numerous cheap activations of Alliance fleets. If one of the factions is in need of activating a large number of cheap squadrons (also for thematic reasons) it's the Empire.
If this activation rule were applied to the Empire, it could be limited to squadrons with "TIE" and a hull value of 3.

• Lastly, if such cards existed, fleets like this following one would be possible...

Name: Fleet with 12 Activations
Faction: Rebel
Commander: Han Solo

Hammerhead Torpedo Corvette (36)
• Han Solo (25)
Task Force Solo (3)
= 64 Points

Task Force Solo (3)
= 39 Points

Task Force Solo (3)
= 39 Points

Task Force Solo (3)
= 39 Points

Task Force Solo (3)
= 39 Points

Task Force Solo (3)
= 39 Points

Squadrons:
• 4 x X-wing Squadron (52)
• 8 x Y-wing Squadron (80)
= 132 Points

Total Points: 391

I'm actually not sure how I'd feel about this fleet...

Edited by JadinED

7 hours ago, jmswood said:

Deflector Alignment (defensive retro or support team generic version of Aspiration.) - “At the start of the first round you may move shields from one hull zone to another hull zone, up to a maximum value of 6. You cannot recover shields while any hull zone is greater than its printed shield value.”

Communications Relay (Fleet Support) “You cannot spend [Squadron] tokens to activate squadrons. When a friendly ship at close-medium range resolves a [squadron] command, that ship may activate 1 additional squadron at close range of this ship.”

Flak Burst (Ordnance) “You may spend a [Concentrate Fire] dial. Instead of performing any attacks this round, each squadron at distance 1-2 suffers 1 damage.”

More where that came from, but I have a day job. 

Nice ones.

11 hours ago, JadinED said:

Wow! That's a great idea to allow the SSD to fly straight across the table if you choose to do so.

I was looking at mels ssd, and my thoughts were for it to more or less be 2 ISDs on 2 large bases. It gets deployed normally using the front base (it is immune to the flying off the board rule until it is completely on the board) and it is manouvered from the rear base. I have an experimental card and base on my computer at home that I'll throw up later.

Keep in mind the base will need adjustment. As I don't know what gap between bases mels model allows for.

On 06/04/2018 at 9:57 AM, E-Man720 said:

I was looking at mels ssd, and my thoughts were for it to more or less be 2 ISDs on 2 large bases. It gets deployed normally using the front base (it is immune to the flying off the board rule until it is completely on the board) and it is manouvered from the rear base. I have an experimental card and base on my computer at home that I'll throw up later.

Keep in mind the base will need adjustment. As I don't know what gap between bases mels model allows for.

fNKL3YK.jpg

MNZUv06.jpg