Sign in to follow this  
Yisas8619

Help with a setting

Hi there folks.

A friend and I have been talking a while about creating a setting based on FF XII Ivalice and I have a few questions for the wise and experienced community. I have been thinking about making jobs like SW career specializations (including magic spells), is this a good idea or will it ruin the game? The second one is about weapons: Jobs tend to limit the weapon the character can use. Should I limit them too, creating a unique weapon of each type that the characters can upgrade and give them a unique skill for wielding it (like lightsabers in SW) or is this a bad idea? 

Thank you and sorry for my english.

First I think you might concentrate on race and culture. 

Do you have all 12 races fleshed out or do you plan to limit the number of races to choose from? 

Do you have a good idea of how each culture differs and how each affects the selection of classes, weapons and spells? 

Will you be using Mist and Runestones or something else? 

Will equipment be available according to region or will it be available everywhere?  I would put a little thought into those questions before making a conversion.  It can be a lot of work, but also rewarding. 

Hey thanks for answering. I have been thinking about letting players choose between 5 races only. Jobs will be limited by race, much like in FF Tactics Advanced. That's why I was thinking on making them like specs in SW. Mist and Runestones I'm still figuring out those. Equipment would be available everywhere but I was thinking that upgrades to the weapons and all that would be performed only in specific locations.

It isn't all too fleshed out as you say. Thanks for your help @Umbraldragon.

No problem, sometimes it helps to write down what you already know and then baby step your way to the other stuff.  Creating a campaign world is not easy, even when the background material is laid out for you.