Lendosan

Any new waves planned?

9 hours ago, AllWingsStandyingBy said:

I'd say be careful what you wish for, as I think it's darn close to a physical law of gaming that there is a strong inverse relationship between overall balance and speed of releases.  Gamesworkshop has been a monthly release schedule for a long while now, and 40k is often considered to the pinnacle of unbalanced miniature gaming (as per its own player base).  When GW relaunched Warhammer Fantasy, they dropped points cost entirely and basically deferred a bunch of the burden onto players themselves to figure out balanced match-ups.  With regards to FFG's Star Wars properties, I would say pretty confidently that Armada is its best balanced product (where "balance" = the % of available options that can be included in viable lists) and also has the slowest release schedule.  X-Wing, on the other hand, has pretty crummy overall balance (just look at the forums here to see the number of threads crying for nerfs, complaining of powercreep, etc.) and has typically had a release rate 2-3x higher than Armada.  I don't play Destiny, but my friends who do (or who did) dabble in it have complained about power combos and runaway archetypes, and it's got the fastest release schedule of all the current Star Wars games, I think.

This sums up exactly why I switched and play Armada now. I get the appeal of new ships but I hate how X-wing has so many new things added every wave that "shake-up" the meta by making broken ships more broken, exploit new combos and contribute to a small meta that (imho) isn't fun to play anymore. I like the idea of X-wing, but not Rebel Fat Turret (Ghost, Miranda, Rey, etc), which the game has more or less become.

So I'm fine with fewer releases and a more balanced meta game where one combo (afaik) isn't broken to the point of either being the top tier or what the top-tier is teched to beat.

Edited by impspy

I’m honestly unsure as to what the next wave will be. Nothing on the imperial side from Rogue One as yet, Rebels has wrapped now. Piett still MIA. And the Solo movie on the horizon...

As much as I’d like to see the Acclamator/Venator etc etc, I just can’t see FFG ‘going backwards’. At least in terms of release(s) from the source material.

I also hold no hope of seeing missing EU stuff in Armada- the Liberator class carrier from the Rebellion PC game for example. Which is weird because EU stuff seems to still pop up in Xwing (Assault Gunboat).

I am of two mindsets:

On one hand, I would prefer that instead of a new wave of ships, we get a Correllian-style release, with some new squadrons for Imperial/Reb II, and some new and different ship titles for older ships like the Neb-B, Raider and CR-90.

But my need for cool new ships says they should still release gunships for each side, and give Imps a Dreadnought while Rebs get an Assault Frigate Mk1.

Maybe instead of a gunship for each side, give the Rebs a Bra'tok gunship squadron, and spice htings up for the Imperials and give them something like a Corellian "Assassin" Corvette, as long as they could make it something different from a Raider.

23 minutes ago, ISD Avenger said:

How about a gunship flotilla for Rebs & new fighters for the empire. Create some asymmetry in the lists. 

Also, new titles/variant cards would be very welcome.

Rebels have 2 different ship models over the Imperials already!

28 minutes ago, TallGiraffe said:

Rebels have 2 different ship models over the Imperials already!

Fair point. That’s not to say that the empire is not missing some designs. Acclamator & Vindicator id live to see. As well as the Eclipse.

what about a broadside/Marauder release with special rules for missiles bombardment? or card-only release for rebels glads, impis CR90/nebs, etc...

as FFG said "if you saw it on screen, it will happen", there is a lot to release on rebel side on TLJ, much less for the imperial side, but Legends have it. Dreads and Carrack?

1 hour ago, gounour said:

as FFG said "if you saw it on screen, it will happen", there is a lot to release on rebel side on TLJ, much less for the imperial side, but Legends have it. Dreads and Carrack?

I hadn’t read that. That’s disappointing. Doesn’t hold out much hope for some EU designs that would mix things up nicely... ?

On 4/3/2018 at 12:07 PM, GrandAdmiralCrunch said:

There has been rumors and the cryptic “something big,” from FFG.

This may be heresy but I would love to see Armada Clone Wars.  In the Clone Wars you did have lots of ship to ship combat and some great designs.  The could have a ton of CIS ships and some good new ships for the Republic.  It would also be easy to reskin them for Imp and Rebel use.  I think it could add a lot.

Just my wishful thinking.  :)

Despite the fact that Imps got the Light Carrier as a squadron pusher, and then got the Cymoon refit for fleet command upgrades, I’m still holding out hope for a Venator.  It’s too awesome a ship to NOT show up in Armada, and some large ship variety (besides the paint job) on the Imperial side would be nice.

On 4/8/2018 at 10:21 AM, AegisGrimm said:

I am of two mindsets:

On one hand, I would prefer that instead of a new wave of ships, we get a Correllian-style release, with some new squadrons for Imperial/Reb II, and some new and different ship titles for older ships like the Neb-B, Raider and CR-90.

But my need for cool new ships says they should still release gunships for each side, and give Imps a Dreadnought while Rebs get an Assault Frigate Mk1.

Maybe instead of a gunship for each side, give the Rebs a Bra'tok gunship squadron, and spice htings up for the Imperials and give them something like a Corellian "Assassin" Corvette, as long as they could make it something different from a Raider.

Why not both?

Retrofits for ships and new aces for Squad II in a campaign box? 

New hybrid squad pack: it could include Resistance Bombers, U-Wings, and T70s X-Wings along with TIE/s, TIE/fo, etc. 

New type of flotilla with a focus on combat support? 

between all of the pictures and the flotilla FAQ I'm about as certain as I can get that rebels are getting the Bra'tok gunship (don't be silly, it's not going to be a squadron it will surely be a flotilla). I'm less sure about the imperials but I'd suspect that stupid radar dish whateverangle from the Solo movie. I don't "think" we'll see another rebel/imperial fighters pack but I wouldn't be surprised to see a set of new Rogue squadrons because, again, Solo. All of you fanboys get your tissues ready because you're about to get a beakie YT 1300 and I expect SO MANY threads about "#notmyfalcon" / "#Notmystarwars". 

3 hours ago, FatherTurin said:

Despite the fact that Imps got the Light Carrier as a squadron pusher, and then got the Cymoon refit for fleet command upgrades, I’m still holding out hope for a Venator.  It’s too awesome a ship to NOT show up in Armada, and some large ship variety (besides the paint job) on the Imperial side would be nice.

I actually think the Acclamator would serve a better function in game mechanic terms.

12 hours ago, dominosfleet said:

All of you fanboys get your tissues ready because you're about to get a beakie YT 1300 and I expect SO MANY threads about "#notmyfalcon" / "#Notmystarwars". 

I actually like it a lot more.

pls don't shoot me.

Apparently the beakie(y) bit is a shuttle though, according to the Lego version.

12 hours ago, ISD Avenger said:

I actually think the Acclamator would serve a better function in game mechanic terms.

Yeah, I love the Venator more than most, but I'm not sure how you would balance this.  It straight up one shots that Clanker frigate, and If it wasn't included, I would feel like it was missing something.

image.png.57368efe31e741077604979f911e9dc5.png

1 hour ago, Admiral Litje said:

Yeah, I love the Venator more than most, but I'm not sure how you would balance this.  It straight up one shots that Clanker frigate, and If it wasn't included, I would feel like it was missing something.

image.png.57368efe31e741077604979f911e9dc5.png

Supposedly that was a SPHT artillery vehicle in the hanger bay shooting.  (Those being land walkers with turbolasers from Geonosis in EP II.). That is actually not a ship gun.  You can see it does come out the hanger bay.

On 3.4.2018 at 7:08 PM, AllWingsStandyingBy said:

I'd say be careful what you wish for, as I think it's darn close to a physical law of gaming that there is a strong inverse relationship between overall balance and speed of releases.  Gamesworkshop has been a monthly release schedule for a long while now, and 40k is often considered to the pinnacle of unbalanced miniature gaming (as per its own player base).  When GW relaunched Warhammer Fantasy, they dropped points cost entirely and basically deferred a bunch of the burden onto players themselves to figure out balanced match-ups.  With regards to FFG's Star Wars properties, I would say pretty confidently that Armada is its best balanced product (where "balance" = the % of available options that can be included in viable lists) and also has the slowest release schedule.  X-Wing, on the other hand, has pretty crummy overall balance (just look at the forums here to see the number of threads crying for nerfs, complaining of powercreep, etc.) and has typically had a release rate 2-3x higher than Armada.  I don't play Destiny, but my friends who do (or who did) dabble in it have complained about power combos and runaway archetypes, and it's got the fastest release schedule of all the current Star Wars games, I think.

While you are right you should mention that 40k is in its heart a beer and pretzel system, its made for narrative or casual games in its heart and not for competitive gaming into which it is pushed because of its immense popularity. That and the fact that they have to balance 9 factions, each with more choices and upgradeoptions than all Armada or X-Wing factions combined also makes it the pinnacle of successfull balancing efforts. 

54 minutes ago, vadersson said:

Supposedly that was a SPHT artillery vehicle in the hanger bay shooting.  (Those being land walkers with turbolasers from Geonosis in EP II.). That is actually not a ship gun.  You can see it does come out the hanger bay.

See I would agree with this, but in Battlefront II it is quite clearly not a SPHT (at least I don't think it is).

maxresdefault.jpg

1 hour ago, DScipio said:

While you are right you should mention that 40k is in its heart a beer and pretzel system, its made for narrative or casual games in its heart and not for competitive gaming into which it is pushed because of its immense popularity. That and the fact that they have to balance 9 factions, each with more choices and upgradeoptions than all Armada or X-Wing factions combined also makes it the pinnacle of successfull balancing efforts. 

Ok.  I will give you that in 8th edition, once an army gets a Codex, they are usually ok and more or less balanced.  But there are some really bizarre choices made as well, and potentially unintended interactions between some armies getting absolute bonkers Lord of War choices and the ability to take advantage of the detachment designed to allow Imperial Knight players to still play the game.

The “pinnacle of successful balancing efforts”?  You clearly haven’t faced the Baneblade/Shadowsword/Stormlord/Lascannon heavy weapon squad insanity.  Or a spearhead of Dark Reapers loaded into wave serpents.  Or pre-smite nerf thousand sons.  Or Shield Captain spam.

8th Edition is far more balanced than 40k has ever been.  That doesn’t mean it’s the pinnacle of game balance.  Some things are still hideously overcosted, others are absurdly cheap.  Some factions lose admittedly broken combos (Tzeentch soup getting a -1 to hit bubble and army wide 4++) only to see another army get the SAME COMBO (Custodes got the aforementioned combo immediately after Tzeentch lost it).

I promise, I’m not salty.  I like 40k, it is a very fun game.  However, even GW itself has had a concerted push back towards organized play and tournaments, so even the comment that its only a beer and pretzels game (and yet is the most balanced game ever?) just doesn’t work.  Now, 40k does have to balance multiple factions, and they get a lot of credit for that.

Also, are you saying that each and every 40k faction has more options than all of X-Wing and Armada combined?  Because that’s just crazy talk.  Necrons (just as an example) have 36 base units (including special characters).  I’m not going to do the math on how may different options they have, but the Rebels in X-Wing have 20 distinct ships with at least 4 pilots each (except the scurg).  It all comes out to 99 individual pilots, some of which are unique and some of which are generic.  All before you add a single upgrade.  Necron Immortals have exactly 2 choices: how big is the unit, and which weapon out of 2 do you use.  An X-wing has 11 distinct pilots (for now), then a choice between 18-19 astromechs,  6 torpedos (7, but I’m not counting extra munitions), and 9 different modifications (that make sense or function on the X-Wing).  I’m really bad at math, but I think that’s 14,630 distinct builds for an X-Wing, before you go into the EPT options on the pilots who have that slot.  I don’t have time to figure that one out.  So actually, I think a single ship in X-Wing has more options than all of 40k combined.

I also now realize why X-Wing overwhelms my friends with ADD.

Sorry if this came off overly harsh or anything, wasn’t intended that way and just wanted to point out that 40k, while a fine game, shouldn’t be hailed as a game of pristine balance.

EDIT: I miscounted a few things (squad builder has one of the unreleased X-Wings listed).  There are currently 10 X-Wing Pilots, 4 of them can take EPTs.  There are 19 astromech choices, 7 torpedo choices, 9 mod choices, and 39 EPT choices.  I didn’t count extra munitions, the EPT droid, or a few mods that have no effect on the X-Wing.  I did include “empty” as a choice in each slot.  I got 193,914 different and distinct combinations.  On one ship, with relatively few upgrade slots.

EDIT 2: I worked out the effect of the EPT droid on the 5 pilots that can take him: another 12,285 options, for a total of 206,199 distinct X-Wing builds.

Edited by FatherTurin
More math that is probably wrong

2 hours ago, slasher956 said:

@FatherTurin trouble is.... how many of those 206,199 X-Wing builds are actually USED.....

Zero?

:P

Exactly as many as the number of Primaris Repulsors that hit the table.

But yeah, even if the upcoming fix makes the T-65 relevant, the VAST majority of those builds are trash.  Then again, it’s not like 40k is any stranger to monobuild armies.  My point was merely meant to refute the categorically false statement that any one army in 40k has more options than the entirety of X-Wing and Armada combined.

Armada would be a better parallel, especially using a good hull like the MC-75 or a Cymoon Refit as the base, but my statistics skills are seriously atrophied, I feel like the interplay of the Mod slot being spread over different upgrades in Armada makes it more difficult.

Yeah....I’m not doing this math right at all, unless 7.9 million possible combinations of an MC-75 Armored Cruiser sounds right to anyone.