Nyxen

Things you don't want to see in this game.

5 hours ago, BigKahuna said:

I don't know if it counts as "things I don't want", but I really hope that they don't over develop the game. 

One thing that happens to all of these miniature games is that they establish "core mechanics" and than design units that completely circumvent the point of those mechanics being the game.

Some examples from past games.

X-Wing:  A game about getting enemies into you firing arch and avoiding your opponents arch (Hidden & Tactical Movement).  All of it is today totally circumvented by 360 shooting ships and equipment.  The game is about dice manipulation.

Armada:  Capital ship combat focused a massive "big ship" tactics.  Totally circumvented by small "throw away" ships that do nothing but pad activation to allow manipulation of the squad game while totally avoiding capital ship combat.

This happens in other games as well.

Star Wars Destiny:  Having a mechanic like shields, then creating "unshockable" attacks that ignore shields.

To me personally you create a mechanic and than force players to deal with it through tactics, its lame to create a card or upgrade that says "oh that whole mechanic.. don't worry about it, this card eliminates it from the game".

I really hope they avoid this with Legion.

If they are serious about the miniature space then I hope they will avoid the route of the games you mentioned. Core mechanics seem solid and scalable.

I think a lot of the meta in the game will be involved in selecting and using your command hand. Frankly, the rest of the game is not too different from other mini games once you take out special dice.

21 minutes ago, draco193 said:

I think scale is again the issue for scum. In xwing and IA small bands of pirates making a hit or stealing supplies feels right. But when Darth Vader shows up on the battlefield with a contingent of troopers and walkers, it feels a bit forced that those pirates are going to stay and fight to the death.

Id prefer bounty hunters to just be neutral units. Hireable by both sides. Maybe a thematic restriction that Han and Boba can't be fielded together. 

I think the game at 800 points could easily have a scum faction that either can align with multiple factions, has lots of names characters who more expensive and flavorful or Troops they can be kited out to make up for lack of diversity or limited vehicle choices.

In general, I'd be okay suffering a few things I don't like as long as the things I really want show up too. After all, you can always refuse to buy or play something you think is stupid- but to never get expansions of your favorites (*cough Krennic and Death Troopers cough cough*) would mean not even having the choice to field them. (Yes, you could homebrew rules and use custom figures- but it's really not the same.)

That being said, I could do without Ewoks :P

1 hour ago, draco193 said:

I think scale is again the issue for scum. In xwing and IA small bands of pirates making a hit or stealing supplies feels right. But when Darth Vader shows up on the battlefield with a contingent of troopers and walkers, it feels a bit forced that those pirates are going to stay and fight to the death.

Pirates, smuggler cartels, slave drivers and so on have always played a huge role in Star Wars. In Legends some pirate factions had Imperial Star Destroyers in their Fleets or technology to capture Jedi Knights. Plus The Hutts, Corporate Sector and other "scum" factions control pretty huge parts of the Galaxy, it's not too hard to believe they could hold their own against a few squads of Stormtroopers and one or two AT-STs.

2 minutes ago, Bdolfos said:

Pirates, smuggler cartels, slave drivers and so on have always played a huge role in Star Wars. In Legends some pirate factions had Imperial Star Destroyers in their Fleets or technology to capture Jedi Knights. Plus The Hutts, Corporate Sector and other "scum" factions control pretty huge parts of the Galaxy, it's not too hard to believe they could hold their own against a few squads of Stormtroopers and one or two AT-STs.

I Completely agree on this. If they have the resources to put a Firespray and a couple of Y-wings in space they certainly have the resources for a repulsor tank and 5-6 squads of troops.

I don't understand people saying scum doesn't fit the scale of this game. It fits much better than X-wing (which I also think is fine).

9 minutes ago, Gorthaur25 said:

I Completely agree on this. If they have the resources to put a Firespray and a couple of Y-wings in space they certainly have the resources for a repulsor tank and 5-6 squads of troops.

I don't understand people saying scum doesn't fit the scale of this game. It fits much better than X-wing (which I also think is fine).

It sits more in the theme for me. I don't doubt several factions have the resources to provide for a battle.  It's that a large set piece battle just doesn't fit how most of these cartels would choose to operate. The risk of annihilation would I think drive most of the for profit figures out of wanting to stand and face a regular army. 

21 minutes ago, draco193 said:

It sits more in the theme for me. I don't doubt several factions have the resources to provide for a battle.  It's that a large set piece battle just doesn't fit how most of these cartels would choose to operate. The risk of annihilation would I think drive most of the for profit figures out of wanting to stand and face a regular army. 

A game of Legion is more of a skirmish than two big armies clashing.

Imperial raids on smugglers or pirates trying to steal an imperial/rebel payload probably happen everyday in the Star Wars Galaxy.

There's not a lot that I absolutely would not want to see in this game...  But, there are a few things that I doubt could be handled well, and could end up utterly dominating the game:

The Yuuzhong Vong would completely mess with the balance of the game, so should probably be well avoided.  Granted, their biggest strength wouldn't be as large of a factor right now, but still...

Jedi Troops could work well for a Command or Heavy unit, but absolutely should not be standard troop choices.  There's just too much that they could do to mess up the game for them to be standard troop choices.

Hm...  I think that really wraps up what I absolutely don't want to see in the game.  There's a lot more that I absolutely would love to see - particularly in regards to alternate play modes (for example, a 0-1/1-3/0-2/0-1 400 point setup on a 3x3 map would be perfect for the small scale skirmishes that Scum and Villainy would be well suited for), but that's a subject for another thread.

I don't want to see a full-on third faction.

That being said I would love to see unaligned units that could be included with either side, such as bounty hunters and mercenaries. If they did that they should also cap how many unaligned units can be included. 

No droids please, unless they are definitely combat based.

Other than that, I’m good with most anything.  Would love to see some themed sub-factions (Tusken Raiders, Jabba’s security force, Ewok raiding parties, Bespin police force)

Can we end this stupid scum argument. We already have a scum faction, they're called the Rebels. If you want to play a "scum" faction, go play X-Wing. Having only 3 factions will kill this game. Need to expand outside of this "scum is the only faction" box. I don't care if they stole anything or were "headaches" for the Empire, they still don't play a major role in the story. If you had to choose between the Empire or a pirate faction in a battle, I would take the Empire and the points. More than likely the said pirate faction would just flee without having to fight.

That being said, I don't want a scum faction. No one will play it if it gets run over by both the Empire and the true scum and is turned into the red headed step child. Harsh I know, but still should not be implemented. 

I don't want those Star Wars fans that ***** about everything and claim the OT is the best. The ones who claim Rey is a Mary Sue and JJ Abrams killed Star Wars. Community can make or break a game, and man, I just don't ******* care what your opinion is. Roll the dice and let me kill Vader. 

55 minutes ago, Bdolfos said:

A game of Legion is more of a skirmish than two big armies clashing.

Imperial raids on smugglers or pirates trying to steal an imperial/rebel payload probably happen everyday in the Star Wars Galaxy.

True. But that's what I've got IA for.   Legions theme seems to be more that this is an area of a larger battle. I know a lot of folks want the other factions, I just don't like them here. In XWing and IA I think they're perfect though. 

7 minutes ago, AintNoPoser said:

Can we end this stupid scum argument. We already have a scum faction, they're called the Rebels. If you want to play a "scum" faction, go play X-Wing. Having only 3 factions will kill this game. Need to expand outside of this "scum is the only faction" box. I don't care if they stole anything or were "headaches" for the Empire, they still don't play a major role in the story. If you had to choose between the Empire or a pirate faction in a battle, I would take the Empire and the points. More than likely the said pirate faction would just flee without having to fight.

That being said, I don't want a scum faction. No one will play it if it gets run over by both the Empire and the true scum and is turned into the red headed step child. Harsh I know, but still should not be implemented. 

It sounds more like, from your argument, Scum faction should not be implemented poorly.  Make them somewhat thematic, make them different in flavor and feel, and I'm down.

1 minute ago, Admiral Theia said:

It sounds more like, from your argument, Scum faction should not be implemented poorly.  Make them somewhat thematic, make them different in flavor and feel, and I'm down.

I just don't want to see them at all. I believe it would kill the game. 

1 minute ago, AintNoPoser said:

You said "having only three factions will kill this game."  Do you mean that it should stay two or be more than four?  Or do you think it should just stay at the two OT main armies?  I'm curious why you think it would kill the game.  Even if Scum were introduced, and even if it became a niche army, why do you think that would kill it?  Do you not think it could be implemented well?

9 minutes ago, AintNoPoser said:

If it's true that we'll get an expansion every month we're going to need more factions at some point. There are only so many different versions of Stormtroopers they can release until people stop buying them.

Only two options FFG is going to have then is making new units significantly better than old ones or releasing more factions (btw I don't care if it's scum or prequels or whatever).

Edited by Bdolfos

Just now, Admiral Theia said:

You said "having only three factions will kill this game."  Do you mean that it should stay two or be more than four?  Or do you think it should just stay at the two OT main armies?  I'm curious why you think it would kill the game.  Even if Scum were introduced, and even if it became a niche army, why do you think that would kill it?  Do you not think it could be implemented well?

4 would be good. In my opinion, the Clone War era is probably the only one I can see that would market well. The Republic had plenty of toys. They don't have to replicate the stormtrooper armor and can go with Phase 1 armor. The CIS has multiple vehicles and "troops" that would be fun to paint and roll out. Now they can't do the FO/Resistance currently, just because there's not enough out there to distinguish between troops with out repainting the Rebellion. 

Scum would kill the game purely because there isn't enough. There aren't enough iconic "heroes" for the scum. Also, it was very rare for them to team up. If you want a scum faction, better include Maul as a commander. Can't put in the Mandos because they were their own group. It's just a very wishy washy group that wouldn't do much or put up much of a fight. I purely play Imperials in all games, and I would hate to smash a "scum" player. It wouldn't feel good to me and I wouldn't have fun, and I know they wouldn't. To me, the scum faction is a pandering for money from FFG. 

15 hours ago, Nyxen said:

C3-PO+R2-D2: this is a ground combat, not a tactical espionage game. We don't need random droids wandering about the battlefield hacking terminals for intel or whatever they do in every other game they're in.

6 hours ago, Corver said:

Actually I use IA C3P0 and R2D2...as objective markers! they work great becasue they are the droids that everyone is looking for

I would love to actually see them in this game but as an Objective, as a single miniature and they could have been included in the Objectives Add-on pack releasing along with the Barricades. They could replace that one unique looking crate and include the "Dynamic Duo" of Star Wars.

I DO NOT want to see a Scum and Villainy faction unless they come with their own set of Mission cards so that the Rebels or the Empire can go against them and not ruin the immersion of the game. I don't want Mandalorians replacing the Empire simply because the figures exist in the game.

Lastly but not least I agree with POWER CREEP. It is an annoying game breaker and a complete turn off.

On another note what I do want to see is Wedge Antilles with a squad of X-Wing pilots. They are the "Rock Stars" of the Original Trilogy also a squad of Imperial Pilots.