Nyxen

Things you don't want to see in this game.

So we're all excited by the things FFG could release for Legion, but the more I think about it, the more I think about the things that would really bother me if it were to exist. My short list

C3-PO+R2-D2: this is a ground combat, not a tactical espionage game. We don't need random droids wandering about the battlefield hacking terminals for intel or whatever they do in every other game they're in.

Scum & Villiany: I can see Boba as a special forces option for the empire, but a full faction of things that <20% of people playing will recognize is part of what's killing X-Wing.

Non- Command Card Fighter Support: I feel like the command cards that have been spoiled for Leia and Veers are a great way to solve the issue of heavy artillery/ other off board support. Why add even more complexity.

What are a few things you'd like FFG to avoid?

Disagree that scum is killing xwing, especially when they’re not even anywhere near the top performers.

That said, I don’t think they’d make much sense in Legion.

i don’t want to see an excess of unique characters where it’s all named units or mostly so with some troops thrown in. 

23 minutes ago, Nyxen said:

So we're all excited by the things FFG could release for Legion, but the more I think about it, the more I think about the things that would really bother me if it were to exist. My short list

C3-PO+R2-D2: this is a ground combat, not a tactical espionage game. We don't need random droids wandering about the battlefield hacking terminals for intel or whatever they do in every other game they're in.

Scum & Villiany: I can see Boba as a special forces option for the empire, but a full faction of things that <20% of people playing will recognize is part of what's killing X-Wing.

Non- Command Card Fighter Support: I feel like the command cards that have been spoiled for Leia and Veers are a great way to solve the issue of heavy artillery/ other off board support. Why add even more complexity.

What are a few things you'd like FFG to avoid?

What's killing X-wing is the stupid combos that are auto-win and a 25page FAQ to rewrite the game.  If they take their time to make the rules of Legion consistent and logical and easy to follow, they can put flying pink elephants in the game and people will still play it. X-wing sucks because the game isn't fun anymore and everything they make now is less about flying a spaceship and more about collecting the right amount of upgrade cards.

10 minutes ago, buckero0 said:

What's killing X-wing is the stupid combos that are auto-win and a 25page FAQ to rewrite the game.  If they take their time to make the rules of Legion consistent and logical and easy to follow, they can put flying pink elephants in the game and people will still play it. X-wing sucks because the game isn't fun anymore and everything they make now is less about flying a spaceship and more about collecting the right amount of upgrade cards.

... only like six-ish (there are seven pages with rules changes, but part of the sixth is what passes for tournament floor rules by FFG's standards) pages of the FAQ rewrite the game. Most of it is just clarifying things because the average player is not a good technical reader (Well, it might be a little higher because FFG is not good at technical writing either and occasionally decides that cards do not do what they say they do).

1 hour ago, ScummyRebel said:

Disagree that scum is killing xwing, especially when they’re not even anywhere near the top performers.

That said, I don’t think they’d make much sense in Legion.

i don’t want to see an excess of unique characters where it’s all named units or mostly so with some troops thrown in. 

I think the opportunity for many factions is much larger then x-wing armada. Given the current design it feels like vehicles will be integral but secondary to troops. I can see a lot of cool armies of sub-factions like a droid army, mandalorians, a Saw Guerra rebel sub faction.

I don't know if it counts as "things I don't want", but I really hope that they don't over develop the game. 

One thing that happens to all of these miniature games is that they establish "core mechanics" and than design units that completely circumvent the point of those mechanics being the game.

Some examples from past games.

X-Wing:  A game about getting enemies into you firing arch and avoiding your opponents arch (Hidden & Tactical Movement).  All of it is today totally circumvented by 360 shooting ships and equipment.  The game is about dice manipulation.

Armada:  Capital ship combat focused a massive "big ship" tactics.  Totally circumvented by small "throw away" ships that do nothing but pad activation to allow manipulation of the squad game while totally avoiding capital ship combat.

This happens in other games as well.

Star Wars Destiny:  Having a mechanic like shields, then creating "unshockable" attacks that ignore shields.

To me personally you create a mechanic and than force players to deal with it through tactics, its lame to create a card or upgrade that says "oh that whole mechanic.. don't worry about it, this card eliminates it from the game".

I really hope they avoid this with Legion.

Agreed that I REALLY dont want to see Boba Fett added to the game just as an Imperial add in such as Spec forces or Commander.

Think it would be a really poor move.

The scope for him and others is huge away from him tagged on as an Imperial.

2 hours ago, VAYASAN said:

Agreed that I REALLY dont want to see Boba Fett added to the game just as an Imperial add in such as Spec forces or Commander.

Think it would be a really poor move.

The scope for him and others is huge away from him tagged on as an Imperial.

Could it not be possible for certain characters to appear in multiple factions? Boba in xwing for instance.

Maybe a whole neutral pool is the better choice. That doesn't preclude Boba or others from having a specific Imperial or Rebel version. Agent Kallus comes to mind.

I think scale is again the issue for scum. In xwing and IA small bands of pirates making a hit or stealing supplies feels right. But when Darth Vader shows up on the battlefield with a contingent of troopers and walkers, it feels a bit forced that those pirates are going to stay and fight to the death.

Id prefer bounty hunters to just be neutral units. Hireable by both sides. Maybe a thematic restriction that Han and Boba can't be fielded together.