Sign in to follow this  
Tyberius_Deangelo

Starting a Star Wars Campaign with Friends

In the coming weeks a few friends of mine are going to try the Star Wars FFG version of the RPG for the first time.  I am starting them off on the Edge of the Empire Beginner Game and move them forward from their.  The campaign I have in mind is set roughly five years after Episode III with the newly formed Galactic Empire still trying to consolidate its hold over a war torn and ravaged galaxy following the end of the Clone Wars and the Jedi Purge with Order 66.  I need some help coming up with various story threads that would in a realistic way describe how the Galactic Empire would begin to rebuild the galaxy while at the same time begin to extend its hold over the galaxy.  Some story ideas I have are the Empire sending relief packages to devastated world but the packs have stipulations placed on it to receive additional aid...... can you all help me out?

Sounds like you're starting in the right place, with a good premise for the campaign:  relief packages come with troops, infrastructure, and bureaucracy, to make sure the goods aren't stolen and are distributed "fairly".  You might find some good ideas for this kind of thing in the Ahsoka novel, and also the Rebels show in general.  Also, the prequel novel to Rogue One has some good locations and reasons for Imperial expansion as Jyn tries to flee Imperial expansion only to find it catches up with her.  And you can always look to real life, eg:  how oil companies promise infrastructure in exchange for the vast majority of revenue from the resources, paying off strongmen to keep everything running smoothly.

You might need to decide right off whether you want a more OT-style game, or a Rebels-style game.  In the OT, all local ties are destroyed:  "There's nothing for me here now, I want to come with you and learn the ways of the Force like my father."  From an RPG perspective, this means the PC is free to do whatever they want, but it also can mean a more sandbox approach:  do this mission here, then run off and save those people over there...and the only thing that ties the PCs together is their common history, and maybe some free-roaming nemesis who keeps making trouble.

Rebels is a bit different in that, while the PCs are technically free to go anywhere, their loyalties are more local, and eventually everything revolves around saving that locality.  This could mean less of a sandbox approach, and more of an "each episode propels the story" approach.

Either way works, just depends on what your goals are.

1 hour ago, whafrog said:

Also, the prequel novel to Rogue One has some good locations and reasons for Imperial expansion as Jyn tries to flee Imperial expansion only to find it catches up with her.

Just wanted to clarify (since there are two Rogue One prequel novels) that for these ideas, it sounds like you're referring to Rebel Rising, as opposed to Catalyst. :) Early chapters of Lost Stars might also be beneficial along these lines.

During this time it is also possible that some Separatist loyalists are still at large.  The Galactic Empire would be hunting them down and bringing them to heel as well. 

Droid resentment would be at an all time high. 

Millions of clone troopers would be in the process of receiving discharges from the Military in favour of human Storm troopers.  What are they doing?  How did the Galactic Empire handle that process?

3 hours ago, zsavk said:

Millions of clone troopers would be in the process of receiving discharges from the Military in favour of human Storm troopers.

Would they tho? The Empire, being a bunch of Richards, I imagine that they would use up the clone troopers until they died or were too old to be of use and discard them. Discharge? More like discard.

Every military asset the Republic had or used needs to be replaced or taken over. Factories, outposts, shipyards, listening posts, etc. Ships and other materiel need to be built. Know-how needs to be secured (as Rogue One illustrated). Wars are won and empires are built by bean counters as much as generals - heck, some of the best generals were bean counters. Logistics and financing, those are key. Where is the money coming from and how are resources getting to where they are needed, those are the questions the builders of the new Empire are asking themselves. Some planets get rebuilt, others get stripped of their resources and abandoned. Governors, particularly in the Outer Rim, will possibly have to come to an understanding with local (criminal) organisations - look at the Hutts. Stormtroopers, heavy materiel or ships may not be available for years in remote locations, so mercenaries may have to be hired.

19 hours ago, Desslok said:

Would they tho? The Empire, being a bunch of Richards, I imagine that they would use up the clone troopers until they died or were too old to be of use and discard them. Discharge? More like discard.

This is referenced in Rebels.  They decommissioned them, but were also ready to offer training positions to those who would turn in rebels...

I have thought about running a story arc that explains why the Empire turned away from clone troops and developed stormtroopers.  Why turn away from a soldier that is pretty accurate in their shooting and go to guys that can't hit the broad side of a barn door like in Rebels and the OT.

5 minutes ago, Tyberius_Deangelo said:

I have thought about running a story arc that explains why the Empire turned away from clone troops and developed stormtroopers.  Why turn away from a soldier that is pretty accurate in their shooting and go to guys that can't hit the broad side of a barn door like in Rebels and the OT.

For many of the same reasons any military does any big personnel change.  The big one being money.  Clones are aging rapidly and the healthcare costs are going to begin to skyrocket.  It's cheaper to train a bunch of fresh recruits that you can field after a year of training vice a clone that takes 10 years to grow and train.  Plus their effectiveness will drop quickly as their age increases.  Also, consider that the empire isn't fighting a full blown war anymore.  They don't need a highly trained army.  They need a paramilitary police force.  Something to keep the citizens in line and quell the occasional uprising and civil disturbance.  A bunch of throwaway storm troopers are much more cost effective than clones.

I know it's the big joke that storm troopers can't hit the broad side of a barn, but in reality they were pretty accurate.  Our heroes just have plot armor.  The movies and shows wouldn't get very far if they dropped 2 minutes in.

7 minutes ago, Ahrimon said:

For many of the same reasons any military does any big personnel change.  The big one being money.  Clones are aging rapidly and the healthcare costs are going to begin to skyrocket.  It's cheaper to train a bunch of fresh recruits that you can field after a year of training vice a clone that takes 10 years to grow and train.  Plus their effectiveness will drop quickly as their age increases.  Also, consider that the empire isn't fighting a full blown war anymore.  They don't need a highly trained army.  They need a paramilitary police force.  Something to keep the citizens in line and quell the occasional uprising and civil disturbance.  A bunch of throwaway storm troopers are much more cost effective than clones.

I know it's the big joke that storm troopers can't hit the broad side of a barn, but in reality they were pretty accurate.  Our heroes just have plot armor.  The movies and shows wouldn't get very far if they dropped 2 minutes in.

At what point in the time line would the Empire start moving away from using clone troopers and developing Stormtroopers?  I am setting this campaign 5 years after Episode III so the clones would have to be around 8 years old?????

The clones took 10 years to grow and prepare for combat.  Making them approximately 20 years old when matured.  It has also been hinted (In Rebels and even in the prequels themselves) that they age roughly twice as fast as humans.

So tack 8 or 10 years on to your clones and they would be 36-40 in your timeline.  Well past prime age for front line duty.  Id have clones at that time leading and training Stormtroopers.  Or being military aides to younger officers.  Perhaps CompForce assault troops.   But mostly they would be discharged and living in poverty or on veteran retirement planets.  It would probably be a major social issue of the time.  

23 minutes ago, Tyberius_Deangelo said:

At what point in the time line would the Empire start moving away from using clone troopers and developing Stormtroopers?  I am setting this campaign 5 years after Episode III so the clones would have to be around 8 years old?????

Like Zsavk said, I wouldn't expect to many clones in service past 10 years post war.  The ones after that would be in the support and training roles.  Now, someone who has had the advantage of conditioning and top medical care their whole lives will stay physically more viable, but the body will slow down.  There's a big reason that the military focuses on the bulk of their forces being the young <10 year troops in the 18 to 30 year range.  After that more of those that stuck around fill support and training roles.  There are always some that stay in the field their full 20 years, but it's the exception rather than the rule.

If you figured a newly delivered clone who saw about a year of combat would be the equivalent of 22 years old at the end of the war.  Add in another 8 years post war, 16 years of aging and they're physically 36 years old.  Not decrepit by any means, but still the majority of them would be used to train the new recruits or act as squad leaders for the younger troops.  But they wouldn't be able to keep up for much longer.

Also consider what the clones represent.  The clones were soldiers, representatives of war.  Now that the war is over, the people don't want to be reminded of it.  The general populace would probably feel more comfortable believing that the clones had been retired and that their brave citizens have now taken up the mantle of defending the empire.

7 hours ago, Tyberius_Deangelo said:

I have thought about running a story arc that explains why the Empire turned away from clone troops and developed stormtroopers. 

My headcannon? That the Stormtroopers are still clones. Why? All based on the Star Wars Poster Magazine from 1978 (or there abouts), where Stormtroopers are called out specifically as clones. It makes sense, given that Palpatine is a Richard and it seems perfectly in character to create live beings just to be his playthings just for kicks.

7 hours ago, Tyberius_Deangelo said:

Why turn away from a soldier that is pretty accurate in their shooting and go to guys that can't hit the broad side of a barn door like in Rebels and the OT.

hqdefault.jpg

Stormtroopers are not terrible shots. They took a fortified rebel position through a choke-point with very few losses. They curb-stomped the Rebels on Hoth. One jumped out of cover and pulled a shot from the hip from 50 feet away, hitting Leia. Kenobi calls out their blaster fire against the Jawas as precise. They were holding their own on Endor until they broke up until smaller units and perused the enemy into the woods.

Edited by Desslok

On 4/2/2018 at 5:31 PM, zsavk said:

Millions of clone troopers would be in the process of receiving discharges from the Military in favour of human Storm troopers.  What are they doing?  How did the Galactic Empire handle that process?

I don’t think the Empire cares very much about what happens with clones. Bit of paperwork and send them off. They probably are barely considered citizens - they are genetically engineered, vat-grown beings which have been given a hyperfocused training and were sold for money. They’re a commodity. Objectively speaking, the only difference between slaves and clones is that the clones have had their role imprinted on them so thoroughly they don’t even think about their own wants or needs beyond serving as soldiers. Decommissioned clones are probably like real life veterans who feel lost in civilian life, but much, much worse.

That said, 40, 45 or even 50 (regular) age - so 20-25 for a clone - is not too old for service in this case. Jango was chosen because he was exceptional and the lesser clones never made it out of training. The medical facilities and care are better too. I’d take a 25-year old clone over a 25-year old regular human soldier every time. 

20 hours ago, Tyberius_Deangelo said:

Up to you and the campaign you run.

For reference, in Canon, Clone Troopers were almost completely phased out 1 year after the end of the Clone Wars. This is pointed out in the Ahsoka novel.

21 hours ago, Tyberius_Deangelo said:

Personally I wouldn't sweat this too much.  These background details seem kind of incidental, and canon doesn't matter, no one will care if you stick to it.  The galaxy is big enough to have weirdnesses and leftovers all over the place.  In Rebels they come across a droid army, cut off from the rest of the galaxy, who still thinks the war is going on.  Maybe there are clone holdouts as well, like those Japanese soldiers stuck on the Pacific islands who were still fighting WW2 thirty years after it was over.

So make it your own.  You'll get more mileage out of your story if you spend more time on PC connections (NPCs and other relationships) than trying to flesh out all the background details...the latter is an infinite task, and trust me, no one will appreciate it (he said, speaking from experience...).

That's an idea for a scenario: An Imperial governor goes against the official edict and utilizes a large army of clones to police their sector. While they need extra resources to keep running, the sheer firepower and military prowess is worth it. Soon the governor tries to break ties with the Empire and become a warlord of the region.