Karneck

Anyone else buying into the new "BattleTech" and MechWarrior 5?

I have always held a soft spot for BattleTech, I love me some stompy stompy pewpew.

Anyone else picking up the new game(s)? I've got BattleTech preordered on steam.

Edited by Karneck

12 hours ago, Karneck said:

I have always held a soft spot for BattleTech, I love me some stompy stompy pewpew.

Anyone else picking up the new game(s)? I've got BattleTech preordered on steam.

I kickstated the game, and am looking forward to later this year the two new starter boxes for Battletech.

I'm pretty hype for the entire franchise this year - I grew up playing the Mechwarrior games, and only later learned of the tabletop game.

The Battletech PC game looks fantastic and I eagerly await my backer key, Mechwarrior 5 looks fantastic, and the new starter sets for the TT game look fantastic. It'll be a good year

15 hours ago, Drasnighta said:

They were showing off a new box set (two!) at GAMA and Adepticon.

Whhhhhhhaaaaaaat!?!  It has been many moons since the most venerable Western giant mechs have been around. This pleases me.

I've preordered the new Battletech PC game on GOG. If Mechwarrior 5 goes up there I'll try to scrounge enough for a pre-order. I hope both games do well enough to get sequels because I want to unleash my combined ER Beam Laser and Pulse Laser rigs in a PC game again

30 minutes ago, RogueCorona said:

I've preordered the new Battletech PC game on GOG. If Mechwarrior 5 goes up there I'll try to scrounge enough for a pre-order. I hope both games do well enough to get sequels because I want to unleash my combined ER Beam Laser and Pulse Laser rigs in a PC game again

Not in BattleTech you won’t...

3025/26 timeline.

I know but I'm hoping if the games get sequels they'll be far enough down the line for the advanced weapons to be added. I generally prefer the setting of the Secession Wars but like the new weapons and return of warships a lot. **** there are a few warship classes that I own more minis of then were built in the story. I still wish they had gone with a Fifth Secession War rather then the Jihad and Dark Age BS.

3 hours ago, Marinealver said:

So is Mech Warrior Online finally done?

It is an abomination of the BattleTech system, so I certainly hope so...

(To be fair - all of the MechWarrior games were... Which is why they were rebranded as MechWarrior.... but with no story component, MWO was the worst of the lot...)

On 1.4.2018 at 7:27 PM, Karneck said:

BattleTech: when it's actually released I'll have a look at it. I have hope, but I've been let down too many times by betas to buy into the hype.

MW5: wasn't even aware of it until now. It doesn't look very modern at all, but might still give it a try.

Relatedly: We'll also be doing some Battletech RPG (using FFG's Genesys system) as soon as we're done with the current SW: Force and Destiny story arc.

The Mech Commander series was the best of the lot, in my opinion.

The new BattleTech game seems much more like it in structure with the added bonus of being turn-based in combat.

If the game is anywhere near as good as Shadowrun was - I'll be a satisfied customer.

Edited by Democratus

For those who don’t know:

BattleTech was first and foremost a hex based tabletop game.

We then got some great computer games in the Crescent Hawks and then MechWarrior series that told great pilot-view stories, but really were disconnected from the core game concepts.

This got “worse” as the MechWarrior series went on... especially on the BattleMech engineering and customization department... Mech2 and Mech3 were the last of the adherents to the full custom ability.

MechCommander was a great compromise - it showcased lance and company level actions distanced from the pilot view, but it also spotted the hyper simplified MechWarrior customization field that was a Microsoft trait.

However, as it’s name implies - BattleTech at least has the promise to return to its Board Game, hex based, turn based roots - in fact, it appears to be the first in the series to incorporate more than the single physical attack - that has me excited for one.

I love me some Mech Commander. I wish I could get the first one to run on my computer again. 

I used to run missions over and over hoping to salvage every mech I could. There was nothing like getting your first Mad Cat. Ullers were cool, Cougars were cool, even Vultures. But nothing brought the pain like the poster boy. 

8 minutes ago, GrandAdmiralCrunch said:

I love me some Mech Commander. I wish I could get the first one to run on my computer again. 

I used to run missions over and over hoping to salvage every mech I could. There was nothing like getting your first Mad Cat. Ullers were cool, Cougars were cool, even Vultures. But nothing brought the pain like the poster boy. 

I only played Mech Warrior 3, 4, and 5, but yea, Mad Cat was my favorite mech. I eventually found the Mad Cat MKII, but at 90 tons, I felt it was one of the weaker assault chassis despite looking cool.