Jump to content
DangerShine Designs

Which model kits work with Legion

Recommended Posts

Not exactly a model kit, however the Hasbro U-wing fits rather well:

https://www.amazon.com/Star-Wars-Rogue-U-Wing-Fighter/dp/B01BYBV2OQ

Discussed this with some of the folks on reddit, they did the math and it comes out to 1/47. 

There's a picture in the amazon reviews of it next to some old WOTC mini's, we know Legion is a little bigger than them.

Should be relatively easy to find on discount with Toys R Us going under. (RIP)

review image

Similarly the Hasbro TIE striker should work as well. (In theory)

 

Edited by FlyingAnchors

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Did this Reddit thread happen to have actual numbers - length, width, height etc - FlyingAnchors? I've been looking for some ever since I heard about this one because it looks promising, but also like the proportions might be a bit off. I'm really hoping not so far off it can't be fixed.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/18/2018 at 6:50 AM, Skyguard said:

I found a surprisingly good deal on both the hasbro U-wing (2 left) and TIE Striker at walmart.com and picked up both. I figure worst case I give them to my daughter to play with. I will take some photos with them when they come in next week.

Is this the U-Wing you’re talking about?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01BYBV2OQ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_4Ui3Ab63C466D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, DangerShine Designs said:

Sorry, yes the u-wing is the same as your link.

U-wing seem close in scale, Tie Striker is a little big but usable depending on what you want to do with it.

uErijDm.jpg

Edited by Skyguard

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, ABXY said:

Would it be possible to see a top down pic of it on a 3x3 mat, pleeeeeease?!  

We are currently packing to put our house on the market so a lot of my hobby stuff is in boxes but I will see what I can do.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

that u wing looks great. the striker looks way big. I picked up a revel snap tie SF model with lights and sounds. looks more Imperial Assault sized than Legion sized. it would look terrible next to that striker though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/22/2018 at 10:15 PM, SSGClark said:

Anyone have a good tutorial on using these models for terrain?

For the things like the Stiker and U-Wing, best thing to do is to check for the mold lines. If you want, you can disassemble them and rework connection points and plug screw holes, though normally those are out of sight for our uses. And give the thing a good scrubbing.

If you want quick and easy, you can normally use an ink wash to easily add some weathering to it and then seal it. It's a decent and fast way.

If you want really good, pop out any parts you want to remain clear if there are any (Or mask them if you can't), then prime and paint it. Skip the normal mini primers if you do, look in the hardware store for the sprays that specifically say they work on plastic. After that, treat it, basically, like a normal model.

You might want to skip using the normal minis paints you use for your forces and go to the craft acrylics for things other than extreme details. You're covering a LOT more space here, and it's not normally worth four-five times the price of the ship to paint it.

When you seal it up, it's normally a good idea to add a few extra layers to it. Far more than the normal minis, these things tend to attract little kids like honey does bears, and they aren't normally gentle with them...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have the Hasbro U-wing, repainting it just for display because it looks great. Look up the scene in Rogue One where the reinforcements jump out onto the beach ("For Jedha!") and you see that it's not that big a craft and the scale really fits SW Legion minis.

 

I'll post pictures in my rebel army thread once it's done a bit further.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Does any one know of any  tie interceptors and/or bombers in a close enough scale. My plan was to set up a an imperial ship yard for a legion game, ive found 1 but i imagine 1/90 or 1/72 are way too small 

Edited by AliciaTheGreat

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, AliciaTheGreat said:

Does any one know of any  tie interceptors and/or bombers in a close enough scale. My plan was to set up a an imperial ship yard for a legion game, ive found 1 but i imagine 1/90 or 1/72 are way too small 

Closest for Interceptors will be the old ERTL models, which are nominally about 1:51, but are small even for that since they used an older measurement for the "real" ship's size; if you're using them next to the "proper" sized TIE/ln Revell kits they'll look a fair bit off. Bomber models even close to Legion scale simply don't exist, the only way is to basically replicate what ILM did for ESB - get hold of a TIE Advanced kit(the Revell one is closest) for the panels, then build the rest from scratch.

Best bet is to get access to a decent 3D printer and run off the ships you need in the right scale.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Yodhrin said:

Closest for Interceptors will be the old ERTL models, which are nominally about 1:51, but are small even for that since they used an older measurement for the "real" ship's size; if you're using them next to the "proper" sized TIE/ln Revell kits they'll look a fair bit off. Bomber models even close to Legion scale simply don't exist, the only way is to basically replicate what ILM did for ESB - get hold of a TIE Advanced kit(the Revell one is closest) for the panels, then build the rest from scratch.

Best bet is to get access to a decent 3D printer and run off the ships you need in the right scale.

Not entirely sure, but the older action fleet stuff used to work as close enough for some of the fighters

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Shadows of the Future said:

Not entirely sure, but the older action fleet stuff used to work as close enough for some of the fighters

Action Fleet TIE Bomber is about 1/74, the Interceptor about 1/80, according to RebelScale.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Yodhrin said:

Action Fleet TIE Bomber is about 1/74, the Interceptor about 1/80, according to RebelScale.

They jump around in scale a lot, the Advanced/Vader's Tie one (It was sold with both names at different points) looked about right on for the WotC ones and with it's tendency to break, works perfectly for terrain pieces.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Shadows of the Future said:

They jump around in scale a lot, the Advanced/Vader's Tie one (It was sold with both names at different points) looked about right on for the WotC ones and with it's tendency to break, works perfectly for terrain pieces.

Again according to RebelScale, the Action Fleet Advanced is about 1/56, so if you're after one of those you're better with the Revell EasyKit version which is scaled very close to the Revell TIE/ln(despite, again, not being claimed to be a similar scale by Revell, who at this point I'm convinced determine what scale number will go on a box by throwing darts at a board while blindfolded).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Does anyone know how the Bandai 1/48 AT ST compares size wise to the FFG model? The Bandai kits are significantly cheaper for me so of they're a comparable size...

EDIT: Also interested in how the Bandai snowspeeder compares to the FFG variant.

Edited by Chucknuckle

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, Chucknuckle said:

Does anyone know how the Bandai 1/48 AT ST compares size wise to the FFG model? The Bandai kits are significantly cheaper for me so of they're a comparable size...

EDIT: Also interested in how the Bandai snowspeeder compares to the FFG variant.

AT-ST is noticeably smaller, Snowspeeder is slightly larger. EDIT: The Bandai ones, I mean.

Edited by Yodhrin

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Im not joking when I ask if xenomorphs work with legion, but I think it is too early to make a crossover thread in which to design rules for such units and don't think I'd be around enough to update it anyway besides which I do not yet own legion.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Geressen said:

Im not joking when I ask if xenomorphs work with legion, but I think it is too early to make a crossover thread in which to design rules for such units and don't think I'd be around enough to update it anyway besides which I do not yet own legion.

 

They'd be doable, but I'm not entirely sure if they'd be worth it since there are a few other species inside the SW Universe that could make for a similar type creature for a game.

While it would be a samey, horde force, I could easily see something like the Rakghouls popping up to pull that kind of a scenario. Either as a "limited" faction of their own, or a massive hazard that both sides need to deal with as the game progresses...and anything they kill can become a Rakghoul to add to the problem.

And I could see Rakghouls being relatively easy to create. Sure, it would be GW parts, perhaps some pieces from Reaper, but they'd be doable with perhaps the ghoul bodies and 3rd/4th gen Genestealer cult heads.

Edited by Shadows of the Future

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...