HanScottFirst

Trying to choose a faction!

I'm a fluff player player as apposed to power player, the more character in an army the better. I think that is primarily going with a Rebel faction.

Rough and haggard looking troops with a mixture of devices and diverse players in units. This is odd as a young lad I liked the Empire. LOL! 

There is no wrong choice as long as the army is to your taste.  

Personally, I play both. I have to supply both sides’ armies, anyway, so I might as well play both. 

The Rebels- I love using the heroes. I rarely have avoided using Luke, despite his cost, as he is VERY effective. I’ve also found Han to be good, but not as impressive as young Skywalker.  I haven’t bought nor played with Leia, yet. 

With the Empire, I tend to favor Veers over Vader, and I'm looking forward to a generic officer as another option. Vader works, but he works largely as his own unit, while Veers improves the army, making the troopers, bikes and walkers more effective. For the Empire, I find it helpful to have a cheap leader who makes all of the units work better. 

I guess it’s a thematic factor- the Rebels always have been about the unique heroes, while the Empire builds around nameless, faceless legions and heavy weapons...

I play empire for the simple reason that they are the quickest to paint. Emperor, Darth, royal guards and of course stormies are all easy to paint. The only one that you have to put a lot of effort into is Boba. This isn't me being lazy btw. There are just that many minis you end up needing to paint. If you love painting and have endless time, rebels is for you. If you don't like to paint at all and won't be painting anything, well you can still prime in black, grey and white. A pure black darth and white stormies won't look to bad actually. A red monotone royal guard, again, not to bad. So I would still go with empire if you want to paint next to nothing.

As far as game mechanics go, Empire may have the slight advantage. They are at least easier to play. Really good rebel players don't have issues taking down the empire though, so I wouldn't pick a side based on "this side is clearly better". Especially when new units are always coming out.

On 1/25/2019 at 12:53 AM, Mep said:

There are just that many minis you end up needing to paint.

Point of order. In the grand scheme of post-1980 miniature wargaming, Legion uses very few minis. Boardgamers and Malifaux players might think 40ish models it's a lot. It isn't. It was pretty standard for scifi/fantasy games for a long time, with historicals frequently using a couple hundred but at least the guys were cheap and lent themselves to speed painting. Nowadays, the biggest Scifi and fantasy games are also using a couple hundred figures :( The first SW minis game used armies of "between 6 and 60" figures and I think Legion is pretty similar is finished size. If you paint 800 points and replay the same list several times you will not feel as daunted and you'll really learn the ins and outs of your army without forgetting which special powers to use or have the feeling that you "have" to buy the latest products.

And no those numbers of figures aren't "relative" or "in the eye of the beholder".  In any meaningful context of comparable games, Legion uses few minis. Just like while soccer cleats, shinguards and a ball might seem expensive, soccer uses little required equipment compared to golf or hockey. If you can't afford soccer gear, that still doesn't make it an equipment-heavy sport in the grand scheme of things.

If you love painting and have endless time, rebels is for you.

Or check out my thread on how I painted a squad of rebels with I believe it was a flat 44 minutes of brush time. I used a variation on this Hoth color scheme.

If you don't like to paint at all and won't be painting anything, well you can still prime in black, grey and white.

Yes he's right. If you just spray the stormtroopers white, brush paint their guns black, glue them to green/brown/grey spray painted bases, spray varnish. They will look ok. Spray Darth black, paint his saber white then red, glue to green base. Etc.

If you do want better, I spray primed my basic stormtroopers grey and put in like... 20 minutes of brush time in per squad. They look pretty nice I think. It's all about learning a few weird little tricks that are staples of painting models. Like the esoteric "wash" and "drybrush".

Edited by TauntaunScout

12 hours ago, TauntaunScout said:

Well when you have my win/loss record, being the empire is great because I'm always relieved that the badguys were defeated.

Well, you just keep doin your thing then. Lol.

On 1/25/2019 at 1:06 PM, TauntaunScout said:

Well when you have my win/loss record, being the empire is great because I'm always relieved that the badguys were defeated.

I carry the same sentiment.

When I get on a win streak I feel bad, because it pisses off my rebel buddy, and breaks with tradition :P

6 hours ago, Deathseed said:

I carry the same sentiment.

When I get on a win streak I feel bad, because it pisses off my rebel buddy, and breaks with tradition :P

Like some Buddhist monk said. If you win a game you have to look at a sad losing face, but if you lose you get to look at a happy winning face! It is better to lose.

4 hours ago, TauntaunScout said:

Like some Buddhist monk said. If you win a game you have to look at a sad losing face, but if you lose you get to look at a happy winning face! It is better to lose.

So...What do you do if you are playing yourself 😧 

On 1/25/2019 at 2:15 PM, TauntaunScout said:

Nowadays, the biggest Scifi and fantasy games are also using a couple hundred figures :( The first SW minis game used armies of "between 6 and 60" figures and I think Legion is pretty similar is finished size.

I remember having a mountain of unpainted zombies in a tower.  I used 80 of them at the time that was only 160 points in a 4kish game.  I am so happy that Star Wars Legion has multiple small squads.

1 hour ago, Winged Gundark said:

I remember having a mountain of unpainted zombies in a tower.  I used 80 of them at the time that was only 160 points in a 4kish game.  I am so happy that Star Wars Legion has multiple small squads.

It's all gone so far off the rails. When I started, the body counts for 40k and fantasy were considerably lower.  They sold a space marines boxed army of 2k points for (adjusted for inflation) about $300, it had 42 models in it. One of which was a small vehicle, two were heroes, the rest were squad members. Mostly metal minis. Now, 2,000 points of plastic will cost you a lot more than $300 I'd guess. And you'd have to paint a lot more than 42 figures.

Fantasy was even worse towards the end in terms of army sizes becoming too big too collect and paint. And people acted like it was natural, and beyond GW's control that the game became unplayable. It was so bizzaro when the fans acted like AoS was GW's genius solution to an outside problem. And not cleaning up a mess they'd made themselves.

Edited by TauntaunScout

On 1/18/2019 at 3:40 PM, Kingsguard said:

Tell that to Alderaan.

What is this ”Alderaan” you speak of?

Anyone else ever seen this ”Alderaan”?

All i see is an uncharted asteroid field orbiting a moon, nothing peculiar at all, just move along -_-

Edited by Attackmack

Main thing to remember!! If you choose Imperials you will be painting ALOT of white.....the most frustrating colour aside from yellow.

That being said, the rebels must be extinguished at all costs

I decided the first army I would paint is the imperials - problem is I hate white. Remembering an old Luke figure I had as a kid, I dug out my Shadows of the Empire book, had a quick internet search - hey presto, my Imperial troops are all Coruscant Guard units! All red, no white to paint at all (though I'm thinking white chestplate for unit leaders in rememberance of Commander Fox).

Point is with a little creativity white is not the only colour for Imperial units.

20 hours ago, ThumperLOLZ said:

Main thing to remember!! If you choose Imperials you will be painting ALOT of white.....the most frustrating colour aside from yellow.

That being said, the rebels must be extinguished at all costs

Just use Sorastro's stormtrooper method using rattle cans to spray the white on in two layers (corax white base and then a flat white zenithal highlight spray from above)

Then the only brushwork you're doing is the body glove between the plates and the details on the guns and helmets

For anyone really scared of painting white, stormtroopers don't have to be hard. Don't be a perfectionist trying to get a blinding pure shining white: they only need to look good from a couple feet away. Also gaming minis get handled, dropped, etc. so putting too much time into dedicated gaming figures can be dangerous!

I spray mine grey, then drybrush white twice with a flat wide brush. Then I paint black on guns, hands, holsters if applicable, heavies backpack/knee depending on the guy. Then I take a tiny brush and put a black wash in the eyes. Give the guns etc. a quick grey drybrush. Then use white to fix mistakes. It turns out fine. Drybrushing has been made out to be some arcane thing that requires a ton of skill, it's not. My stormtroopers aren't perfect but I just wanted them for demo games and they take about 25 minutes a squad. Also it can help to have a dedicated white drybrush if you're going to do a lot of it. That way you don't see streaks of old colors leftover in the brush. I have zero hand-eye coordination or talent, only the will to paint.

ISznveH.jpg

I suppose one could just spray paint white, paint the guns black and the bases green, give them a gloss varnish and they'll look like fine 1920's toy soldiers.

Edited by TauntaunScout