Sign in to follow this  
BiggsIRL

No Foolin'! It's the Steel Command Quarentine Thread!

7 hours ago, Hawkstrike said:

So, understanding that it's early yet and the games are thematically different -- how do you feel Legion compares to Armada?

Armada is still the "Chess" of FFG Star Wars games.  Games are won / lost by careful planning, good setup, and quality execution.  You can build your list to eliminate as much randomness as possible.  The fun is thinking out 3 or more turns in advance, and trying to figure out what your opponent's best move so you can predict your best response.

Legion is managing chaos.  If Armada is "Chess", Legion is "Risk: Legacy".  With two levels of randomness (offensive and defensive dice) and 360 degree movement of troopers, it is a very difficult game to predict.  Games have turned on a single good (or bad) roll of the dice.  The good part is casualties aren't as crucial, and objective play is king.  And it is fun because of how you manage the chaos.

Long story short, each is fun in their own way.  As Legion is right now, I would rather play Armada competitively, and Legion to have fun with friends.

I'm curious to see how the tourney rules set up boards. Jake's Scarif board is beautiful, but that natural choke on the southeast corner of the board is **** for whoever gets stuck over there.

And disarray on that map. /shudder.

On 4/2/2018 at 6:08 PM, BiggsIRL said:

Armada is still the "Chess" of FFG Star Wars games.  Games are won / lost by careful planning, good setup, and quality execution.  You can build your list to eliminate as much randomness as possible.  The fun is thinking out 3 or more turns in advance, and trying to figure out what your opponent's best move so you can predict your best response.

Legion is managing chaos.  If Armada is "Chess", Legion is "Risk: Legacy".  With two levels of randomness (offensive and defensive dice) and 360 degree movement of troopers, it is a very difficult game to predict.  Games have turned on a single good (or bad) roll of the dice.  The good part is casualties aren't as crucial, and objective play is king.  And it is fun because of how you manage the chaos.

Long story short, each is fun in their own way.  As Legion is right now, I would rather play Armada competitively, and Legion to have fun with friends.

The game might be less swingy than Legion(not totally convinced yet) but the tournament system certainly isn’t(unless of course legion prioritizes points over wins).  

For me there aren’t enough surprises in Armada, you know as soon as you see lists what your opponent is going to do and what you have to do to either counter it or push through your own strategy.  Feels very linear I guess.

I realize this comes of sort of fanboyish but I think relegating Legion to nothing more than a fun hangout excuse is a disservice, especially this early into it’s life.

Edited by Darkfine
Words