JohnnyTrash

Abregado Fusiliers - LED modded AT-RT

15 hours ago, Force Majeure said:

Very, very cool aliens.

Two things:

1.) Did you document the process? (crossing my fingers--I really like seeing how things are created)

2.) Is there somewhere you can point to that can help us learn some techniques you've used so we could try making some of these kinds of mods ourselves so we don't end up with potato headed figures?

1. I'm afraid I'm terrible at documenting my WIP stages... However there are a couple of shots I took. More on that later...

2. I started sculpting after having a great chat and a couple of beers with UK based sculpter ebob at a LotR event in Germany. His tutorials were a great starting point. Ebob himself has long advanced from the tools and methods described in his tutorials, but the basic concept still holds true: Work in layers and take your time!
http://www.ebobminiatures.com/sculpting/sculpting.htm

Most of the time I start with a wire armature which will provide a guideline for the basic shape of the miniature. If your armature's dimensions are off, the whole miniature will be...
1.jpg

Before I start sculting I apply a base layer of putty to the armature. This basecoat of putty already gives you a more detailed idea if the concept you had in mind is working or not. More importantly, this "sausage man" (as ebob calls it) gives the later layers of putty something to grab on to and makes it MUCH easier to work on fine details. Be aware that this baselayer needs to be sufficiently set before you can start sculpting.

2.jpg

From then on, it's just layer after layer until you're finished...

3.jpg

Human faces are a totally different matter. I spent hours on the Twi'lek because every time I was making progress my wife came around and asked me if I seriously thought that female faces looked like that and made me start again...^^ When sculpting faces I still use ebob's face pulling method and I'm prepared to start over if it doesn't work out... Don't worry about the back of the head. As you're pushing the putty around it will soon start to look weird. Just clean this up later once the face is set.

4.jpg

Edited by JohnnyTrash

I didn't like the Leia model when it was relesed and decided to search for alternatives. Found one in Skull Forge Studio's Marvel style Leia. An sbsolutely stunning yet brittle miniature. After painting up the FFG Leia, I have to admit that it's not a terrible model tho. I quite like her now.

2.jpg3.jpg

Alliance High Command has sent a Sphyrna-class corvette and a pair of DP20 frigates into the Abregado System to support the local Rebel cell. 
Times are desperate and the veteran crews find themselves in the thick of the fight more often than they would like it.

1.jpg

4.jpg

Edited by JohnnyTrash

On 7/31/2018 at 1:52 PM, JohnnyTrash said:

I didn't like the Leia model when it was relesed and decided to search for alternatives. Found one in Skull Forge Studio's Marvel style Leia. An sbsolutely stunning yet brittle miniature. After painting up the FFG Leia, I have to admit that it's not a terrible model tho. I quite like her now.

2.jpg3.jpg

I have to agree your FFG Leia has the best painted face I’ve seen.  

Ok, time to show the Rebel Alliance some love before the Clone Wars stuff drops...^^

Finally finished my core box AT-RT...^^ Took me way too long to paint it because I always chickened out doing the LED mod and painting the camo pattern with the airbrush. Really happy both worked quite well. A vicious alien puffin was added to make this thing super terrifying.

at-rt.jpg
https://www.instagram.com/finiatures/

Edited by JohnnyTrash