JohnnyTrash

Abregado Fusiliers - LED modded AT-RT

Thanks for the overwhelming feedback!

8 hours ago, EyeSeven said:

Still waiting for the post stating when you will be casting these up and where people will be able to get them ... :D

Sorry, these won't be cast. ? I know of several people who are working on alien heads, both 3d modelled and traditionally sculpted, and I am quite confident these will be out there in no time...

This is just a hobby and I sculpted these with no intention to cast and honestly I don't even know if it would work the way I designed these... They have a couple of imperfections I'll have to deal with while painting but I wouldn't call them a finished product ready for sale.

On 6.4.2018 at 10:27 PM, C3POFETT said:

Out of curiosity how much would you charge for an Ithorian head? Not ashamed to admit I dont have those kind of skills.

If (!!!) I did something like this, I would probably offer the sculpts to someone who has the time and the means to cast and distribute them properly... Never even thought about putting a pricetag on these... It willprobably take some time to bring my forces to 800 points but I'm ready to enjoy every moment of it.?

On 5/6/2018 at 6:53 AM, Contrapulator said:

These are so, so good. Can't wait to see more!

Thanks! Unfortunately, my hobby time is down to zero at the moment.

I'm back in the saddle in about two months. Just in time for Leia and Fleet troopers...^^

On 5/7/2018 at 11:41 PM, JohnnyTrash said:

Unfortunately, my hobby time is down to zero at the moment.

I'm back in the saddle in about two months.

Finally... I had a very productive evening yesterday.

I wanted to start on the second squad but had to try out Thorin's awesome LED lightsaber mod first. This tutorial is just great. I can't stop smiling since there is this tiny Luke and his glowing lightsaber with me right now...

2.jpg

https://finiatures.blogspot.com/2018/07/jedi-wear-their-sunglasses-at-night.html

.Another tiny step into this project... Finished an objective marker yesterday: Skull Forge Studio's "Downed Pilot".

1.jpg

Love the model and the detail but had massive problems with the material while working on it... Super brittle and not taking paint very well. Any advice on that? It was my first time working with a Shapeways print.

Edited by JohnnyTrash

Nice work!  The detail is insane, especially that helmet.

Wash the model with Simple Green and a stiff toothbrush before priming, I use a nylon AP brush.  3D prints have a residue from the printing process that makes it difficult to get paint to stick.  You may also need to keep the paint a touch thicker than normal.

Incredible GOOD work, I am deeply impressed, the running Twilek is just gorgeous!!!

And thanks for pointing me into the Skull Forge direction, great R1 stuff there, I will order some soon.

On ‎7‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 5:10 AM, GunNut said:

Nice work!  The detail is insane, especially that helmet.

Wash the model with Simple Green and a stiff toothbrush before priming, I use a nylon AP brush.  3D prints have a residue from the printing process that makes it difficult to get paint to stick.  You may also need to keep the paint a touch thicker than normal.

Frosted Ultra Detail and all other materials are NOT easy to use.

I had god results using Isopropanol and an Ultarsonic Cleaner! After that printline removal, very tricky and painful, my Clones are still not as smooth as would like them. :(

Then Tamiya Primer.

11 minutes ago, Agis said:

After that printline removal, very tricky and painful, my Clones are still not as smooth as would like them. :(

Yeah, work on Starkiller was a bit easier. I soaked and scrubbed him thoroughly. (Don't own an ultrasonic (yet...^^))
I had some good results with coating rough patches with gloss varnish before priming. This might work for the Clones too.

Very, very cool aliens.

Two things:

1.) Did you document the process? (crossing my fingers--I really like seeing how things are created)

2.) Is there somewhere you can point to that can help us learn some techniques you've used so we could try making some of these kinds of mods ourselves so we don't end up with potato headed figures?