ElderKoala

So.. what's the damage of a school desk?

I knew this was coming.  So much so I went out and got the PDFs for Force and Destiny because I knew this was coming. 

I've got a Jedi in the group.  And by Jedi, I mean a Sword Obsessed wanna-be super hero who talks like a Pro-Wrestler dialogue that's gone on steroids and has magical powers.  Focusing STRICTLY on Attack / Manipulate.    And in that, STRICTLY on the manipulation of everything not strapped down to the planet Earth. 

So... where exactly is the rules for what magic can lift?  Like.. Car would be Four Diamonds.  Large Object would be three?  Is that spelled out or am I home growing it?

5 minutes ago, ElderKoala said:

So much so I went out and got the PDFs for Force and Destiny because I knew this was coming. 

Slight problem with this, as there are no Force and Destiny PDFs. Not legally.

I'm not exactly clear on your question. Are you using Genesys magic rules? Or Star Wars Force rules? Force rules are pretty clear cut. Genesys doesn't exactly cover telekinesis in detail, but: if you're using the attack spell, then hurling a school desk just uses the rules for attack, and add the upgrade that adds disorient and knockdown or something. If you're doing things outside of combat, you typically increase the difficulty once for using magic over mundane. Determine the difficulty of lifting a human via Athletics, increase the difficulty once, and then once or twice more for range.

2 minutes ago, Swordbreaker said:

Slight problem with this, as there are no Force and Destiny PDFs. Not legally.

I'm not exactly clear on your question. Are you using Genesys magic rules? Or Star Wars Force rules? Force rules are pretty clear cut. Genesys doesn't exactly cover telekinesis in detail, but: if you're using the attack spell, then hurling a school desk just uses the rules for attack, and add the upgrade that adds disorient and knockdown or something. If you're doing things outside of combat, you typically increase the difficulty once for using magic over mundane. Determine the difficulty of lifting a human via Athletics, increase the difficulty once, and then once or twice more for range.

Let me rephrase.  I have the books, but having 40 books at the table is a problem.  So we converted the needed portions to PDF.  My apologies on the phrasing.  (We play EotE with Rebels.  We haven't had a Jedi in the party so we're now getting up to speed on both games at once!)

Right, so we're trying to figure out the rules for throwing a desk as a weapon with Magic.  I've started to break into Force and Destiny but I first wanted to make sure Destiny didn't cover it and I simply missed it.

Edited by ElderKoala

Alright.

What I said still stands: any kind of attack action with magic is the Attack spell, regardless if you are telekinetically hurling objects or spitting acid or fireballs or whatever.

Unlike Force powers, which are finicky, magic works like any other skill check in narrative encounters, just, y'know, it's magic. Figuring out the difficulties is really a matter GM's discretion, common sense, and group preference. Do you not care if the PCs are hurling multi-ton objects around like bouncy balls? Average or hard. Do you care? Daunting or formidable. But it's not functionally different from a slicer cracking into a computer with a Computers check, or a scout foraging for food with a Survival check, or a pilot in a a starfighter making a Piloting check.

Picking up a person to whisk them toward you (i.e. not throw to damage) would be an opposed roll using the targets resilience. If the target is not resisting then no roll required so long as they can affect the required silhouette. IMO

On 31.3.2018 at 8:00 PM, eldath said:

Picking up a person to whisk them toward you (i.e. not throw to damage) would be an opposed roll using the targets resilience. If the target is not resisting then no roll required so long as they can affect the required silhouette. IMO

Or opposed to Discipline, or Athletics, or... what ever suits the situation. Otherwise I agree. But that's just how we roll.

On 2018-03-31 at 11:17 AM, ElderKoala said:

I've started to break into Force and Destiny but I first wanted to make sure Destiny didn't cover it and I simply missed it.

It is covered with the Move power.  Objects do damage at 10*Silhouette (so a Sil1 object does 10 base damage).  A desk is going to be Silhouette 0, so assuming the PC has the required upgrade, it does a base of damage of 5 + successes.  Difficulty is based on range, so if you're throwing the desk at Short range it's 1 purple die, and you use your Discipline as your attack skill.

If you're doing the opposite and throwing a person at a desk...some people feel that is the purview of Bind, not Move.  Personally I'd allow it, but also the target would be able to resist (Discipline vs Discipline, but I'd also allow Athletics or Coordination for the target), which is a much worse negative pool for the thrower than 1P.