Sign in to follow this  
Magic Pink

Uses for Bag O' Cthulhu?

I got the Bag of Cthulhu (pictured here: http://www.amazon.com/Call-Cthulhu-LCG-Bag-Cthulh/dp/B002EBBO4O/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=toys-and-games&qid=1268663129&sr=8-2 ) mainly just to push an order into free shipping and was curious what uses anyone else has for them regarding Arkham Horror.

I figured I could use the small ones and one or two big ones as doom tokens and then some to mark Rumour spaces on the board, maybe. And one small one for the Innsmouth track.

Any other ideas?

Mummy/Zombies for the Clothing Drive! 

I also use a small one for the terror track token.

I'm going to give a big one to the winners of my Arkham Horror Tournament at Kublacon as a trophy.

Mythos130.png

I use one big one for the First Player "token" (easy to spot on the table) and six of the small ones to fill the Innsmouth Deep One Rising track.

Oh that's right, the Innsmouth track fills doesn't it? I forgot that.

I suppose I can't really do that and the doom counters then unless I maybe replace every filled line on the AO sheet with a larg Cthulhu.

Technically yes, the DOR track fills, but it would function just as well if you ran it like the Terror track and simply used a single small Cthulhu to indicate the progress, so long as you remember which direction you're filling from and don't accidentally knock the poor fella flying at some point and forget where he was placed. The main reason why I don't employ the small Cthulhu as Doom counters is the occasional need to remove and flip one for use as an Elder Sign. Of course, you could easily snap up a token from the box for that purpose. I personally really enjoy the single large "idol" to denote the first player. It does away with all that, "where's the token, who's the first player?" nonsense in larger games, plus it looks really tight.

I have the bag of c'thulhu (they were at local game store, also "bag of clowns" if you want your fun town full of evil clowns), they're dark green (at least mine), sort of a camouflage green.  Nice artistically, some bases not completely flat (curve up a bit).  A larger one makes a nice First Player token.

For use as tokens I prefer the bright green c'thulhu's (25 I think) that come with the Unspeakable Words card game (as one poster on boardgamegeek put it, they're overproduced in quality, worth price of game in themselves).  They're smaller and being bright green come across a little cuter - aw look it's lil'C'thulhu - their round base is just the right size to cover a terror track slot for example.  I use them with universal-head's print off to mark the monsters limits etc. settings of each game.

I think boardgamegeek is down just now, there are some photos on it of someone who set up little conga lines of the bright green ones to show what they look like, there they are on flicker:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3006/2522369799_310f1d1e87.jpg?v=0

Knuckles Eki said:

How about the Dunwich Horror track?  I always find it hard to keep track since the tokens are the same color as the board.

I don't even bother using the proper tokens for it.  I just throw on some dollars usually.

Magic Pink said:

HA

That's a great image.

"It's the Dunwhich Horror!"

"Here's a five, kid, now make like you was never here."

Heh...  Actually, I wasn't implying that, or that the Dunwich Horror is an intergalactic stripper.

I use a small one to mark the "half-filled" Doom space that must be reached to declare Martial Law in Innsmouth.  Then I put it away and place a big one next to Devil Reef when Martial Law is declared.

...That is, until I get my "High Priest" Lego Squid Warrior this week.

jgt7771 said:

I use a small one to mark the "half-filled" Doom space that must be reached to declare Martial Law in Innsmouth.  Then I put it away and place a big one next to Devil Reef when Martial Law is declared.

OoooOOOooo! I like that idea. Consider it stolen.

Deek said:

jgt7771 said:

OoooOOOooo! I like that idea. Consider it stolen.

Dude!... Dude!.. Duuhuuuhuuuude!. Your a thief! Dude.

These big Cthulu models just remind me how much I want miniatures for monsters and investigators. The game would be so much better with them. :(

Minq said:

These big Cthulu models just remind me how much I want miniatures for monsters and investigators. The game would be so much better with them. :(

The game takes up a crazy amount of space already, but one of the areas it excels in is condensing down. I wouldn't want to change that by having to deal with a hideously huge amount of monster figures. I can almost see it for investigators, but not monsters. Also drawing them from the cup would be an adventure. lengua.gif

You'd still need the chits for the monster stats. You'd have to place a monster token under the mini (or something) for quick reference. Also, having more than two or three monsters in a single street or location would get crowded, especially once an investigator tries to elbow his or her way into the mix. Just last game I had five monsters stacked on Joe Sargent's Bus Service waiting to hurl themselves into a vortex. And yeah, storing and transporting over 160 minis would be a whole new nightmare. I love the thought of monster minis, aesthetically speaking, but in practice they'd strip you of sanity long before the Mythos gets a crack at you.

babeo.gif

That said, I'm all for investigator minis, though I'd still have to rethink my storage situation.

Deek said:

You'd still need the chits for the monster stats. You'd have to place a monster token under the mini (or something) for quick reference. Also, having more than two or three monsters in a single street or location would get crowded, especially once an investigator tries to elbow his or her way into the mix. Just last game I had five monsters stacked on Joe Sargent's Bus Service waiting to hurl themselves into a vortex. And yeah, storing and transporting over 160 minis would be a whole new nightmare. I love the thought of monster minis, aesthetically speaking, but in practice they'd strip you of sanity long before the Mythos gets a crack at you.

babeo.gif

That said, I'm all for investigator minis, though I'd still have to rethink my storage situation.

A friend of mine has a mini for nearly every monster and in many cases multiples.  He also has many of the Old Ones.  He moves them in and out with amazing ease.   He does put the chits out and the monsters on top of them.  Some of the monsters completely obscure the miniatures.  He's applied to run a game at Kublacon near San Francisco.

On top of that he just got married. His wife plays and she registered Arkham expansions for wedding gifts.

No nightmares there!corazon.gif

mageith said:

A friend of mine has a mini for nearly every monster and in many cases multiples.  He also has many of the Old Ones.  He moves them in and out with amazing ease.   He does put the chits out and the monsters on top of them.  Some of the monsters completely obscure the miniatures.  He's applied to run a game at Kublacon near San Francisco.

On top of that he just got married. His wife plays and she registered Arkham expansions for wedding gifts.

No nightmares there!corazon.gif

Ha! I stand corrected. gui%C3%B1o.gif

I'd love to see that. To be honest, I'm a little jealous. Not only does he have a workable system for monster minis, but his wife plays?? My wife sees the board set up, I avoid eye contact. I might as well be flipping visage tokens for the rest of the night.

First off, my bride plays also. That is pretty cool. She doesn't have the patience for long games that I do, but from time to time she likes to play a game of AH.

I use the small chthulu to act as doom tokens on the AO sheets. Haven't had a problem with size or anything. I use the large ones to mark sealed locations. Easier to see than those little elder signs. Yes they can be cumbersome and get in the way of monster chits and investigators, but we haven't really had that much trouble. I will definitely use one of the large ones as the first player token when I play with my sons this weekend.

I currently have a set of these myself and I find them best used for the first player token, the deep ones rising track, and the terror level track. Other then that you really need no other justifications for having it other then "it's a frackin bag of Cthulhu's! Who wouldn't want it?"

mageith said:

A friend of mine has a mini for nearly every monster and in many cases multiples.  He also has many of the Old Ones.

Mageith, do you know the producer of these minis? Love to see them!

Julia said:

mageith said:

A friend of mine has a mini for nearly every monster and in many cases multiples.  He also has many of the Old Ones.

Mageith, do you know the producer of these minis? Love to see them!

He got them on ebay.  Someone else was selling out his collection, then he bought some more I think. I'll see what I can find out.