Sign in to follow this  
AintNoPoser

No Need For Bids

I feel that in Legion we don't need to bid for initiative due to a dice roll every time there is a tie for pips. And, if most players starting now are using Standing Orders for their round one command, then might as well try to take that 50% die roll.

Also, since objective does matter heavily in this game, the bigger your army, the better off you should be. 

Yeah, so far I see no reason to not try and max out the points. Which IMO is both good and bad, bidding for priority could have been an interesting strategic element but on the otherhand, im kind of happy that a game will be decided by the table and not off of it (aside from the listbuilding in general, of course).

While getting the most bang for your points is a good idea initiative is still important because it sets the tempo of the game even before it begins. Picking blue at the start let's you have the first say on what gets vetoed. And you can start planning from there.

As for standing orders I understand the use if it as a first card depending on deployment if the first activation in the first turn won't cause damage then there isn't any reason to fight for it and that way you can save the rest of your command cards to have better control on future turns since you will be in a better position to act first the rest of the game.

Well, there's no "need" for initiative bid (blue bid?) but I wouldn't say it's unimportant. As others stated, bidding for blue player lets you pick potentially better side of the table and you can than push for advantageous deployment. Or if the sides are more or less equal you can push for either objective or condition that's beneficial to you. So I believe it's not something you should struggle to get, but if you get it, good for you. I expect to see up to 8 points of bid (usually less, since for 5 pts you can get occasionally good grenades), which is by far the least percentage of points played (only 1%), whereas in X-wing it's usually up to 3% (3 pts) and in Armada up to 5% (20 pts).

Standing Orders are really interesting command card, one I hadn't appreciate enough the first time I saw it. In some scenarios (namely Major Offensive and Limited Visibility) that's the best first round card one can ask for. It also mean you can try to be second in a turn when you just maneuver for positions, and knowing where your opponents goes gives you better perspective on the board.

That said, there will be turns when playing Standing Orders in a first turn might be disastrous - especially when enemy speeders comes into play, fast enough to skim the battlefield and suppress/kill some of your stuff early in right circumstances. So Standing Orders might not always be as popular as a first round drop ;)

3 hours ago, Crabbok said:

Depends.  Some objectives give a huge advantage to the blue player.  

Which objectives are you referring to? To me it looks like Key Positions is the only one that gives any advantage.

7 hours ago, NukeMaster said:

Which objectives are you referring to? To me it looks like Key Positions is the only one that gives any advantage.

Id say key positions is the best example of blue player advantage. I think if I was red it’s my new priority one to get rid of 

If you have numerically superior army, it’s good to bid for red as you can get use your numbers advantage to out deploy your opponent. From the games on tts, deployment usually determines significantly how your army engage and subsequently your chance of winning

Yeah we really can’t call bringing less army points an “initiative bid” in this game.... if anything it’s a “deployment/mission bid”.

Where as selecting a lower pip command card is an “initiative bid” for all intents and purposes.

But I do agree that there is some value to be gained in having the choice between red and blue player. But not as much as there could be given that you have to choose based on only the terrain set up, as the Battle Cards are not dealt until after the choice is made.

So far, in all of my 800 point games, I have been selected as the red player by my opponent who had made a deployment bid in each of his lists. And I have to admit that I really like having the last say in the mission setup more so than the first say.

Because we are eliminating and not selecting the card to be played from each row... there is less power in going first. Which I really think benefits the Red player.

Edited by Palomarus