Sign in to follow this  
Jobu

Wow, they always do intersting stuff with Survivors

31 minutes ago, Starbreaker1 said:

It's important to note, he is amazingly good in 4 player, especially with Carolyn to help keep him not from going off the deep end.  second when playing a campaign your first stop should always be the bayou, because if you can get monstrous transformation on Calvin he becomes absurdly good.  In solo he definitely suffers due to having one bad luck normally knock him out, where as most investigators it takes two bad pulls, usually, however in two player he is good in four he is fantastic.

I hear you on Rougarou, but we never win that scenario. It seems like it would be additionally hard with Calvin with no traumas. Do you need him to be lead investigator to receive the reward?

Yes, I believe so, it has been a while since I have played it.  You may be right, but IMO that scenario now is not that difficult as long as you have a dedicated clue grabber and two dedicated fighters. but that is typically how we structure our groups so that may just be my experience.

On 16 april 2018 at 12:44 PM, Raahk said:

Thematically i dont think a stat line of zeroes makes sense. I Think it should be ones at least

Yea I agree. 

And he would be better balanced I think.

That, or he could use a extra hit & sanity point.

14 minutes ago, Noccus said:

Yea I agree. 

And he would be better balanced I think.

That, or he could use a extra hit & sanity point.

Either suggestion would make him ridiculously OP.  He's already pretty comfortable sitting at 4 in each stat, blowing away every other investigator's stat line.  1s for his base or an extra buffer on health and sanity would make that even easier.  Besides, an extra sanity would slow down his access to the Desperate skills.

4 hours ago, CSerpent said:

Either suggestion would make him ridiculously OP.  He's already pretty comfortable sitting at 4 in each stat, blowing away every other investigator's stat line.  1s for his base or an extra buffer on health and sanity would make that even easier.  Besides, an extra sanity would slow down his access to the Desperate skills.

I have not der playtested hin nur i am absolutely sure that FFG did. Still, thematically, a stat line of zeroes feels weird. This grown man is weaker than a child:huh:

Maybe a statline of ones and max health and sanity reduced by one?

2 hours ago, Raahk said:

I have not der playtested hin nur i am absolutely sure that FFG did. Still, thematically, a stat line of zeroes feels weird. This grown man is weaker than a child:huh:

Hes a reanimated corpse that gets stronger and smarter the closer he gets back to death. There is no calvin anymore. Just a furious shell being puppeted by darkness

5 hours ago, Raahk said:

Well, I have.  I've played him at least as much as any other investigator at this point.  It's easy to look at him and think he's ridiculous, but I assure you, he is very well balanced and really fun to play.  He gets beat up by lesser enemies early so that he's able to rage on every scenario boss.  While everyone else is running around with their stat lines of 12 total, he's carrying as much as 20.  I'm taking him through Dunwich now.  He's had a couple of early exits, but trauma just means he starts the later scenarios already powered up.  I'm actually not being aggressive enough with him -- only two mental trauma so far after Blood on the Altar.

Thematically, as Donel says, he's essentially dead.  So sure, weaker than a child.

His backstory in Eldritch Horror is this:

Sometimes, life gives you a choice = accept the lot which is given to you, or stand up for who you are and what you believe in. Calvin chose the latter On the edge of death, bleeding out on the side of a dirt road, a vision came to him. A terrifying vision of the Earth sundered and Joao, the love of his life, turning to ash in the vortex of a blazing inferno. Then Calvin made another choice. He reached out to the darkness and pulled it within him. He would not die, not today. The world needed him - Joao needed him.

Is he in investigators of Arkham? That might have more.

Calvin isn't a reanimated corpse.   As they say in the princess bride, there's a big difference between dead and mostly dead.   I think the idea is that through sheer grit he kept fighting to live where others would have given up and let themselves die.   

So yeah, it's a little silly that he's dumber, weaker, and slower than a child.  Side note-  how old is wendy supposed to actually be?  We've heard her referred to as an urchin, or orphan, which are usually things applied to children... but she doesnt look that young.   Her abandoned and alone card also gives us the flavor of some sort of teenage angst.   So she's what.... 16?  I mean 16 year olds are mostly adults, so maybe she could out-stat calvin on a good day.   But she still out-stats him by a lot.   

Until he gets pounded on of course.  He's like the John Mellencamp of arkham.  

Maybe he's an actual masochist.   Or maybe he's just like severely bipolar.  

I'm pretty sure his stats are just that way for balance reasons. He's a normal Joe until the adrenaline kicks in and the people he cares about are threatened. There is no entry for him in the Investigators of AH book, but he does have bio info in Eldritch Horror. He's not ACTUALLY a zombie or a corpse. He is, however, the survivor of an accident who then embraced the power of the mythos to fight back. What power exactly? That's not really clear.

And let's not forget that Duke, who is literally just a dog, is smarter than every non-Seeker investigator except Finn and stronger than every non-Guardian.  He is also, incidentally, exactly as strong as a werewolf, a creature that's generally defined as "a dog, but way stronger and occasionally bipedal."

22 minutes ago, rsdockery said:

And let's not forget that Duke, who is literally just a dog, is smarter than every non-Seeker investigator except Finn and stronger than every non-Guardian.  He is also, incidentally, exactly as strong as a werewolf, a creature that's generally defined as "a dog, but way stronger and occasionally bipedal."

I wouldn‘t call him smart. He‘s just skilled at finding clues.