Sign in to follow this  
lordsneek

A suggestion to FFG: A way to get more careers into the game quickly.

I know that a few people on this forum don't think WFRP 3rd edition has enough careers. I just thought of an easy solution that FFG can do easily and that fans of the game will love. Why not make and sell small sets of careers. Smaller and cheaper then even the Adventurer's Toolkit. This will be cheaper to manufacture and it will be cheap for gamers.Think of it like the career compendium from 2nd edition except broken into smaller cheaper parts. For example some people might want wilderness based careers then FFG would come out with a small box set of wilderness careers. There would be different boxes for different types of careers so players would buy the ones that they want for their game.

It's a good idea, and it's probably something they're already working on. I'll be shocked if they don't release the rest of the colleges and major deities along with the rank 3 and 4 versions of the wizard and priest. There's also no way to play an elven caster at the moment so I assume their working on High Magic and Forest Magic. :)

Small career packs for the non-magical careers would also be pretty niceespecially some advanced version of the basic classes since I see a lot of folks complaining that they can't stay in one career for very long (which is something I like about Warhammer but every method of play should be as valid as possible).

I really doubt they would make such a marketing mistake. Sales wise this would mean having a few parallel products, produced and distributed at equal quantities but there's not way those would be in equal demand everywhere. Stores would end up with one SKU sold out on day one and two other SKU gathering dust for months. FFG know how to do business and will more likely sell something like a complete "rank 3-5" kit plus maybe separate boxes just for the Wizards and Priests careers if they decide to expand the options there.

Krelios said:

It's a good idea, and it's probably something they're already working on. I'll be shocked if they don't release the rest of the colleges and major deities along with the rank 3 and 4 versions of the wizard and priest. There's also no way to play an elven caster at the moment so I assume their working on High Magic and Forest Magic. :)

I really doubt there will be any Elven High Magic involved in the game at all. The power differential is too significant and will most likely be dropped like it was in WFRP 2e. Any High Elf wizard will most likely be in his early training phases and will only have access to specific Winds and not Qhaysa.

The rest seems reasonable enough and quite welcome!

Lexicanum said:

Krelios said:

I really doubt there will be any Elven High Magic involved in the game at all. The power differential is too significant and will most likely be dropped like it was in WFRP 2e. Any High Elf wizard will most likely be in his early training phases and will only have access to specific Winds and not Qhaysa.

The rest seems reasonable enough and quite welcome!

I don't think I agree. Fully half of our initial race options are them pointy-eared elfs! Plus the power level of PCs is considerably higher than in 1e/2e. I'm pretty sure we'll see some elfy magic... how soon, though, remains a question.

lordsneek said:

I know that a few people on this forum don't think WFRP 3rd edition has enough careers. I just thought of an easy solution that FFG can do easily and that fans of the game will love. Why not make and sell small sets of careers. Smaller and cheaper then even the Adventurer's Toolkit. This will be cheaper to manufacture and it will be cheap for gamers.Think of it like the career compendium from 2nd edition except broken into smaller cheaper parts. For example some people might want wilderness based careers then FFG would come out with a small box set of wilderness careers. There would be different boxes for different types of careers so players would buy the ones that they want for their game.

Awesome idea, and undoubtedly in the works, but it can't be developed and playtested overnight.  They need to make sure that the careers they introduce won't break or supplant anything that exists in the game now nor anything planned for the future.

Why not make the career packs into collectible packs? Eight careers per package all randomly inserted with commons, uncommons, rares and Ultra Rare foil packaged careers....

Gotcha catch em all, gotta catch em all!

No Thanks!

I'll take them all in one pack for a higher price point, please.

LeBlanc13 said:

Why not make the career packs into collectible packs? Eight careers per package all randomly inserted with commons, uncommons, rares and Ultra Rare foil packaged careers....

Gotcha catch em all, gotta catch em all!

No Thanks!

I'll take them all in one pack for a higher price point, please.

The careers in the packs don't have to random. I mean FFG already makes living card games so why not? I was thinking more along the lines of ten or twelve careers per pack and maybe a bit of background information along with them. Going back to my wilderness example. If they make a pack full of wilderness careers then maybe they could provide a small booklet on the wilderness of the Old World and maybe a few extra action cards that relate to the new careers. They would add a bunch of careers into the game and eventually we would have almost as much as 2nd edition if not more.

I am hoping for something along the lines of the adventurer's toolkit except more focused on certain sets of careers (wilderness, urban, criminal etc.) so that way I would only be paying for the careers that I want rather then get a bunch of other careers mixed in that are completely unrelated to the careers that I think are cool.

GravitysAngel said:

Awesome idea, and undoubtedly in the works, but it can't be developed and playtested overnight.  They need to make sure that the careers they introduce won't break or supplant anything that exists in the game now nor anything planned for the future.

This is REALLY important. I don't want another D&D where each supplement introduce new classes/feats/powers that are stronger than those in the core book for the only purpose of making powermungers want ABSOLUTLY to buy those books.

On the whole not a bad idea. But, for me it would depend on exactly how it was done. How many per pack? whats the price? what do they include?

Done well, I'd welcome it. Done poorly, it would probably kill my interest in the game.

All in all, I think I am with Lebanc, give them to me all at once, preferably with rule expansions, and what not.

Parzival said:

On the whole not a bad idea. But, for me it would depend on exactly how it was done. How many per pack? whats the price? what do they include?

Done well, I'd welcome it. Done poorly, it would probably kill my interest in the game.

All in all, I think I am with Lebanc, give them to me all at once, preferably with rule expansions, and what not.

Obviously my statement was a bit over the top, but I would also prefer they are included in supplements instead of fed to us in card packs where I feel like I'm being forced to buy all of the cool careers that were intentionally left out of the main game.

....not that this happened (iron breaker, sword master...cough, cough)