Tvayumat

"Rebellions are built on paint!" (Tvay's painting thread, now with 100% more Empire)

Awesome work

How did you get that fade?  The area, for example, on the driver’s thigh?

Base and a wash

Base with glaze

Airbrush effect

New guy minus an airbrush and have been trying to figure out how to do that with a series of browns on my Rebels

5 hours ago, MasterZelgadis said:

Watch Sorastro's painting videos. Especially the rebel squad video. He uses a wet brush after painting (paint has to be still wet) to blend the two colors together and create a gradient

I've tried something like this on my Stormtrooper's helmets and failed. How wet is his brush? And I thought I didn't use enough paint - do you have to have a decent amount on there to have enough to spread it around? I tried it with a Citadel "Layer" paint, but maybe that was too thin to add water too?

Posted (edited)
On 3/28/2018 at 7:14 PM, Dash Two said:

Awesome work

How did you get that fade?  The area, for example, on the driver’s thigh?

Base and a wash

Base with glaze

Airbrush effect

New guy minus an airbrush and have been trying to figure out how to do that with a series of browns on my Rebels

Zenithal highlights, my man. Works best with an airbrush, and is a pretty quick shortcut to some basic highlighting once you figure out paint consistency to lay over it.

I think sorastro has been showing how to do these lately.

Edited by Tvayumat

@Tvayumat

I found your photos on FB.  Once I zoomed I figured it was zenithal ... light over a dark.  I am new ... brand new ... and was able to get a little of that with a pair of rattle cans.  Nothing as subtle as you got.  

Appreciate the reply. 

What products / colors did you use on the base? You achieved a nice asphalt adjacent effect I've been trying to pull off and yours looks almost exactly like what I had in my head.

Posted (edited)

your paint job is so well done if i was facing you across the table i'd feel awful for every model i removed from your army.  Almost like i'm desecrating an ancient temple.

do you make any advanced painting tutorials? i do some nice paint jobs myself but i'd like to take it to the next level and i think someone like you is just what i need to put me up there

Edited by executor

On 3/31/2018 at 9:34 AM, KalEl814 said:

What products / colors did you use on the base? You achieved a nice asphalt adjacent effect I've been trying to pull off and yours looks almost exactly like what I had in my head.

I am loathe to confess that the basing on my rebels is a somewhat failed application of Agrellan Badland from Citadel. I had a big bottle laying around from who knows how long ago, and decided to use it.

I should have known better, because now I have to either buy more of that overpriced gunk or just pick a suitable replacement from Vallejo.

Anyway, it's just painted gray, washed black, drybrushed gray/light gray/white.

Alright so, I told myself it was rebels only this time, but that lasted all of a week so... going with a "Fresh off the Death Star" look for my stormtroopers.

My custom regiment is Captain Officer's Generic White Armored Standard Operating Procedure Troopers, the most feared (and least recognized) troopers in the entire Empire.

1GR7deo.jpg

Those stormies look fantastic! The shading is brilliant and I really like the bases!

I heard the Generic White Armor Divison is plan B in the unlikely event that the Death Star is destroyed :D 

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, Soulless said:

Those stormies look fantastic! The shading is brilliant and I really like the bases!

I heard the Generic White Armor Divison is plan B in the unlikely event that the Death Star is destroyed :D 

Like anything could destroy the Death Star.

I don't know where you get your delusions, laser brain.

Edited by Tvayumat

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, Tvayumat said:

Like anything could destroy the Death Star.

I don't know where you get your delusions, laser brain.

Oh its probably nothing, I just heard some nerfhearder talk about a chute or something...Nevermind, hey have you checked out the new TB-16s?

Edited by Soulless

On 4/8/2018 at 9:08 AM, Alan Noir said:

Great looking stormtroopers. Thats the sort of style Im working towards. How did you do the bases; sanded smooth, painted and gloss varnish?

They're black gloss acrylic bases from Rebel Lightworks. Add a little paint through the masking and they work great.

The rebel troops and Luke look fantastic but I’m blown away by your stormtroopers.  I’m struggling just to get them to look decent for the tabletop and yours are art.

I’m really impressed by the blue divers in the side of the helmets (not sure if there is a word for these).  They are super clean.  Did you get this by doing the recesses and then highlighting over top?  It just looks beautiful.

as far as the aesthetics I also love what you did with the officers pauldron.  Lots of people are painting it a solid color (which looks fine), but I like a border on it.  Yours is the best I’ve seen.