Sign in to follow this  
theninthguardian

Yet Another Disciples of the Void preview

It's kind of funny that for as much shade everyone is throwing at the Scorpion, they are going to be considered the good guys once this Phoenix pack comes out.  Somebody is going to have to stand up to our new Fire Chicken Overlords.

Dragon and other heavy atachment decks will also do well, but, Tadaka is straight up beastly vs event heavy decks.  

Tadaka seems a powerful character, but I have seen these kind of effects in other games and they were not so heavy once in play... and in those games character did not grow old and died by natural means...

I find it is a solid card with a good mechanic. Is he the Scorpion gravedigger? I don´t think so...

I don think Tadaka will be the counter to the Scorpion, but, he will certainly change what the players fight over when they start the steal/counter war and it could lead to the end result being less of a negative exchange for the Phoenix, or require Scorpion to have more cards to win the exchange, which is a good thing for the meta.

He could end up being a bad thing for Phoenix if they meta too hard to try and win the Scorpion match up and as a result become weaker to other clans. But that will depend on if there is any major meta shifts as a result of the Phoenix pack.  At the very least I suspect we'll have 2-3 very distinct decks coming out of Phoenix that will attack the metagame in different ways.  That should be fun for sure.  I know I'm already brewing with them and with their new splashes.

Really loving Unicorn/Phoenix jank, but, I have a feeling it will play better as Phoenix/Unicorn instead

9 hours ago, HamHamJ2 said:

I have been thinking Tadaka is symmetrical and just found out he is not. He is ridiculously op against event heavy decks liken Scorpion, making like a third of their deck dead cards.

Five costers absolutely should shake the board when they hit, and Tadaka certainly does that. Of course, Scorpion aren't without answers - Cloud the Mind is now probably a mandatory three-of, and restricting access to their own Events possibly increases the value of the Plagarist. 

Where I think things get really interesting is with attachment-heavy decks, which right now are countered by Scorp/Dragon splash being so prevelant. We're very much moving towards a rock/paper/scissor environment where accurately predicting a tournament field becomes a major influential skill.

Edited by Hinomura

5 hours ago, Asako Hohe said:

Now, what does Walking the Way do? I'm waiting for that card to decide whether the new SH is worth giving up the 3 glory Haugthy Magistrate or not.

Stop waiting there are plenty out there already.  New Phoenix SH is straight gas

Dont get me wrong about Tadaka. I think he is powerful indeed. I just believe his impact will be more in the meta than in play. He will not be able to win so many games by himself once people begin diversifying their effects. This may be quite good for the game, indeed, but will mean Tadaka being a not so determining character in a particular game...

Specially as he eventually will leave the table at one point due to Mono no aware (fact), which can be accelerated by AFWTD, Meditations, Mono no aware (card), and others.

I agree with the Imperial advisor point of view on the impact of Tadaka in the meta (excellent articla btw):

http://imperialadvisor.com/wp/2018/03/29/phoenix-clan-pack-disciples-of-the-void/

If everyone drops to 2 copies of For Shame etc then that is a win in itself. Even then Tadaka will still be playable though you might more often look at your opponent's discard and decide he isn't worth it that turn.  

Reading through IA's article on DotV, I'm so excited at what the other Clan packs could look like. I really joined L5R back as Gold started, but this feels so much more exciting than any of those editions did.

From Imperial Advisor article.

Walking the Way

Text:

Event
1 fate cost
Spell. Air.
If you control a Shugenja character, reduce the cost to play this card by 1.
Action: Look at the top 3 cards of your dynasty deck. Discard a card from a province you control, and put one of the looked at cards into that province faceup. Shuffle.

This card is very good in Phoenix.

All the strong holdings you can get: forgotten library/secluded shrine and of course Kanjo District

All the insane Charge targets: Tuskune/Fushicho

It doesn't help you winning conflicts but with shrine maiden you are going to draw so many cards that  it will not matter too much. It will most likely cost 0 and will be replay-able from klyduen Isawa.

Phoenix have many game winning synergies, like charge Fuchisho with 5 fate char in the discard or IF +kanjo district , this card will greatly help you putting the combo piece together.

Interesting this WtW digs into dynasty where the original searched fate ( now conflict). Still feels like WtW to me.  Love it......... and at the same time hate it that it pretty much ensures we’ll see some sort of “good stuff” Phoenix deck that is hyper consistent and abusive, and will no doubt become the next big thing the non-clan loyal players latch on to.......

We need some maho up in this game to at least distract some of the Ohoenix players.

I dunno. Dynasty card selection is nice, but not good enough to spend a Conflict draw on, in my opinion. It'd have to dig deeper or replace itself to appeal to me. I don't see myself playing this unless I end up running a spell-heavy Shrine Maiden deck or the new stronghold, and even then I'd be carefully considering if there's some other spell I'd rather be casting each turn than Walking the Way.

The Lion character has been confirmed as:

Ikoma Tsanuri unique 2 cost 2/1, 2 glory. 

Action: During a conflict in wich this character is participating, if you control 3 or more Bushi participating characters - until the end of the conflict, each participating character you control gets +1M and +1P.

2 hours ago, AradonTemplar said:

I dunno. Dynasty card selection is nice, but not good enough to spend a Conflict draw on, in my opinion. It'd have to dig deeper or replace itself to appeal to me. I don't see myself playing this unless I end up running a spell-heavy Shrine Maiden deck or the new stronghold, and even then I'd be carefully considering if there's some other spell I'd rather be casting each turn than Walking the Way.

Casting WtW twice with the new stronghold, digging 6 total cards, picking the best 2 for free when Phoenix has some of the more bonkers dynasty side cards is pretty strong.

1 hour ago, L5RBr said:

Action: During a conflict in wich this character is participating, if you control 3 or more Bushi participating characters - until the end of the conflict, each participating character you control gets +1M and +1P.

Thus my pouring over my decklist to find room for her today, definitely fits my playstyle.

5 hours ago, L5RBr said:

Do we know if she is bushi ?

Because the playablity of this card relies on the answer to that question.