Sign in to follow this  
Tailsgod

Chopper with Shield Upgrade

lol - this is a good friggin question. Using the precedent set by pitching the droid granting an EPT doesn't discard the EPT, I'm of the mindset that if you pitch shield upgrade, you don't lose the shield. If you have some way of regenerating it after the upgrade has been pitched, then your maximum shield value is now what's printed and thus cannot regen back to value +1 like it was when you placed your ship.

Personally I'd say that you could discard it with (your normal shield value -1) shields, and regen up to your original shield value but if you discarded it whilst at your original shield value, the regen would fail, because you can't regen past your shield value, and once it's discarded, your shield value has changed.

But it's definitely not clear cut at all.

You place a number of shield tokens on your ship equal to your shield value during setup.  There’s nothing that says the number of tokens you have cannot exceed your shield value, just that every regen ability states you cannot regen shields over your value.  So if your shield value was increased by SU but you lose your upgrade, your shield value goes down but at that moment does not affect your tokens.

now, like @thespaceinvadersaid, if you have SU on an X-Wing with chopper and you lose one shield, you can use chop to discard the SU but then you can not regain the shield, since you cannot regen over your new value.  I think.  It’s like spending a TL to fire a weapon, it’s a price to pay to use an action.

10 hours ago, GrimmyV said:

You place a number of shield tokens on your ship equal to your shield value during setup.  There’s nothing that says the number of tokens you have cannot exceed your shield value, just that every regen ability states you cannot regen shields over your value.  So if your shield value was increased by SU but you lose your upgrade, your shield value goes down but at that moment does not affect your tokens.

now, like @thespaceinvadersaid, if you have SU on an X-Wing with chopper and you lose one shield, you can use chop to discard the SU but then you can not regain the shield, since you cannot regen over your new value.  I think.  It’s like spending a TL to fire a weapon, it’s a price to pay to use an action.

The first paragraph makes sense to me: If Bossk hits a Shield Upgrade ship with Advanced Homing Missiles and uses Boba Fett to discard a shield upgrade, I don't think the defender would discard a shield token.  Has this come up before?  I could be wrong.

I'd be inclined to think a Chopper ship could discard shield upgrade if missing any shields, but would have to use the new, lower maximum shield level.

I don't think they would either.

But that's not that case here.  With Chopper they would be losing the shield upgrade *whilst they don't have that shield token* - because you can't do regen abilities if you're at full shields at all.

So the sequence is, e.g. with Chop on a T70.

Start with 4 shields and a shield value of 4.

Lose a shield to an attack or whatever.  Now have 3 shields and a shield value of 4.

Use Chopper.

Remove shield upgrade.  Now have 3 shields and a shield value of 3.

Regen fails because you can't regen over your shield value.

Possibly, the shield upgrade is not discarded, because FFG is generally forgiving about resetting situations like this back to first principles.

On 3/27/2018 at 1:06 PM, Tailsgod said:

Doe Chopper discarding Shield Upgrade work? No right? You would lose the shield when its discarded right?

I think the Boba Fett ruling applies to this. 

Part 1) "If Boba Fett is used to discard a card that allows an additional card to be equipped during squad building (such as Royal Guard TIE, R2-D6, or Mist Hunter), any additional equipped cards are not discarded."

A token would just be in place of card in this case. The card gives you the affect of getting of being able to take an extra shield token.

Part 2) "If Boba Fett is used to discard cards such as Extra Munitions or Jabba the Hutt, any previously placed ordnance or illicit tokens can still be used for their effects."

Part 2) You don't lose the token because you lose the card. 

On 27/03/2018 at 7:31 PM, thespaceinvader said:

Personally I'd say that you could discard it with (your normal shield value -1) shields, and regen up to your original shield value but if you discarded it whilst at your original shield value, the regen would fail, because you can't regen past your shield value, and once it's discarded, your shield value has changed.

But it's definitely not clear cut at all.

This. Your shield value on your pilot card determines:

• The number of shield tokens you get at deployment
  • The maximum number of shield tokens you can have at any one time

It has no effect on the number of tokens you have during the game (so long as it's less than this limit).

Provided your shields are sufficiently gipped then you can burn the modification and recieve a shield token. It's only a problem if your (now reduced) shield value would prevent you recieving the token (i.e. you've only lost one shield), in which case you can't really use 'Chopper' because at best you discard the modification for no effect.