KalEl814

Kal's Legion Painting Checklist and Painting Emporium ***56K Warning***

Oh, hello. I didn't see you there.

I maintain a tracker / shopping list of the paints @Sorastro uses in his excellent Legion tutorial series.

Column A is paint color "heatmap." As he adds tutorials, I add columns. As paints get used more and more, the highlighting changes so you can see which paints get used most often. There isn't a ton of Legion content out yet, so everything's red or orange. That said I assume that the IA color frequency will be a decent barometer for Legion since they're both Star Wars. If you're going to roll Citadel, investing in Nuln Oil, Agrax Earthshade, Leadbelcher, Abbadon Black, Ceramite White / White Scar, and Mephiston Red is a great place to start for the Empire, and gives you some nice foundations for Rebel accessories and guns, too. From there your mileage may vary depending on the scheme you're using for the Rebels.

Other columns should be self explanatory, with the exception of D. Some folks on the IA forum here kept a local copy of the tracker. As Sorastro added guides, I added paints and episodes, but since I sort my paint list alphabetically, it was hard for people to add "new colors" since they'd show up in column A based on name, and not on recency. If you download and sort by column D, you can find "new" paints pretty easily as goodies get added.

The tracker is current through Darth Vader as of the OP.

In addition to managing spreadsheets, I also paint from time to time.

0TtHfw8.jpg

Here's my first, finished Rebel Trooper squad! I mainly followed Soratro's tutorial but I didn't have Death Guard Green so I mixed up an equivalent with Skarsnik Green and VGC's Cold Grey. They're all standing on bases painted with Vallejo's brown earth gel / texture/ goop, then washed with Athonian Camoshade. Basing products aside from that include mostly Army Painter stuff (steppe grass, moss, black / brown battleground, green grass, highland tufts, and wasteland tufts) some Citadel tufts (mordheim and middenland), and some shrubbery from Woodland Scenics.

8Yn2Dvz.jpg

Closeup (kinda?) of the squad leader.

TTZejs4.jpg

Z-6 trooper ready to budda budda budda budda

P9V0qir.jpg

Duros, ready to pew!

mDp6gNY.jpg

Ion trooper ready to spam your vehicles.

tYqWs6C.jpg

ADS! It's not just for PUBG anymore!

And here's a preview of one of my Stormie squads. Someone took The Emperor a little too literally when he asked for an elite force to contend with the threat posed by Gold Squadron...

HQdiyTU.jpg

That's it for now, kids. Stay in school!

Edited by KalEl814

10 minutes ago, KalEl814 said:

ADS! It's not just for PUBG anymore!

And here's a preview of one of my Stormie squads. Someone took The Emperor a little too literally when he asked for an elite force to contend with the threat posed by Gold Squadron...

HQdiyTU.jpg

That's it for now, kids. Stay in school!

Oh no, not Bling Troopers!

14 minutes ago, Animewarsdude said:

Oh no, not Bling Troopers!

If I didn't honestly love the iconic look of "normal" Stormies so much, I would ABSOLUTELY take a squad, base it pink, black out the weapons / bodysuit / relevant helmet areas, cover the whole gang in the thinnest layer of glue on the armor, then sprinkle Secret Weapon's crushed glass over all the pink spaces. PINK GUMDROP LEGION WILL EAT YOUR FACE.

Edited by KalEl814

4 minutes ago, Stasy said:

As gawdy as those troops are, I can't help but to love them. :lol:

Perhaps, "Stay golden pony boy."

Exactly.

Anyway my plans are to wash them with Seraphim Seipa, black out the gun / helmet bits / bodysuit, then hlighlight the edges.

Edited by KalEl814

On 27/03/2018 at 6:19 PM, KalEl814 said:

HQdiyTU.jpg

That's it for now, kids. Stay in school

I mention “blingtroopers” once now everyone is doing it. If anyone copies my “pimptroopers” there will be hel* to pay.

out of interest what gold paint did you use?

hey, I recognise that coffee cup from your IA painting

Edited by Jabby

2 hours ago, Jabby said:

I mention “blingtroopers” once now everyone is doing it. If anyone copies my “pimptroopers” there will be hel* to pay.

out of interest what gold paint did you use?

hey, I recognise that coffee cup from your IA painting

I used a Retributor Armor rattle can. 

And the Stormies are done! Here's more photos of my coffee / brush cleaning mug that just happens to have minis in front of it.

O0mXgQN.jpg

Here's my desert squad. Tried to keep their armor generally clean looking. There's some satin varnish on them which is hard to see because I'm bad at photos. As with a lot of my Stormies I think they look really rad, but they photograph poorly. Their faces look cleaner IRL than my phone makes them look. For this batch it was Vallejo brown earth washed with Agrax Earthshade, then topped with Citadel's sand and Mordheim tufts. Some bases have Army Painter rocks which I left unpainted since I felt like they jived with the theme.

DCrZCwO.jpg

In my heart, that's Kayn Somos and will be until he's a named Legion unit.  Again, the coffee mug is OP and Kayn looks better in IRL than he appears in the shot.

O0mXgQN.jpg

Big pews from the desert squad!

dVmTg9f.jpg

Basic desert Stormtrooper, looking pretty darn fresh if I may say so.

tLNoIYQ.jpg

Here's my muddy forest squad. No satin varnish on these. The ground is Secret Weapon leaf litter (both varieties) on top of Vallejo brown earth paste washed with Biel Tan Green. I tried to imagine these guys walking through a muddy forest and getting covered with grime kicked up by nearby explosions, and thought the leaf litter gave a nice forest debris vibe as well.

YRq3Qu7.jpg

Grimy sniper.

qlbDob3.jpg

His equivalently dirty friend.

vHaqM7D.jpg

Here's the finished 24 karat kill squad, trudging through the grass. These guys are pretty ridiculous looking but I'm happy with how they came out! Retributor Armor primer, washed with Seraphim Sepia, highlighted back up with a Retributor Armor pot on the prominent areas. Base is Vallejo's black mud (or whatever it's called) washed with nothing and then various Army Painter products like I used in my first Rebel squad.

Nj3bc1O.jpg

Gold sniper!

dryqGrC.jpg

Gold HH-12 & friends.

Sx4cZjJ.jpg

Just your basic, solid gold Stormtrooper.

Next up should be more Rebels, mixing in the AT-RT riders. Hopefully will get one of them done soon!

1 hour ago, BigBadAndy said:

In the first shot, the gold stormtroopers looked like Oscars from the Academy Awards.  But by the end they actually look toned down and strangely credible by the end.

The rest of your guys look amazing.

Thanks!

You’re giving me an idea for Stormies, The Imperial Academy Legion Awards :P

Second squad of Rebel Troopers is done.

YBk2AS9.jpg

Followed sorastro's tutorial generally, though I used a darker blue to start off, Vallejo Model Color's Luftwaffe Uniform WWII. My colors don't pop as much as his, but I was going for something a little more muted.

nn4wI4H.jpg

Squad leader. Goggles are Vallejo Game Color Electric Blue. Base is just Astrogranite Debris washed with Nuln Oil. I wanted a rough pavement / asphalt kinda look and I think this did the trick.

5pwA02w.jpg

ADS, kids. It helps.

5ZBiKUH.jpg

budda budda budda budda budda budda. I'm not sure if this gun makes that sound in the canon... but it does in my heart.

TOpJX4r.jpg

I, AM TUROK. I mean... DUROS.

5EBLjzO.jpg

Ion canon lady looking for her next target.

f63QZAh.jpg

Also I painted one of my range rulers to look like a lightsaber because of course I did.

cSHfRb5.jpg

My "last" Rebel Trooper squad (assuming I can resist the siren song of another themed unit). I decided to go for a color scheme inspired by and similar to the box art.

bNPq2qL.jpg

Here's the leader. Went with a tennis ball fluorescent look for his googles so the color would pop from gaming distance. Also decided to not go with a camo theme on this unit in favor of some thinned wash for shading. You can tell from the little nipple on his hat that I remain chronically afraid of using a knife to eliminate mold lines. Pretty sure the paints are Vallejo's German Fieldgrey, the jacket is Vallejo Iraqi Sand, and the leather is Vallejo English Uniform. Tuskgor Fur from Citadel is what I used on the band around the hat, then I washed it a few times to darken it and make it a little less pink.

7DF5vVU.jpg

Did a lousy job with the left shoulder here that I might give some TLC later.  Padding on this guy is Citadel's Tuskgor Fur washed with Nuln Oil a few times.

FBDSHSE.jpg

budda budda budda budda budda budda

Zb6kJ5C.jpg

AT-RT fleeing a coffee mug. Went a little HAM keeping the firing arcs obvious, but better safe than sorry. I broke this guy putting him together, so it's just glue and the piston holding the leg on. I also put magnets inside the AT-RTs and on the end of the weapons so I can swap them out depending on my upgrades.

2yaZaeY.jpg

I had to take a closeup of this. I'm over the moon with how well the rust effect came out here! I've never used Secret Weapon's rust paints before so I was a little skeptical about buying a set of them that I'd only use on some minis with metal some of the time. But... I'm in love. The brown spots are a mix of Secret Weapon's Red Rust and Citadel's Typhus Corrosion that I sponged on. The orange bits are Secret Weapon's Orange Rust selectively applied. You can see how I did something similar on the engine in the background, and a little on the flamethrower.

JRLEt14.jpg

Urban camo AT-RT. I went for a more subtle weathering effect since this guy isn't in the desert, but leaned harder into the green color "chipping" off.

j79pIhE.jpg

The Rex sculpt!

mW3TBiE.jpg

I stole this from someone else on imgur, so... all credit to that person I cannot recall for the idea. But here's a Threepio movement tool. Gonna do Atroo and BB8 for the speed 2 and 1 tools.

Just Luke left and I'm done with the Rebels! But Leia and the Fleet Troopers are coming... hopefully before Memorial Day weekend... and I have Speeder Bikes and Vader and Veers... Good times.

Edited by KalEl814

Lo, I have returned. This time... Fleet Troopers!

iXyngvK.jpg

For this squad, I went with a shirt color that reminded me of the orange jumpsuits we see Star Wars pilots wear from time to time in the OT. I don't know how likely it is we'll see pilots as ground troops in Legion so I decided to bust out the Wild Rider Red. Vests, boots, and guns all start with German Grey. Leader's vest is Iraqi Sand washed with Seraphim Sepia, and his pant strips is Macgragge Blue, washed with Drakenhof Nightshade, then highlighted back up with the Macgragge. Pants are Deck Tan mixed with something I've since forgotten, washed with a thinned combo of Nuln Oil and Agrax Earthshade. The base was Vallejo's thick mud sprinkled with various Army Painter flocks and effects.

i7dulUF.jpg

I like the sculpts a lot in this expansion, even if 2 of them are pretty similar to one another...

PiOBzsE.jpg

Here's the MPL-57 guy, wondering if he's worth the points. The corpses he's left in his wake resent the skepticism.

3XtoSZ1.jpg

One of my favorite sculpts in the game so far. I love her pose.

DeZOYF2.jpg

Scatter Gun guy. I kept the non-silver parts of the guns blacked out in this expansion for the most part, with only a little highlighting. I like the more muted effect, especially against the bright shirt.

RGZM3vc.jpg

The more screen accurate squad. Fenrisian Grey for the shirts this time around.

udH8jqQ.jpg

More Scatter Gun action.

yxgVT82.jpg

Again with that pose. And only one foot on the ground means that there's more room for base effects. Win-win.

uMK55i1.jpg

Red lightsaber range ruler, for when I'm playing Imperial.

ilPxXXb.jpg

Again I take no credit for the idea, but here are my BB-8, Artoo, and Threepio inspired movement tools.

5 minutes ago, VAYASAN said:

Thats such a vivid red, really stands out.

Yeah, I was going for something that would pop and differentiate the squads at a distance and this does the trick. I suppose it's possible someone could build terrain simulating battle on an enormous orange slice, but that seems unlikely.

Man, your fleet troopers look great.  I have to say, though, that a C3PO movement 3 tool just seems wrong.  Threepio wouldn’t move that fast if you strapped a rocket to him...

Edited by BigBadAndy

2 hours ago, BigBadAndy said:

Man, your fleet troopers look great.  I have to say, though, that a C3PO movement 3 tool just seems wrong.  Threepio wouldn’t move that fast if you strapped a rocket to him...

Thanks! And I know that feel about Threepio. It was based on size only. ?